Guy need to know wtf do

Online Users: 1,243 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

jrw78 Posts : 3 Registered: 8/21/10
Guy need to know wtf do
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 7:37 PM

Okay really what is the deal with Tiffanys? am I just paying for the name brand here or something? I try lure some info from my gf to see if it matters or not but I have no freaking idea ..

At tiffanys a 1.5 ct price , i can get a 2 ct at zales + more,

Then Ive been considering Debeers but I heard much review from that company, then I was thinking about going to a independent private jeweler in the Northern VA area or DC....... Im still thinking.

My Biggest concerns is getting ripped off.. can anyone give me any advise?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Guy need to know wtf do
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: jrw78

Dear JRW,

Are you going for the Big Surprise Proposal where you pull out the "perfect" ring from your pocket? The "perfect" ring where you had to hire some mind-reader or ESP expert to discern your girlfriend's taste in jewelry?

That's great... but as you fear the lady might be privately thinking "Oh, gee, I wish it was something different."

So, since you are using "WTF" type language, let me suggest an alternative plan.

Ask your girlfriend to marry you, then pull out some magazine ads or internet page screen shots for rings you think she might like out of your pocket. Talk about her preferences, talk about your budget, then go shopping together and get something you both like and can afford.

Lots of people have long and happy marriages after ring shopping together. (Me, for example.) It was still a thrill to put it on my finger the first time!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I agree with AOTB!

I was lucky because my guy totally surprised me with a perfect ring - but I am in the MINORITY!!

And yes, when considering Tiffany's - you're paying for the blue box and ribbon.

Propose and then ring shop together - you'll be engaged and then she'll get the ring she loves and you're both happy!

jrw78 Posts : 3 Registered: 8/21/10
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Ok,

I'm already aware of my budget thing, and my gf wont be too keen about doing this together, especially when she's so hardcore into the romantic setting. but anyways I m gonna have to learn this the hard way,

MrsSy Posts : 504 Registered: 7/6/08
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 10:13 PM Go to message in response to: jrw78

JRW, ask to her friends or her mom. They might know what kind of ring she likes.

Pharm and AOTB, I was lucky DH got the perfect ring.

Proud Member of the P.O.O.P.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: jrw78

Well if you know she won't want to go together - then I'd look for an independent jeweler.

We ended up at a place that even did their own rings - loved it.

You have a lot of choices in the NoVA region.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 8:15 AM Go to message in response to: jrw78

Talk to her friends and get an idea of what she'd like, then go to an independant store and ask them to prepare a selection within a certain price range (even put a major downpayment on it) AND ask them to remove the price tags. Then take her to a romantic dinner, propose, and go into the store. Have them take out your tray--and she picks the one she loves from it. (You either get a small refund or pay a little more down)

Misty

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Take her ring browsing. My bf and I have looked at rings twice. First time because he really wanted to know what I wanted, second time because he likes to tease me. Now he knows exactly what I want, but I still have no idea when he will eventually propose.

If you don't want to go look at them, you could always ask her what she likes. Most girls will know what they want. And while she will know you are thinking about proposing, it can still be a surprise as to when you actually do.

Or as other posters have suggested, ask her friends or her mom. My mom doesn't know what I like, but my friends certainly do.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*Met: 9/17/2009 *Started Dating: 11/14/2009 *Engaged: 11/13/2010 *Mr and Mrs: 9/17/2011
Daisypath Wedding tickers

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 1:07 PM Go to message in response to: jrw78

Yes, Tiffany's is a rip-off.

But, Zales has been known to have some pretty crappy diamonds.

Tiffany's upsells because of the little blue box. I think they are mostly marketing as opposed to actual quality diamonds.

Personally, I'd go for an independent jeweler because I think they offer better service. And frankly, I'd pay attention to how they treat you. If you feel like you're being urged to pay for a ring you can't afford in order to show her you really love her, then I'd walk right out. On the other hand, if they talk to you like you are a real thinking individual, go for it.

Since you asked about the area in which I live in, I'll recommend Quest Jewelers. It's where my husband bought my ring, and he's a pretty no nonsense type who knows diamonds pretty well (far better than me). They are located in Northern Virginia. Several of our friends also proposed with rings from there, and they all feel good about their purchase, and that they weren't taken advantage of. (In fact, our ring was appraised at a higher cost than what he spent.)

Anyways, I think it's pretty easy to feel like you're vulnerable to being ripped off when it comes to buying an engagement ring, so I understand why you're asking. I think you should give yourself some time for this -- it's a big purchase, and I'd always recommend that someone spent time educating themselves before spending this kind of money. Good luck.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: jrw78

You actually have more than one question here. The first is about buying from a big-name retailer. The second is about the so-called romantic proposal.

First, yes, you are paying big-time for the name with a retailer like Tiffany or Zale's. Their markup on diamond rings is at least double what you would pay from a wholesaler or a trust-worthy independent jeweler. Educate yourself about diamonds--know the 4 C's (color, carat weight, cut, clarity). Then you'll be able to compare apples with apples (or oranges) and know what it means when your getting a 1 carat, H color, SI2, versus a one carat, D color, VVS1. If you get a certified diamond, make sure that the certification comes from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), because that's the only certificate that counts.

As far as picking a style and creating the "perfect" proposal, that's really between you and your FW. Personally, I prefer to shop for jewelry with my husband. Then, we both know that I get what I really love--and I find the process of shopping together very romantic. Other women want the big surprise, roses, champagne, the whole ta-dah. I would suggest that if she wants to be surprised, you at least discuss her preferences, maybe go browsing and trying on rings together (get her size), look at pictures, and really listen to what she has to say.Then, your "surprise" will be successful.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: jrw78

Hey

I know it's two weeks later but I hope you get this in time to make a difference.

I believe the best way for you to get the best ring for your fiance would be by educating yourself. A really awesome site is www.pricescope.com They have cool tutorials that teach one about basics such as the 4 c's and also more indepth stuff like pavilion angles and ideal depth. They also have a really great forum where regular people hang out and ask and give advice on diamond purchases.

I would highly advise anyone to visit that site and educate themselves before parting with their money.

And no, I don't get paid to advertise for them. :)

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Sep 5, 2010 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Once again, you two have great advice. A brand, like many other things build on a history of quality diamonds and jewellery(customer service etc). As the other 2 ladies posted, get engaged and then go ring shopping that way you know you will get exactly what works best for the both of you.

yaktrekker Posts : 9 Registered: 8/28/08
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

I'm not sure if anyone already suggested this or if it's too late, but have you considered buying the perfect diamond, getting it put in a really plain/inexpensive setting, and then taking her to go pick a setting she likes after the big proposal? I knew a girl who's husband had proposed with his grandmother's ring and then they took the stone from that ring and had it set in a more modern band after she said yes. Everybody was happy with that.

Like others, I would suggest a local or wholesale company for the diamond itself.

I'm sure your lady has settings picked out in her head, so this is the perfect compromise. She gets the romantic proposal with "the ring" but she also then gets to pick her ideal setting/band/whatever.

Good luck!

Callalily1326 Posts : 6 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Sep 18, 2010 2:22 AM Go to message in response to: jrw78

Yes when buying something from Tiffany's you are paying like 10x more just for the name brand and the robin's egg blue box. If you want to get her something from Tiffany's buy her something smaller from there for your first anniversary or something and buy a ring she will love at another store. My fiance bought my ring at a local store near our home town for about 1/2 what he would have gotten it somewhere else and I love it. It means shit to me if it is a Tiffany's, but if it really means that much to your girl then she will have to greatly compromise on the size of the stone, so which is more important to her?

June 8, 2013... I love you, my potato/papita

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine