Mad and Venting

Online Users: 1,348 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Mad and Venting
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 3:41 PM

Sure I can vent on a photographer's forum but that doesn't get the word out. What's wrong you might ask. Once again I've been Stood Up. Beyond that it is the rudeness and game playing that's associated with all of it.

This appointment was made about a week ago on a referral from her cousin, who's wedding I shot a while back. Now I can forgive somebody who calls and says "Oops, I forgot. Please forgive me" I can understand somebody who has booked another photographer. What really bugs me is not calling. What bugs me is that I spent time getting ready. Now I might not be so mad if this was less than the norm.

Brides would be furious with me and ranting about my unprofessionalism if I failed to show up for a meeting without calling. Yet there are those who think it is perfectly ok for them to engage in that behavior.

The last straw was calling the bride 10 minutes after the meeting was to start to see if she was lost. A couple of minutes later, I received a phonecall from a blocked number saying "Wrong number." Unfortunately, the voice sounded extremely similar to the voice on the voice mail of the bride's phone. Coincidence, I think not.

If I were a large studio and a sales person, I wouldn't care. I'm paid to work. But I'm not. I work at home and cleared my schedule to meet. This also means I had to find a diversion for my 4 year-old since this bride wanted to meet in the early afternoon.

Like I said, this is far from a rare occurrence. I just don't understand it. Too bad I can't charge for missed meetings like Drs' do. As I wrong to think I at least deserve a phone call to cancel? Am I wrong to think that when I call I shouldn't have to deal with games? Am I wrong to think I should be treated with the same courtesy I give others?

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Mad and Venting
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Dear Howard,

I hear you.

That used to happen all the time when I was in sales and marketing. I spent an entire day stuck in Panama City, Florida, waiting for a customer.

He was supposed to be there at 8. Finally showed at 3. No apologies, no explanation. He was just a jerk.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Sorry, Howard. You aren't wrong. People are, unfortunately OFTEN rude and, as a vendor, I'm sure you see a lot of it. For me, it's family members who call taking up time on inane things, or just generally griping, thus eating up time I can't bill, for no reason, then complaining if I don't talk with them every day. Further, many of them I can't tell anything to anyway, or they want me to do something for a friend, or someone else, for free of course. I know it's different, but no matter how you interact with the public, you're gonna run into extreme rudeness more often than not IMO.

I've since changed my phone policy. I wish I could bill, but...can't be done.

I would be more irritated, if it involved reworking scheduling on the mornings I have my little peanut while her mommy is in class. WAY more irritated, and can totally see why you are.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Of course you're not wrong, I got pissed reading your post!

People need to understand that this is your livelihood and time is money! Now if you were to pull a stunt like that, she would have spread it all over town. Sad, but true. I wish you could charge a no-show fee, show them you mean business!!!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Howard - It is rude and un-excusable.

My friend who sells Mary Kay on the side complains about this too - like when she has packed EVERYTHING up, shows up at the house and no one is home.

I don't get it. Manners just aren't important to some people I guess.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

My husband is a doctor and, unfortunately, he can't always charge for no-shows. Usually, with established patients, it's something like last-minute changes, and they rebook (still, time wasted that could be spent with others). But, the worst are new patients, the ones he's never seen, who are booked for an hour and a half. When they no-show (after having been confirmed the day before), it really takes a bite out of his time (and wallet!) The truth is, many people are just rude.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2010 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

I'm sorry that you and other professionals have had to go through this. Some people are just rude!! There were times where I could have done the same thing and not showed up for a meeting or just ignored phone calls. But I always try to put myself in other people's shoes and I wouldnt want the same thing happening to me. Just the other day I didn't feel like driving an hour to meet with my videographer. I was nice enough to call him AND email him to tell him that I would rather just have a meeting over the phone rather than in person. I wish people would be more considerate of others.

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine