Did you have a wedding slideshow?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

Kate2012 Posts : 30 Registered: 1/25/10
Did you have a wedding slideshow?
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 10:58 AM

I really like the idea of having a slideshow at our wedding. Just wodnering if anyone has done a wedding slideshow or been to a wedding with one. Did the guest enjoy it? About how long was it? and when during the night was it shown?

Thanks so much if anyone has any answers!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Did you have a wedding slideshow?
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Dear Kate,

Yes, I've seen several wedding slideshows. In my opinion, they are best when set up on a table where people can browse by at their leisure.

The alternative is to stop everything and say "Hey, everyone, now we need you all to watch this slideshow" and then make everyone sit there and endure the whole thing. Within a few minutes, you'll start hearing the buzz of conversation as people's attention spans wear out.

Set up a laptop on a side table (securing the laptop if necessary), start the slideshow on a continuous loop, then forget about it. People can drift by and watch as long as they want.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Hello! We had one! Actually we had two. One was during our first dance. I made a slideshow of pictures through out the years. My husband and I were together for 7 years before we got married so there were lots of pictures to share. I also added some baby and childhood pictures of us.

During the father/daughter dance I showed a slideshow of my dad and me through the years. I just thought it was a sweet thing to do.

I really dont know if guests liked it. I never asked them. What matters is that I liked it and thought it was meaningful :)

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I have seen slideshows more often at rehearsal dinners than at actual wedding receptions. Aunt's suggestion to let people view at their leisure and their own pace is a good one. If you do decide to do a show for everyone, keep it short (no more than 10 minutes, if that). People do have short attention spans, especially when THEY are not the center of attention. If you wish, you could project your show during another event, like your first dance. Just put yourself in the positions of your potential guests, see things from their point of view, and decide whether YOU would like to sit through a prolonged slide show of someone else's life.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

KateLouise Posts : 40 Registered: 7/16/10
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: myras

My friend had two large poster-boards: one of pictures of her growing up and her family, and the other of her husband. They were the same sort of pictures that would have gone into a slide show but were set up for guests to browse at their leisure. Similar to Auntofthebride's suggestion really, but without the risk of laptop being stolen/damaged and larger to allow more guests to view it at once. It was a great conversation piece and worked very well.

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

I had a slideshow at mine. :) We made a 20 minute video including both pictures and video that was played on a loop throughout the evening on a big screen tv in the room. There was no sound to the video as it was basically background, so people could watch at their leisure and we noticed that most everyone was watching it at some point or another. :) We also got a lot of favorable comments about how much people liked seeing the photos!

dogbride Posts : 41 Registered: 4/22/10
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Our venue has two big screen tvs in the back of the room. We (actually my sister) put together a 20 min slideshow to play throughout the reception.

When putting together pictures, we decided a different spin on things. We have our childhood pictures, ones of us together BUT what we added different was adding photos of our guests at their weddings, or fam/friend memories. We thought it would be a neat addition to have our grandparents wedding pix, and of us with all of our loved ones.

My sister hasnt let me see it yet, but I am sure that it is awesome, and will represent all of the relationships that have shaped our lives.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

A friend of ours offered to put together a slide show for us for free, and we took him up on it. We played it at our rehearsal dinner, I think after dinner, and before we each made speeches thanking our parents and WP. We were sure to include pics of our wedding party in the slideshow (people like seeing photos of themselves!).

I don't remember exactly how long it was, but I know it was the length of about two songs, so probably about 7-8 min. I am a firm believer than no slide show should EVER be more than 10 minutes long.

We then added a bunch of other pics to that slide show and played it on a loop during our cocktail hour, which allowed anyone who wanted to see it to look at it for as long as they wished, as Aunt suggested above. Again, I did my best to make it inclusive of our wedding guests -- I liked the idea that everyone had an opportunity to see themselves in the pictures. I wanted to put some emphasis on them, as opposed to exclusively on us.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Kate2012 Posts : 30 Registered: 1/25/10
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I will make sure to add pictures of friends and family, that is definitely a good idea. I didn't think of the rehearsal dinner or on a laptop, so those suggestions were definitely helpful. I think that idea would be more economical as well because our venue doesn't have the screens, so we would have to rent that.

Thanks again everyone!

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I completely agree with Aunt on this one! Slideshows can be a nice touch, but at weddings most people like to mingle and socialize. If you do one during the dinner, keep it short (I'd say like 3 minutes tops). One wedding I had to sit through like a 10 minute slide show, and a lot of the pics were from the same photoshoot, but slightley different (like 10 different angles of the same pose). Me being a person who has a very short attention span, I was getting very irritated, LOL.

I really like the computer idea too, or another thing you could do is put a digital picture frame on the gift or placecard table. We were going to do this at ours, but there was so much other stuff going on I really didn't have the time too.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Oct 25, 2010 8:32 PM Go to message in response to: Kate2012

Another nice option that hasn't been mentioned yet is to play the slide show before the ceremony, in the loop fashion. People come early anyway and usually stay sitting forward in their seats, and this can be a great kick-off to your special day. I went to a wedding this summer that did this, as the church already had a slide projector in the front, and it was a great conversation starter throughout the evening.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine