The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!

Online Users: 1,222 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,599

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Re: The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

So I went to the doctors yesterday and it wasn't much more than an informational meeting. It certainly did help the hubs and I start talking about stuff. They asked about the testing (trisomy 18, downs, etc.). We hadn't really discussed it before and I think that at this point it's just one more thing to worry about. It wouldn't change our minds about the pregnancy so why worry. It would be one thing if it was 100% accurate but it isn't. Not to mention since we live in hickville, USA we'd have to travel to have it done.

They weren't even going to confirm the pregnancy. She said since I've taken 6 HPT's and they are all positive and I'm showing the early signs of pregnancy, I'm pregnant. They did blood work though and I asked he to just confirm my levels so we have a baseline if anything goes sideways. Hubs was really excited after we left there! :) I still can't believe it!

I still have cramping which makes me nervous. It just feels like I'm going to get my period any second... and hopefully I don't!

I'll have to go back to work after the baby comes. No choice there. I actually think I'd want to. I really like my job and get paid well so it kind of just makes sense. My MIL has already offered to come to the house and watch the baby a few days a week for me. The other days the baby will have to go to a sitter or daycare. Since where we live is relatively rural there are a lot of inexpensive places where the baby could go.

Hubs and I were talking about the babies room the other day. I wanted to paint the walls and he turned it down... :( Hopefully, we won't be there too much longer and we'd most likely have to repaint before we sold. I have a feeling I'll be able to convince him otherwise in the next 8 months! I'm a total geek for decorating/coordinating so I will most likely have the matchy matchy crap, lol. I've still got plenty of time though before I need to start worrying about that though. However, I have been stalking The Land of Nod. Damn, that stuff is cute!

wedding ticker for myspace  BabyFruit Ticker

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: MrsPaul

It looks as though drop-sided cribs are pretty much coming off the market. They are now making cribs that look like a drop-side, but the side doesn't move. We have a drop-sided crib, but will be replacing it before the next baby. Luckily, it was only about $129 (Graco crib made by Lajobi, recommended by Baby Bargains)

I decided against the bumpers in the crib for two main reasons, first, the SIDS risk, and second, you can only really use them until the baby starts pulling up since they can use it to try and climb out of the crib. I would get a breathable mesh bumper if we were having issues with the baby getting her leg or arm stuck, but Faith has never made a habit of that thankfully. Oh, it might be good to note, we did buy a baby bumper for the coffee table when Faith started pulling up. It happened to be the perfect length to go around the table edge.

I have also heard that co-sleeping or room sharing is supposed to help with SIDS, along with air movement. We kept Faith in our masterbed room until 5 months, then moved her to her bedroom. She always slept in her crib though, I was too nervous about co-sleeping so we just room shared.

Faith's crib has always been very basic - a crib, mattress, sheets, and a lightweight baby blanket. I bought the Starlight Support All Foam mattress recommended by Baby Bargains, and we love it. I haven't needed a waterproof mattress pad since the mattress has a solid cover and can just be wiped down between sheet changes if need be.

The Ethan Allen canopy bed my parents bought when I was two years old was passed down to Faith so that is in her room with rocking chair and a dresser with a changing pad on top. I have 7 yards of a pretty floral to make window treatments and decorative pillows with and we made a duvet cover from sheets that coordinates with the fabric. I was planning to sew the valance and pillows myself, but I just don't have time. I actually need to find someone to make them so its off my to do list.

NJ, I hear you on wanting to decorate the bedroom and make it picture perfect! I really wanted to do that, but DH was laid off a couple months before Faith was born so it was one of the things I cut out. DH is making great money now, so I am actually getting to decorate.

My theory is if you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it. And if you cannot afford it, or have no interest, that is great too. Its really about what makes you happy, the baby will feel loved either way!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ladies, here's a link to a breathable bumper:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266849

I don't actually own it, but it's an example of the mesh bumpers that are available. It allows more air circulation than a padded bumper would. It's not just an issue of the baby moving up against it and suffocating.

preview image

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

My theory is if you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it. And if you cannot afford it, or have no interest, that is great too. Its really about what makes you happy, the baby will feel loved either way!

Yep! I have to admit that the most matchy whatever I've ever been in my life was with my wedding - and even that wasn't super decorated or whatnot.

I think I'm just missing that gene. LOL

EDIT: And it might be connected to the gene that wants a diamond wedding ring - LOL. I STILL get told I'm going to regret not having a diamond - stupid people.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Oct 7, 2010 1:09 PM

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I was just surfing babies r us and i stumbled upon awesome sale furniture. If you buy all three pieces (Crib, changing table/dresser, and tall dresser) it is $899. Each piece is $399 if you buy seperately. And they have a pretty good layaway plan. The ILs sold DH's childhood furniture recently and gave us the $ from that to go towards the baby's furniture. So this works out pretty nicely. We were already planning to start the registry on Saturday so we're going to see if we like the furniture while we are there... And I love the lawaway option.

See after the SIDS discussion I googled it. And the one website I came across says co-sleeping increases the SIDS chance. But basically they said that the SIDS name is given to any baby who dies suddenly with no other cause they can find. And there are really no common denominators--just that it can happen to anyone really. Sounds a lot like any other extreme unfortunate event that can happen to anyone.

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I still get nervous about SIDS. We don't use blankets for Dylan. We do used the bumper b/c he moves around so much. I still check him a couple of times at night. He was in our room until 4 months sleeping in the play pen. I wouldn't feel comfortable with co-sleeping

We have a stanionery crib from babies r us. We lower the mattress when he started to sit up. We got the dresser/changing table. Ikea have this storages unit that you can miss and match. Is wood with plastic drawers, doors and or boxes. Since that one give us more room, I put the changing pad there. My parents gave us the money for the furnirture and my sister for the traveling system.

I'm a matching matching person, lol. But b/c I was bedrested I gave DH freedom to remodeled the room. He got rid of the carpet and had laminated wood floor installed and an area rug. He painted with two shades of blue and a trim in the middle in three walls and one wall is with the darker blue. It turn out very good. I choosed mickey mouse vintage for the sheets. We don't use the comforted at all, lol.

DH and I are both home injured. DH hurt his tailbone apparently workingn out on Tuesday. Lastnight it was hurting so much that he ended up going to ER at 2am by himself. There was no one we could call to baby sit. I was helping him to get ready (he couldn't dress up on his own) and I got dizzy (I think from the clarityn I took earlier). I laid down and started feeling better and stand up, went to the living room to said goodbye to him. He left and I felt dizzy again. I started walking back to my room and I don't know how the hell I felt on the bathroom, like if i was coming out of the bathroom. I think I hit my head with the bathroom door. My right arm, hand wrist and back hurts from falling.
I had to crawled to my bedroom.
DH got xrays and a bone on his vertebral is longer and pulled it off. So this can happen again. He's in so much pain. Since he was driving they didn't give him anything there. So I waited to the pharmacy to open and got his prescription. I know exactely how he feels. I feel on the stairs of my first appt and hurt my tailbone. I couldn't go to work for a week.

I took Dylan to his day care and I was planning on going to work for a briefing, but my back started to hurt more and more. And I knew I was going to be stuck in traffic for an hr. I'm wearing an icy hot patch and is helping.

My sister called me this morning and was freakingg out. She went on an on how something worse could had happened and I was alone. She thinks is the sugars level on my sugar. We both have hypoglecimea (sp?).

Off to get Dylan from day care. I feel weird without him in the house. But both DH and I got a much needed nap.

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

The bumper issue is a ventilation issue so it gets looped into sleeping on the back vs sleeping on the stomach and the child being in a position of re-breathing air. I can't seem to find the one study now (hard to do to much at work) - but there's a number of schools of thought - however, a lot of the recommendations - like not putting your child to bed on its stomach also include proper ventilation and making sure the bumpers used allow for that - so some of the schools of thought prefer not to use the padded bumpers.

I've eaten blue cheese - THE HORROR. So as with everything - you pick and choose.

EDIT: Here's the recommendations by the NIH http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/sudden_infant_death_syndrome.cfm

Sy - BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!! That's not good for either one of you.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Oct 7, 2010 2:37 PM

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I had feta yesterday!! Watch out!!

And today I had an extra soda... Dear sweet grilled cheesus!

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Please grilled chesus.....LOL

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I have yet to really meet someone who really does follow the more "silly" rules to a T like the cheese and lunchmeat thing. Pretty much everyone I talk to who has been or is pregnant says "oh yea I've eaten that" at some point!

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

That's what I heard too. Air flow so the oxygen level doesn't drop or something like that. I think I even read that even ceiling fans can help. Or maybe that's wishful thinking since we always run our ceiling fans when we have the heat or air conditioner on to help the air circulate better. Plus I cannot sleep without the soft hummer of the ceiling fan. I am addicted to the white noise it creates!

Also cosleeping, if done safely, can reduce the risk of SIDS because infants will naturally fall into the breathing rhythm of their mother . That's why room sharing, like you did, is also effective. The problem with cosleeping is not everyone does it safely, but its actually very common in many cultures which have a much lower SIDS rates.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

zxc1 Posts : 1 Registered: 10/29/10
Re: pregnancy not happening
Posted: Oct 29, 2010 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: NatSeptBride

I was on birth control pills for 10 years, and I just stopped taking them at the end of June. We've been unofficially trying to get pregnant since July, but my insurance just kicked in effect today. So now we are officially trying.
Wedding cufflinks

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: Oct 29, 2010 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: zxc1

I know I haven't been around in forever!!!! I've been ridiculously busy! I'll try to catch up on everything this weekend!

I hope you're all doing well!

Nat (23) Nate (33) L&E- March 17, 2010 A- January 26, 2011

MrMcManus Posts : 2 Registered: 11/12/10
Posted: Nov 12, 2010 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Well, when it does happen here is some help to stay in shape while you are pregnant and beyond... http://bit.ly/bNDaqS

MrMcManus Posts : 2 Registered: 11/12/10
Posted: Nov 12, 2010 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

When it does happen, here is help to keep in shape, during & beyond your pregnancy...http://bit.ly/bNDaqS

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine