Money Dance?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Money Dance?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:03 AM

My fiance is from Louisiana where this is customary. I'm from North Mississippi and had never heard of it until I met him.

A money dance is basically a dance during the reception where people pay to dance a few moments with the bride. It's supposedly done so the couple has some extra cash on their honeymoon.

We're doing it regardless because it's expected down there and we'll be dancing to "If I had a million dollars which I think is kinda cute but I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this?

When I first heard of it I thought it sounded kinda tacky. (Still do but whatever...)

27000_357855012861_529642861_3534868_1049818_n

To love another person is to see the face of God.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Money Dance?
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

Dear Rebecca,

"When I first heard of it I thought it sounded kinda tacky. (Still do but whatever...)"

Then, don't do it. It's your wedding.

PS: I think it's VERY tacky.

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt,

When I posted this question I knew what your response would be. :) I think it's like in some areas cash bars aren't tacky but in some places they are.

I swear that everyone from Louisiana has asked us about the money dance. EVERYONE does it. So really only myself and probably a few members of my family would think it's tacky.

Plus, FH has only asked for a few things the money dance being one of them. I cringe at the thought but I'm letting him have this.

27000_357855012861_529642861_3534868_1049818_n

To love another person is to see the face of God.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio

dogbride Posts : 41 Registered: 4/22/10
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I would say that the Dollar Dance is fairly common.

My brother was married a month ago, and they had a dollar dance. Both him and his bride danced with family and friends, and the best man and maid of honor facilitated it. The DJ played easy to dance to songs that appealed more to the older crowd, and they had a great response! I think they had three songs because there were so many people in line. My favorite was when the father of the bride paid to dance with my brother...classic!

I understand that it seems to be tacky, and maybe others will disagree with me, but anytime I have seen it at a wedding, people respond well to it. You may find the aunt or cousin who never dances out on the floor.

If you are set on it, I would rethink the song. I would think it would be difficult to dance to, and not as familiar to the older crowd.

Good Luck!

MizJodi Posts : 65 Registered: 3/8/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: dogbride

I've also grown into the mindset it's rather tacky. I'm from the Midwest though, where pretty much any wedding with a dance has the dollar dance. So there, it's weird NOT to do one, it seems.

I think I've only been to one wedding dance in the midwest that didn't have one :)

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

It's pretty common out in Montana, especially if the couple is young and really needs some extra help. It's usually done after cutting the cake and most of the general dancing, but before tossing the garter and the bouquet. The best man and maid of honor form lines for the bride and groom (so you both don't have to actually hold the cash while you're dancing with everyone) and they also decide when to send the next dancer out so you don't have to cut anyone out. Otherwise Great Aunt Sarah could take up the entire dollar dance and others would have to stand in line for a really long time.

"If I Had A Million Dollars" is a great song. You could also choose to make a bunch of small clips of your favorite songs that didn't make it on your list, such as those 90's songs you always sing to in the car.

Is it tacky? Yes, but dollar dances aren't really designed to be top-notch. And AOTB isn't going to like you telling her what to do with her money :) It's a custom for everyone to get some extra face time with the bride and groom and help them out with a buck or two.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

Dear Rebecca,

If you take the "money" out of the Money Dance, then it's OK. Essentially, it is a way for every guest to get a short dance with the bride or the groom.

That is not a bad thing. The part many people (ie me) find distasteful is the idea of selling dances for cash. When I see a money dance at a wedding, I have to try real hard to banish the mental image of a stripper getting tips stuck in her G-string.

Alternatives would be to distribute play money, one to a customer, and then use the play money during the money dance. That way you have the means to the end: A brief dance with each guest so inclined.

Another idea is to distribute cards that ask for Wedding Wishes or Marital Advice. People jot down something short, then hand that to you as their dance "ticket".

KateLouise Posts : 40 Registered: 7/16/10
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Auntofthebride's ideas for an alternative to cash are great. I get that dancing with the bride and groom is fun and a great way to include everyone. But honestly, having money pinned to me would make me feel a bit like a charity case (please don't be offended). Take the money out of the equation and you'll have the fun tradition without feeling the least bit tacky. I bet your guests will appreciate it.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 8:06 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I'm of the "Money Dance is Tacky" school of thought. It may be common where your FH comes from, but if you've never seen it and it makes you uncomfortable, then guests on your side of the aisle may very well feel the same way.

I've only seen it done once at a wedding I attended, and that one was a sweet variation. The Bride and Groom paid their guests (with small, inexpensive favors) to dance with them. So, tradition was upheld and the tacky, money-grubbing aura was gone.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 7:33 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

We are doing a dollar dance. Some people may find it tacky but hey I am honest when I say that I need all the money I can get lol. Just do what YOU want to do. I think the money dance is all in good fun. It's only for ONE song for about 3 minutes long. Whoever doesn't want to participate doesn't have to, no one is forcing them to throw their money at the bride.

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

Holdens_Bride Posts : 15 Registered: 11/2/10
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 7:36 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

oh, everything is considered tacky by someone. I think you do what you want!!

We are using a registry not everyone agrees with (uponourstar.com) but it works for us and our life, so who cares.

and ANY cash from the dance will probably take a little stress of the honeymoon- which who would be upset about that? If my giving someone 10-20 helps them enjoy a cocktail or two more, I am happy to do it!

josie1986 Posts : 18 Registered: 1/3/11
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

Ok, I am going to need to dis agree with a few people here. I do not think the money dance is tacky at all. I've been too many weddings and I have seen many money dances and they are usually playful and tasteful. It's usually a time the bride has for everyone to get a little one on one time and they tell her how beautiful she looks and imparts personal words of wisdom. I am going to have a money dance at my wedding, and I think you will have fun at yours too.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine