VOTE!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
VOTE!
Posted: Nov 1, 2010 1:51 PM

That's it. I just read that the largest influence in tomorrow's elections will be the people who stay home. How sad! If you ever want to be entitled to an opinion again, get out there and vote. If you don't, then don't blame anyone else for whatever situation you (and the country) are in.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Re: VOTE!
Posted: Nov 1, 2010 6:49 PM Go to message in response to: myras

I'm going to try!

Seems though I've slipped through the voter registration cracks in my state though, which I just discovered this weekend. I voted here two years ago, and registered on my driver's license, but for some reason, I show up NOWHERE! I never checked before, since I voted here after I moved here in the last election.

Today I called two counties, the DMV, and election officials. I'm really hoping they'll accept an emergency registration tomorrow morning since I honestly thought I was registered!

Don't let that happen to you!

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Nov 1, 2010 9:14 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

I wish I could. I'm still in Sweden and since I'm not a resident of America (even though I have citizenship), I can't vote.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 12:23 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I know it's too late for you to vte in this election, but (for the future), can't American citizens vote if they make arrangements beforehand? Certainly, military can, and I know that Americans abroad can vote by mail, but I don't know anything for sure about non-residents. Interesting dilemma.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 4:41 AM Go to message in response to: myras

I've actually looked into it pretty extensively: since I live in Sweden, and I am not military personnel, I can't claim my right to vote. If I were over here for an extended period of time (but technically not live here; so long as my registered address of residence is in the States), then I could file paperwork to vote abroad, but situation is a bit in the gray area. I'm afraid dual citizenship isn't really something the American government took the time to plan for.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 10:13 AM Go to message in response to: myras

Done.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: myras

I know most election ads are pretty brutal and negative but this one, by far, was the WORST. And to be very honest, it turned me completely OFF to voting at all this time around. I live in NJ and I think in my area we had a congressman up for election. However, b/c I live very close to Philly and Delaware, all I heard was BASHING everytime the TV was on. Christine O'Donnell--OMG if I never hear her or see her again, that will be too soon. Both states (PA and Del.) have HUGE elections going on today.

I vote in every other election and if we were voting for Governer or Senator in NJ I would vote (and have). But the ads completely leave a bad taste in my mouth.

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I was successful and got to fill out an emergency registration. DF and I went together this morning and got it done!

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: MizJodi

Yay---good for you!!

NJ4life, I certainly hear you about the negative compaigning. But, the reason it happens is that, time and time again, negative ads have proved successful. And, if they turn off and keep thoughtful voters like you home from the polls--well, they have been successful again, because the unthinking mobs are expected to turn out in droves and vote for all of the negative campaigners. So, nauseating as the ads may be, the best way to combat them is to VOTE for the people who actually make sense.

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Amen Myras!

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: myras

No campaign makes sense in Illinois. Either someone comes across as another corrupt politician, or a complete loony. If someone wasn't corrupt and made a lick of sense, I'd vote for them. I'm registered and would like to vote, but no one around here is worth it. I can't even tell if anyone is a lesser of 2 evils.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

I hear ya April.

I voted. But I don't think any politician is worth the time to spit on them at this point. And I keep thinking that maybe one will change my mind, to be right back where I was.

I had a house race where I am, but the incumbent won't lose it. I'm OK with that, he's not too bad.

We did have some state constitutional issues though, those were actually more important this time around.

although as my husband points out his vote just cancels mine. LOL

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Well if I lived in Delaware I'd probably go vote against Christine O'Donnell just because she annoys me. And her opponent, Chris Coons, wasn't as negative or obnoxious.

As a voter I want to know their positions on things. I don't wanna know that John Runyan bought 3 donkeys so he could get away with calling his house a farm. And yes, that was an ad out of Pennsylvania. That doesn't tell me where his opponent stands on things. Sure I could look it up, but the best way to get people like me (who are probably lke the rest of us, watching TV) is to campaign on commercials and tell me WHERE YOU STAND.

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ

I'd vote against her too. But I don't get to. I guess that's ok though. I'm one of those immoral pro-masturbation types. (tee hee hee)

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

MAYBE in some far off land she has some good ideas about government. I agree with her on a smaller government. BUT the media totally KILLED her with her comments from years ago. Then it went all national, so I am hearing about it on local Philly news AND on national news. That would be enough for me to vote against her. It wasn't even her opponent attacking her which was the best part. He didnt have to do a thing!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine