Bridesmaids dresses when they live far apart...advice needed

Online Users: 1,318 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

GreatLakesBride Posts : 6 Registered: 9/14/10
Bridesmaids dresses when they live far apart...advice needed
Posted: Sep 14, 2010 11:11 PM

Hello everyone,

New here on the forum and I wanted some advice. My bridesmaids are all from different areas of the country. I'm trying to be flexible and letting them choose their own style of dress as long as its a dark green color (wedding colors are green and silver). I looked around and sent them a few links to national chains that have dresses of different styles in the same color. However, none of them are getting back to me. I understand that they're busy so I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this. If your bridesmaids lived in different places, how did you handle finding dresses? Also, how long before the wedding should the bridesmaid's dresses be ordered? I want to give plenty of time in case people need alterations done, but I may be jumping the gun LOL. My wedding is in June.

thanks =)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Bridesmaids dresses when they live far apart...advice needed
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: GreatLakesBride

I only had three BMs but they were all in different states.

I decided to go with David's Bridal because they all had one close. That way I gave them a color from there and they had 12+ choices. This helped with fabric and I also gave them guidelines on length.

You do have to consider that they are all also busy with their own lives (which it seems like you have taken into consideration). Some dresses can take longer to get then others from the manufacturer, so without requiring a specific designer, you don't know what the individual requirements may be.

I'd look into it and try to make a guesstimate - most places suggest ordering anywhere from 8-16 weeks before the wedding.

Maybe make a 4 month deadline to try and make sure that they have time for alterations.

EDIT: Truthfully, with your wedding in June, this is early. I won't lie. (I missed the date before.) I think sending out the info is good, but I wouldn't start pressuring for another couple of months, in my personal opinion.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Sep 15, 2010 10:11 AM

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: GreatLakesBride

Dear GLB,

Call a few bridal shops and ask for approximate, typical timelines for ordering, fitting and delivery. Then, work backwards from your W-Day.

Figure deadlines for your bridesmaids, then communicate those dates to them.

If someone misses the deadline, then inquire as to the reason, then make a decision as to whether or not you see that particular person still in the wedding.

I think you are wise in letting them choose their own dresses, within a general color scheme. Even if they ordered the "same" dress from a national chain, you might find differences in the dress color due to differing dye lots.

(I saw this a lot when my sons were in Scouts. The Scout uniforms varied, slightly, in color from year to year.)

Mrs_Orto Posts : 14 Registered: 7/19/10
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: GreatLakesBride

I also have BMs in different states and selected my BM dress from David's Bridal. I looked online and found a dress I thought would work with everyone. They've all tried the dress on at the closest DB and sent me pictures and they look really nice. I think selecting the dress I wanted them all to wear made things easier because all they had to do was try it on to find the right size and order it. They didn't have to worry about making sure it was the right color (if they're looking in multiple dress shops) and figuring out what dress they like and hoping I like it. Picking one dress just made it easier on everyone.
Time wise, you have plenty left. One of my girls just ordered her dress yesterday and was told it would be in around the end of October. And my dress alterations are supposed to take about 4 weeks so I'm assuming their's will too. So, I'd say give it about 12 weeks for ordering and alterations.

Mrs. Orto
wedding websites

FutureMrsM Posts : 8 Registered: 7/27/10
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: Mrs_Orto

I agree with the other posts. I posted a thread previously about a bridesmaid in another state and got the same responses as you. Davids bridal is a very popular place, and I can guarentee all of your girls should be able to locate one. You can contact the davids bridal close to your BMs with the exact color/style that you have in mind for your BMs. Thats the easiest and most resonible solution that I have come across. Good Luckk

sassy411 Posts : 52 Registered: 8/16/10
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: GreatLakesBride

Yup. That's an easy one. David's. The color/style you choose will be the same in any David's store or they can order online.

Posted: Sep 15, 2010 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

thanks for all of the help! David's bridal definitely sounds like the way to go to make things easy on everyone's part

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: GreatLakesBride

You can either chose a dress or just tell them to chose a dress in a specific color - all three of my BMs were in different dresses that suited each of their bodies in the color for the wedding.

But it's easy to go either way - give them a color and length requirement or actually chose the dress with color requirement.

usfbeachbum Posts : 27 Registered: 6/6/10
Posted: Sep 16, 2010 3:12 AM Go to message in response to: GreatLakesBride

I looked at David's as well but their colors were off from what I wanted. I went with Alfred Angelo. They had a better selection of blues, closer to the color I wanted. Even though the dresses are a little more expensive the BM's agreed they preferred Alfred Angelo's options. Like, DB they are all over the US.

Posted: Sep 16, 2010 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: usfbeachbum

ok, I'll check them out as well. always nice to have options. thanks!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine