Bridesmaid dresses

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

marmighty Posts : 1 Registered: 9/9/10
Bridesmaid dresses
Posted: Sep 9, 2010 12:02 PM

I am currently having issues with what bridesmaids dress i should choose. I have 4 ladies that are not on the skinny side. I am getting married next year in September so i would like tea length dresses.

Well, my future sister-in-law has mentioned several times that she doesn't like short dresses. She is in great shape, so i just don't get it! i am not just going to accommodate her tho. She knows what i like. I don't understand why she must say over and over that she prefers long dresses.

Does anyone have suggestions on dress style that look good on any body type? I have a few that i have seen and liked.

OrangeBride2011 Posts : 4 Registered: 8/10/09
Re: Bridesmaid dresses
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: marmighty

I think an empire waist dress that is more A-line or flow-ey on the bottom would look great on any body type. Good luck!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: marmighty

I'm larger and I find that A-lines are most flattering. A lot of ladies swear by halter tops - but you always see my chest coming first in those. LOL So they aren't my favorite.

BlueSix Posts : 9 Registered: 9/18/10
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: marmighty

Unfortunately I don't think there is one dress style that all body types look good in. I think this is why the coordinating but mis-matching bridesmaids is become more and more popular. I'm sure that you and your BM are close enough that if you were to pick a shorter dress, while it might not be her favorite, it wouldn't be a huge issue between the two of you. If she seems very concerned, then perhaps you could try talking to her. Tell her that you were thinking of getting short dresses, but you wanted to know why she preferred long dresses. Maybe she has a reason you aren't aware of. Otherwise, maybe she could wear a dress that goes below the knee but not all the way to the floor.

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: BlueSix

Tea length IS below the knee.

But Bluesix is right, there is not one dress that will look great on everyone. But you'll bend over backwards trying to accommodate everyone if you start going down that road.

If you chose to stick to one dress, then be firm that's it and if they don't want to wear it they don't need to be in the wedding.

BlueSix Posts : 9 Registered: 9/18/10
Posted: Sep 21, 2010 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

heh... darn rhyming words... thinking "knee" types "tea"...

Posted: Sep 21, 2010 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: BlueSix

LOL All good - I was like - Um she's not talking about mini-skirts (not that there's anything wrong with miniskirts - but I know I'D feel uncomfy wearing one!! LOL).

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Posted: Sep 26, 2010 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: marmighty

Tea length is a tough length for anyone who is under 5'6",,,,it cuts the person off in a weird place and tends to make anyone look short and stumpy. My bridesmaids dresses were originally tea length, but we had them shortened to a little above the knee (also because my girls weren't wearing shoes..we were on the beach) and the length looked horrible. I had 7 bridesmaids in the following sizes.... 4,4,6,8,10,12,14(and 9 months pregnant), with chest sizes ranging from 32A to 38DD. They wore deep purple, jersey knit, empire waist, mock-halter style dresses, and it looked stunning on every one of them! We referreed to it as the "sisterhood of the traveling pants dress" because it was truly amazing how well it fit each body type! I would suggest A line, empire, flowy, and either floor length or knee length or above....unless all of your bridesmaids are of supermodel stature!!

vanessaluvbug Posts : 1 Registered: 10/11/10
Posted: Oct 11, 2010 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: marmighty

I swear I think my cousin picked the most unflattering dress she could find. They beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it only looks good on one bridesmaid. The rest of us will look like clowns.

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: vanessaluvbug

van - it happens, but it's her wedding and all her lovely wedding pics. My one gf swore about how horrible this dress was and to this day the bride swears it was beautiful (it was pretty bad).

cassielynne279748 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/5/10
Posted: Dec 1, 2010 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: marmighty

I have 5 bridesmaids and all of them have completely different body shapes. That is whay I have chosen to do mismatached dresses all in one coordinating color that matches our wedding color scheme. I let each bridesmaid chose the style they liked (a few our doing spaghetti, one is strapless, one is bow neck etc.) and they are all the same length. I think this is easiest because each BM can pick what she is comfortable in and they will still all match the wedding scheme. Try looking into one designer, that way you have a better chance of the color matching. For me, all my BM's are going through David's Bridal which also makes it simpler because two of my BM's are out of state.

Like the others said, there unfortunately is not one type of dress that will "fit" everyone, however, as the bride, ultimately it is your final decision. If your future SIL doesn't like short, then I think tea length is a good compromise because it is below the knee but not to the ankle, it is in between. Just explain to her that everyone else is wearing the same length and having one BM in a long dress would look out of place. And look into doing different styles of dresses in your color of choice, giving your BM's more options.

AyeshaandAndre Posts : 10 Registered: 11/3/09
Posted: Dec 1, 2010 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: cassielynne279748

It's always a tough decision. Having been a BM twice and now the bride, I wanted everyone to happy with the dress that they were paying their money to wear in my wedding. As I was looking at dresses, I sent links to let everyone have a say. Eventually I came to the realization that a group of 4 women all different sizes would never really agree on a dress, although all were willing to wear whatever I picked out because it was my day. So I finally told all of them to find an elegant cocktail dress in crimson red (one of the wedding colors)and go with it. My 2 cents is that if you want everyone happy, let them pick their own style and ask for veto power. If you want them all to look the same, you will have to tell your sister-in-law that it's your day not hers and the only person in the wedding party who gets a choice in what she wears is you.

pengchloe Posts : 8 Registered: 7/22/10
Posted: Jan 11, 2011 5:59 AM Go to message in response to: marmighty
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine