Non-monogamous couples thread

Online Users: 1,307 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 145

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: Non-monogamous couples thread
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: jennyR1

Wow, I thought this thread was lost and dead.

As the OP, I'd like to thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad that you and your husband have developed a system that works for you. Communication and trust is vital for a healthy sex life, no matter if it's monogamous or open.

jessc2010 Posts : 19 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 7:39 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

whether you're religious or not, the point of marriage is loving and committing to ONE woman or ONE man! If you want to be involved in this type of relationship then there is no point in getting married.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

That's the point of your marriage. It's the point of mine also, but my marriage isn't for everyone and vice versa.

To each his own.

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Oct 27, 2010 1:16 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Another late poster! :)

I just read the whole thread and the only thing standing out in my mind is the child abuse accusations. My parents dated around together (no, I don't want details, but I know sex was involved). I find it offensive that people would judge my parents (and others like them) so harshly. They are good people. They give back to their community and they did their damnedest to raise me to be a responsible citizen. And I am. In no way was I ever abused by my parents.

Just saying.

Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

sarahkayfa Posts : 7 Registered: 4/10/11
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: MissApril

Wow-Surprised by some of the violent reactions to the thread, but I guess I shouldn't be.
The one thing I wanted to say is in response to the people who said that non-monogamous couples are breaking their marriage vows....

You decide what marriage vows to make. Marriage is a commitment but it doesn't have to be a religious commitment. If you aren't vowing monogamy, you aren't breaking any vows. Marriages come in all kinds. and even when they don't look like yours, doesn't mean they aren't equally valid.

My partner and I are getting married, currently we are monogamous, but we haven't always been, and we may not always be. We may be just as happy, with just the two of us, for the rest of our lives together. We may enjoy acting out some fantasies. But the point is, we do what works for us. We don't take our relationship lightly, and the choices we make about our sex life, we make together.

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: sarahkayfa

it doesn't matter whether you are religious or not, marriage is meant to be a commitment between two people! my husband and I are not religious at all. our marriage and our vows have nothing to do with religion, it's about wanting to commit to each other. marriage is a commitment between two people. . . . .if you're not going to commit to that one person you shouldn't have gotten married

Edited by: jessc2010 on Apr 11, 2011 9:50 PM

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

There is no definition of marriage that includes sexual monogamy. Monogamy is an understanding between two people, not a requirement of marriage.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

And as I said, my partner and I are committed to each other, and monagamous. And if we weren't monagamous, we'd be not less committed to each other. I'd like to point out>As I said, I'm not married. You said,'One man, One woman' and I don't believe I advocated for polygamous marriage in my post, either, although I don't care what other people do in their private lives and relationships.

Edited by: sarahkayfa on Apr 12, 2011 1:37 PM

Edited by: sarahkayfa on Apr 12, 2011 3:31 PM

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: sarahkayfa

you said you and your partner are monogomous but even if you weren't that wouldn't mean you weren't commited to each other. umm yeah that's exactly what that would mean.
I don't care what people do in their personal/private lives either. . . . .if you're not commited to your partner that's fine, it's none of my business. but I have a problem with the people that are saying you can have sex with people other than your partner but you're commited to your partner because you're not monogomous.

Posted: Apr 12, 2011 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

I'd venture to say you do care, since you're so concerned about my future marriage. I dont think sex is the measure of commitment. You do. And there, we disagree.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

That's because in your view monogamy is a requirement of commitment.

It doesn't have to be.

Put it this way - you can be committed to raising your daughter. Doesn't mean that by having a son, you're less committed to raising your daughter.

There are millions of Americans who have non-monogamous relationships with their partners. I'm friends with some of them. With one couple, he was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I know what they're going through, and there's no way you could tell me that they are not committed.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine