Nervous about Mexico?

Online Users: 1,357 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

kellyheartsjeff Posts : 66 Registered: 2/25/09
Nervous about Mexico?
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 3:56 PM

Is anyone else planning a Mexican honeymoon/destination wedding/vacation and starting to feel a little nervous due to the recent violence in Cancun? I knew when we booked the honeymoon that there have been a lot of problems with the drugs lords/wars/etc - but when we booked it, it seemed like most of the violence was occurring in border towns and not in the typical tourist destinations. I have talked to a lot of people about it and they seem to think it will be fine and that we'll be safe on our resort, but does this mean we should be nervous doing any of the excursions available? We really wanted to go zip-lining but now I feel like we'll be too nervous to leave the resort at all!!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Nervous about Mexico?
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: kellyheartsjeff

Dear Kelly,

I'm going to offer you the exact same advice I offer others who are planning trips to faraway places.

Get to where you are going, then ask the hotel concierge about the relative safety of various destinations. If they don't have a concierge, ask some knowledgable person at the front desk.

These are the folks who will have the up-to-date, current info on what is safe for tourists and what is not safe. The hotel has no incentive to send their hotel guests into unsafe environments, so they will make it their business to steer you in the right direction.

I do this, myself, when traveling into potentially hazardous situations. I ask someone who lives there.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Nervous about Mexico?
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: kellyheartsjeff

We're going to Mexico on our honeymoon too next month. We're going to Playa De Carmen. It bothers me when friends and family ask us where we are going for our honeymoon and when we say Mexico they look all concern and say, "be careful over there, I hear it's bad" It makes me mad in a way because anything bad can happen anywhere, it doesn't only have to be in Mexico. Also, Playa De Carmen is near the Cancun area and so that is far away from where the "real" violence and problems are at. Another thing, we are staying at an all inclusive resort so we don't have to leave the hotel if we don't want to. We will be in an area that is filled with other tourist. Just try to relax and have a good time. Always be aware of your surroundings just as if you are in any other city/state. The only thing I'm worried about is of any hurricanes lol :-p

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine