Dress for your age? Stage of life?

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

mallllll Posts : 4 Registered: 9/23/10
Dress for your age? Stage of life?
Posted: Oct 21, 2010 12:50 AM

Since i am now engaged and a working woman, should i dress differently? Should i still keep up with the latest tends? Or should i be dressing for the stages of life i am in? Dress for my age?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Dress for your age? Stage of life?
Posted: Oct 21, 2010 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: mallllll

Dear Mall,

Throughout my life, I have been most comfortable when I am dressed approproately for:

1. My age
2. The weather
3. The occasion
4. The time of day

When I go to work, and we are seeing clients, I'm in a skirted suit with a leather briefcase.

In the office, not seeing clients, I'm in a wool skirt with a matching twin set top.

When I am going out to lunch with friends, I'm in a khaki skirt with a knit top.

If it's cold, I'm in a sweater, jacket or coat.

If it's hot, I'm in a "quality" short-sleeved cotton t-shirt.

At a wedding, I'm in my lavender/liliac dress.

I don't go to clubs (I'm 56), but if I were younger and if I were to go to clubs, I'd wear club clothes to the clubs.

amyweewee1 Posts : 5 Registered: 10/22/10
Posted: Oct 22, 2010 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: mallllll

Are you asking about bridal attire for an older bride, or just dressing in general?

I think a bride should wear whatever she wants at any age, but I would think a more sophisticated look would be in order. A beaded gown, with no train if it is a formal wedding, or a tailored suit if it is casual. Whatever makes you comfortable!

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Oct 27, 2010 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: mallllll

"Since i am now engaged and a working woman, should i dress differently?"

I have no idea what that means--you could be engaged and a working woman if you're 22, or you could be 75! You don't have to cut off your hair or put on a burka because you're engaged. And, depending on the work you do, you may or may not have to dress "differently." Obviously, many workplaces require that you dress more formally than you did in your student days. Some require that you wear a uniform, or wear safety equipment. Then, again, if you work at Hooters, the requirements may be different.

Dress for the occasion and dress for your own body. I've read that women over 40 "shouldn't" wear sleeveless--obviously, Michelle Obama didn't get that message, and she looks fabulous with no sleeves. If your arms are fat and flabby,cover them--even if you're 12! OR, if you don't care, DON'T cover them. You're the one who has to feel good in what you wear.

As for the latest trends, you can be trendy at any age, as long as a look flatters you. Again, if the look is wrong, it's wrong, whether it's classic or trendy. For example, I look lousy in crew necks and better with some skin showing. It doesn't matter to me what the latest trend is--if the whole world is wearing crew neck sweaters, I'm still going to look lousy in them.

My own policy is that if I'm going to spend big money on major pieces, I don't want them to be in and out of fashion in one season. I buy classic and neutral. If I want a "trendy" look, I'll go off to H&M or buy something on sale and throw that into the mix. If I wear it for a season and it's "out," okay, no big loss.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine