Creative and Unique Action Stations for Cocktail Hour

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

TracyEsq Posts : 15 Registered: 8/27/10
Creative and Unique Action Stations for Cocktail Hour
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 3:01 PM

I'm trying to come up with some different and innovative ideas for action stations to have during my cocktail reception. The venue for our wedding already has many interesting options, some of which we'll be choosing. However, I really want my wedding to stand out, and come up with something that not too many people have seen. This is kind of important because a close friend picked the same venue for her wedding, four weeks after my wedding. Thanks in advance!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Creative and Unique Action Stations for Cocktail Hour
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

What do you mean by action stations?

I ask because when I read your post, immediately a scene of wedding guests going to one station to have their faces painted and then another station to... popped into my head.

And somehow I don't think that is what you mean.

TracyEsq Posts : 15 Registered: 8/27/10
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Hahaha, not exactly. No face painting at the wedding. Action stations are chef-manned stations to serve certain kinds of things at cocktail hours or buffet weddings. For example, carving station, pasta station, crepe station, etc.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

Ah - I knew I wasn't right, but I figured I'd ask for a clarification. It was the first thing that popped into my head and I hoped I was wrong, but one can never be too sure... LOL

I'll think on it and see if I can get back to you with any ideas.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

I'm a fan of the mashed potato bar myself. I dont know how chef-manned it is but I know chef blowtorched some marshmallows on my sweet potatoes one time. (thats what she said LOL)

However just a word of caution, I wouldnt go TOO crazy with these things. I only mention this b/c i went to a wedding with crazy stations, massive amounts of antipasta and other platters and I literally ate 2 bites of my actual meal.

So maybe 2 "action stations" tops, then then some cheese/veggies, and other assorted hords would be good.

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

I'd talk to the coordinator at the site you've selected. She knows it, and has done tons, and has that knowledge :)

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

Personally I love taco and burrito stations.

Or you could sorta re-create Subway for a familiar feel for guests. (unless they all go there for lunch alot... then it's an annoyance)

And for the record:
Face painting is awesome! I'd have my face painted at a wedding if there was a station for it.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

Here's an idea with the whole close-friend-same-venue situation: YOU'RE first, so you have the advantage. People are going to be reminded of your wedding at your friend's, not the other way around.I would try to ditch the whole "I want a completely different wedding than anyone has ever had" idea, because every wedding is different in some ways and the same in others. I would concentrate more about making your guests comfortable (well organized schedule, enough bathrooms) and picking whatever reflects the personality of you and your fiance as a couple. After all, the wedding and reception are about your new commitment to each other, and not whether Suzy Jane is going to top you a few weeks later. Plus, she couldn't if she tried, because you're not the same people, and you're way more in love, right? ;)

If you really want something different, I would go for crazy decorations instead of crazy food. Wild colors (or all white), different patterns, and such will make more of an overall statement than whether you have chicken breast or Fillet Mignon. I also think that knowing what I'm about to eat has to fit in with the comfort thing, too. If I don't know what it is, I'm probably not going to eat it. I'd rather hit up a deli tray and run to the dance floor than wonder what's up with the glaze on the pork chop...

Hope this is some help to you, good luck on the planning!

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Nov 4, 2010 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: TracyEsq

It's always fun to have some unique stations during cocktail hour, but I have to agree with NJ4life about not going overboard with too much food before sitting down to an actual dinner. My daughter just went to a wedding with at least six stations (very big-ticket affair) and everyone was too stuffed to actually eat the dinner.

Among the ones that I have seen: pasta (pre-cooked plain pastas,choices of sauces and add-ins); taco; deli carving (corned beef, pastrami, etc.); mashed potato bar; omlettes (best for brunch); sushi. And, of course, cheeses, veggies (fresh or roasted), fruits, lamb chops.

My daughter just saw a mushroom bar--a table piled with all kinds of fresh domestic and wild mushrooms, sauteed to order in butter (yummy!) Another station (same wedding) had schwarma (meat on a spit), freshly carved with fresh grilled Middle-Eastern bread. There also were salads (cous cous, Chinese chicken,etc.) scooped out into wine glasses. And a sushi station, deli, etc. As I said, delicious, but too much.

One that I really enjoyed and had never seen before was a chef who had paper thin slices of three different kinds of fresh fish (swordfish and salmon--don't remember the third) that were grilled to order on slabs of hot rock.

One of the most elegant weddings that I've ever attended had just three stations: mini deli sandwiches; sushi; mashed potato bar. There may have been a caviar station also. There was a martini luge, open bar, and lots of champagne. It was just enough without being too much.

On the other hand, one of the most expensive weddings that I've ever attended must have had about ten stations--but the room was so overcrowded that we didn't even see half of them ("Sushi? What sushi?") and people were so packed in that it was not an enjoyable experience. I also have seen buffets and stations that were not accessible, so people were lined up, pushing, starving, etc. So, it's not just what food you serve, but how everything is set up that will make it or break it for your guests.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine