The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,599

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: The prego, new mommies, trying, or just curious thread!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

It's confusing!!!!

Be cool NJ - breath.

I was going to tell my boss today but he's not coming in. So I guess I'm not telling him today.

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Congrats MrsF!

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

It's days like the past few that really make the decision not to return much easier. Right now I don't think I am coming back...we'll go a few months without me working, then I'll get a PT job at the mall for a little if I need to. I'd rather ring on a register than deal with all of this nonsense--pressure, deadlines, stress. I used to be so good with compartmentalizing work stuff, being pregnant and home life. I would NOT let anything get to me as far as work. but that must have worn off!

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Ha - I just lost it on someone in my office/work. I ended up hollering at them and shutting my door. I was eating my lunch - just give me five minutes (AND STOP taking my plates and things and NOT replacing them).

Last night I made the mistake of checking my work email and checking on a package I sent right before I tried to go to bed - it got returned (AGAIN) and I was so pissed that I was unable to sleep for 2 hours. So I'm already operating on reduced capabilities.

We can't remotely survive on DH's salary and me not working or only working part time. We'd have to get rid of a car at bare minimum (and probably start eating Ramen) - and that would leave me at home without a car. Not happening.

As it is I'm probably going to have to get a PT teaching position on top of my full time job after the baby's here - If I can't find something else that pays more $ - but that's unlikely where I am at.

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

We are putting a RIDIC amount of money away now. We kinda force ourselves to live minimally (read: poor) NOW so that by the time the baby is here we are used to it. I think we have at least 3 months worth of mortgage, bills...etc saved up now, and we still have 4-5 more months to save. Then we plan on socking away ALL my disability and living just on his paycheck to see if we can do it for the 12 weeks. Who knows if it will work out. It's funny though but when we worked out the numbers, we can't even afford daycare if I work PT...well I should say we wouldn't be better off with me working...

And aside from her room we're remodeling, we really have no upfront costs for the baby...i have SO many hand-me-downs and amazing parents who are already spoiling the shit out of her!

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

We seriously can only save minimally right now. I would have loved to wait another year or two but with my age it just wouldn't have been good.

We JUST put in a new heat pump/AC unit and I had to buy a new car at the same time. We're still paying off his car. I still have CC debt I'm paying down as does he. We do have cable, but it's just the basic channels, but I guess that may go. Our cell phone bill combined is less than $100/month - we could drop our minutes, but then if we go over it's killer $.

It's not ideal. I have NO hand me downs from anyone so here's hoping I can find a decent crib for not a lot of $.

While I know it might be sort of easier to find out the sex of the baby - I don't want to have to fight his mother and return things she buys us.

And I don't want to go crazy with the baby $hit. Crib, car seat and stroller to start.

I mean, my gf keeps sending me these cute bedding sets - but seriously, why am I paying over $150 for all that crap that comes with it. I just don't see it - at all. I don't CARE if the sheets match.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm, I could have written all the stuff you wrote! About my attitude, that is.

You didn't ask, but I have a crib to recommend (highly rated by Baby Bargains BTW): the IKEA Gulliver crib. (Do you have an IKEA near you? Because apparently their shipping charges can make some of their bargains no longer a bargain.)

It's a stationary crib, not a drop-side, it's solid wood, and if you get it in white it's $100, unfinished birch it's about $150.

preview image

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I am thinking of a career change. I've always wanted to be a 1st or 2nd grade teacher. I have amazing abilities with kids. I always thought that would be my career. The good pay of HR and Corp America swayed me away. In my review I told my boss I didn't feel challenged, that I would like more interaction with people, and I would like to change it up a bit. She said and I quote "(laughs) We're not here to save the world, Ginger. We're here to make sure data is correct and forms are filled out properly. I fear you aren't in the right career." I've always known that in the back of my mind. I suppose the older I get the more aparent it becomes.

I flipped a coin today. Heads for pg and tails for not pg. 5/6 flips were heads. I know it's about the most childish thing I could do, but I wasn't busy saving the world so I had time to burn.

wedding ticker

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Thanks Happy - for the rec and the words. Sometimes I feel like I'm the anti-first time Mom and I've gotten some weird looks.

I'll definitely check out the crib - I'm sure I have an ikea near me - HAHAHA It's about 2 hours away. But I also have a friend who travels up there several times a week - I'm sure he'd pick it up for me if we didn't just take a ride up there. Friends are great like that. LOL

What's the difference between a drop side and stationary? I mean, what's the difference to using it (as obviously the side goes down in the one)?

Mush - I'm sending you BABY DUST!!! I am still contemplating getting my nursing degree so I can do clinical work - NOT nursing. LOL

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm, you already understood the difference. The drop-side makes it easier to lift the baby out since you can drop one side down to access. The disadvantage is that there have been more recalls on drop-sides from what I know.

With the stationary, there are still two mattress levels, a higher one for a younger baby (so baby is still pretty easy to lift out unless you're recovering from a C-section, but after recovery it's fine) and a lower level for when baby is able to pull up. Garrett just turned 6 months and is still at the higher level.

Also BTW the Gulliver is the only IKEA crib that's highly rated by BB. The others not so much.

And I agree, you don't actually need a crib bedding set. They're cute, but a) who needs a quilt for a baby? and b) I'm anti-padded bumpers same as BirdLover (for SIDS reasons), so both those things that come as part of bedding sets are a complete waste of $$. All we got for bedding were 2 or 3 sheets for the crib mattress and a couple of mattress pads for the crib.

Edited by: HappyGirl13 on Oct 6, 2010 6:02 PM

preview image

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Well that sort of sounds perfect. And I remember you guys talking about the padded bumpers and SIDS. Do you use another type of bumpers or none at all?

Thanks!

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 10:25 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

See there are LOTS of things I find useless for babies. Because we obviously lived without almost all of the things that are available now. Even our parents lived with out CARSEATS!! But, the bedding set--that is just plain fun. I think it's so much fun redecorating and making it look like a magazine. I am not much of a remodler--my house looks a lot like it did when we bought it 2.5 yrs ago, even. But something abuot decorating it perfectly for her (with all the fixins) is so much fun. I don't think I could get excited about decorating with one sheet. I know she isn't even going to know that we decorated her room with ballet shoes for a LONG time from now. But we are taking so much pride in doing it FOR her.

DH just sent me something about a crib from JC Penneys being recalled today. A drop side one. I already figured those kinds of cribs were not great. I dont think I've even really seen them in the stores lately.

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

And that's great NJ. I just can't see the point for us. I was looking at the bedding - and like Happy said they almost all have the padded bumpers that are counter indicated for SIDS and a diaper storage bag - which I WON'T use. LOL

I figure any of that stuff that I want, I'll buy the fabric and make it myself. I LOVE my new sewing machine.

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 10:50 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Eh, my sister used them. I have actually never heard that before. Actually anyone I know who has had a baby recently used them...

I actually just called my mom! She said when babies are that little where SIDS is a "risk", they can't move around enough to get suffocated by bumpers. And she said when my niece sleeps over her house in a crib with NO bumpers, she wakes up crying b/c she's moving around and her legs get stuck and caught between the bars.

I am all about reading up on recalls and safety with products, but I can't let myself get paranoid by TOO MUCH information.

Posted: Oct 7, 2010 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Yeah, BUT there are breathable bumpers that protect the baby from banging into the crib AND allow better air circulation.

I've actually read the studies performed on this - and they were done well, as opposed to a lot of the frigging mumbo jumbo out there with NO scientific basis.

It's one of the few things that I will be careful with - but I also know several people who lost a kid to SIDS, so I'm probably more scared about it...

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine