rehearsal dinner.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

jessc2010 Posts : 19 Registered: 2/7/10
rehearsal dinner.
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 12:50 PM

my FH and I are paying for our wedding ourselves and are on a budget, and alot of our wedding party will have to work. Is it ok not to have a formal rehearsal dinner?

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: rehearsal dinner.
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

Of course! You could have a pizza party, a backyard bbq type dinner, you could have something informal at your place...absolutely don't need a fancy, expensive rehearsal dinner.

We had a rented room at a mexican restaurant close to the hotel, and it was only about $400 for all the people, and we had probably 20-25 there.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

I'm totally with Cyndi on this! I guess some would have considered our rehearsal dinner more formal, but we were just in the back room at a local diner - $16/person, included salad, choice of 4 meals and dessert. I thought that was good.

But if money had been even tighter I would have totally done pizzas and fun at someone's house (we were married out of town, so that would have been sort of more difficult, so this worked).

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

My best friend is getting married Sept. 25 and her rehearsal dinner is going to be pizza and beer at a local restaurant. I'm more excited about that than I was my cousin's more formal sit down dinner a few weeks ago.

Personally I'd rather it be a more relaxing atmosphere. I'm doing pizza when it's my turn to get married.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*Met: 9/17/2009 *Started Dating: 11/14/2009 *Engaged: 11/13/2010 *Mr and Mrs: 9/17/2011
Daisypath Wedding tickers

TheShrinkingBride Posts : 16 Registered: 8/26/10
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

Everyone's given good advice and I hope you feel more comfortable with your choice.

I would just add, there is NEVER any shame in providing for people within your means. You aren't required to stretch yourself thin or go beyond your budget to entertain people.

Whatever your budget, there will be a way to make it something that you find pleasing. Whether you serve pizzas or create an economic meal from items that can be purchased on sale, it is reasonable and right that you should do only what you can afford.

The important thing is that everyone feel welcome and that you have a great time. Don't stress for a moment over not providing more than you can comfortably afford. One would assume that the people in your wedding already know and love you and wouldn't want you to put yourself in a bad position to feed/entertain them anyway.

-TSB

----- blog: The Shrinking Bride

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: jessc2010

Ours isn't formal at all. We are having ours in FH's parent's backyard and it's being catered by a cajun specialty restaurant. We are also encouraging everyone to bring their swimsuits as there is a pool there as well.

If you can't afford to bring in food from an actual restaurant then pizza is an awesome idea. You might even want to include an ice cream bar! You can buy buckets of ice cream plus toppings and it won't be that expensive.

27000_357855012861_529642861_3534868_1049818_n

To love another person is to see the face of God.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine