Walking down the aisle together

Online Users: 1,351 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

KateLouise Posts : 40 Registered: 7/16/10
Walking down the aisle together
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 10:21 AM

My fiance and I are considering walking down the aisle together at our wedding. I get on very well with my father (and mother), but they are very uncomfortable with being in the spotlight (plus they are from a European culture where "giving away" the bride is not traditional), and have hinted they would rather just be seated as guests to enjoy the ceremony from the start. I thought about walking alone, but it seems kind of lonely and I imagine I'd be too nervous.

We haven't made a final decision yet, so I'd be interested to hear opinions on this. Please be honest if you think it's weird, I'd rather know now!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Walking down the aisle together
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: KateLouise

Personally I like the idea. You are both walking in together to this new phase of your lives.

Makes total sense to me! (And I went the 'traditional' route of being given 'away' but my Dad would have been HORRIBLY disappointed if I hadn't - so I was OK with it!)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: KateLouise

Dear Kate,

"My fiance and I are considering walking down the aisle together at our wedding"

Sounds great to me. Go for it.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: KateLouise

Like everyone else said, do what is best for you! Not everyone is the same. I want to spend the night before my wedding in my own bed with my fh. But everyone tells me to not do that. But its where i feel more comfortable. So we'll see. I will probably just end up in my own bed lol.

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

usfbeachbum Posts : 27 Registered: 6/6/10
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: KateLouise

Walking down the aisle together is exactly the tradition for greek orthodox weddings. The bride and groom are accompanied to the church by their parents. The groom waits at the door of the chapel, with her bouquet in hand. They meet, kiss, he gives her the bouquet and they walk down the aisle together with everyone else behind them.

It's perfectly fine for you to walk down the aisle together. Maybe you can even take some ideas from he greek tradition.

KateLouise Posts : 40 Registered: 7/16/10
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: usfbeachbum

Thanks everyone! I feel much better about it now. Yes, I think it does seem to be a cultural thing. Interesting about the Greek tradition, I love the idea of being waited for with a bouquet! (though I think the other half might feel awkward standing around holding pretty flowers, knowing him).

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: KateLouise

NotFroofy and I walked in together, and it worked out just fine.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: KateLouise

I saw this happen at a wedding a month ago-

It was a Catholic wedding, and the bride and groom are very Catholic (her brother was the priest). If you marry in the Catholic church with a full mass, the bride and groom are supposed to walk in together, in front of the priest- he's the last one to enter.

I haven't seen that at a Catholic wedding before, but talking to the bride after, she said that's how its supposed to go, but the North American tradition is giving the bride away, so they allow that, but the proper was is to come in together

My point is just that different cultures/groups have different traditions- if you and your groom want to walk in together, then do it!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine