Theme: Old Palm Springs

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

sassy411 Posts : 52 Registered: 8/16/10
Theme: Old Palm Springs
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 9:27 AM

FH & I both love mid century modern architecture & we are working on an old Palm Springs flavor to the wedding. It will be a very small affair, one step removed from just going to Vegas, but I'm starting to have fun with it.

The venue is perfect. Our colors are white, ivory & metallic pewter. By Old Palm Springs, I mean PS during its heyday, the 1950s & 60s when all the movie stars played there & the mid century homes were all the rage.

I found some nice crystal martini classes with palm trees on them, I plan to use those as centerpieces, maybe just one flower, an orchid perhaps in each. Or maybe a spray, I just don't know. We'll have a larger vase at our table.

The ceremony & reception are in a rather small, but fabulous room, with a series of windows looking out to the main PS area.

Now I really could use some suggestions as to flowers, especially what to put at the alter. Two flower stands of what?

Any thoughts/ideas about our theme? Thanks!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Theme: Old Palm Springs
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: sassy411

Dear Sassy,

Why flowers, necessarily, at the altar? Why not use an arrangement of palm branches?

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt,

I haven't thought it thru very far yet. We need something at the end of the aisle, FH was thinking flower stands. I have no visual artistic ability.

We aren't going to have an arch or anything & this will bein the evening.

What are you envisioning with the palms?

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: sassy411

Dear Sassy,

"What are you envisioning with the palms?"

I go to a church that celebrates Palm Sunday. On that day, the church is decorated with palm branches. There are palm branches arching over the center aisle, palm branches arranged in the vases where flowers usually go and palm branches behind the altar. It's really beautiful.

Here is what I suggest, if you still don't have a mental picture. Call the local Catholic or Episcopal church in town, and ask who provides their palm branches for Palm Sunday.

Then, call that provider and make an appt to talk to them about your wedding. Ask if they have photos of their arrangements. See what they can do, and for what price, then go from there.

Palm Springs has plenty of palm trees (hence its name). I think that palm branches instead of imported flowers might look really stunning at your wedding.

Alternatively, you could use desert cactus arrangements to continue your Palm Springs theme, but that's problematic due to the thorny spines on the cactus.

Do you have your venue yet? If not, have you thought about the Aerial Tramway?

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 11:05 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Yes, we have our venue & it's exactly what we wanted.

I think we need some color pops here & there. Not sure about the palm fronds.

The old PS look is very sleek.

Here is Palm Springs Life mag:

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Springs-Life/

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: sassy411

Dear Sassy,

I'm pretty familiar with Palm Springs. Been there a lot.

Since you admit you are not all that artistic minded, I'd just suggest you visit a good florist and ask for suggestions.

It's just that "colorful flowers" and "lower desert" don't exactly go together in my mind. That's why I am suggesting palm branches.

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Yes, we plan to use a florist. But there is lots of color in Palm Springs!

We need some pops of color to break up the monotony of our main colors.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: sassy411

I have a huge photo library and I'm sure that I can come up with something for your ceremony. Just contact me through my website and I'll send something right out to you. I live in So. Cal. and have visited PS a lot and am familiar with mid-century modern architecture. The typical two flower stands on either side of the aisle definitely is NOT the look you want, but it could be modified.

A neighbor of mine (interior designer) has just the look you're going for. She has two huge pots (about 5' tall) on either side of her front door. They're bright orange ceramic (everything else is neutral) and planted with tall grasses and succulents. Pots like these can be rented. If you want to use your colors, use white or aluminum containers. Use plants and/or flowers in colors of your choice. Do something really mid-century and go with sculptural palms, grasses, or cactus.

Or rent a couple of trees, wrap the boxes with fabric, even hang stuff from them--e.g. streams of ribbon, mixed faux fruit, balls made from bright flowers. Get creative and have fun with it.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 9:36 AM Go to message in response to: myras

I think I said this wrong. "Old Palm Springs" would be the 30's & 40's when the Hollywood crowd partied there. We're thinkin more of the 1960's, the hayday of mid century modern architecture.

basodie Posts : 6 Registered: 8/18/10
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: sassy411

I LOVE your theme!

I think bird of paradise (Strelitzia), bottlebrush, bougainvillea, or this lovely plant that I've seen around Palm Springs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesalpinia_pulcherrima) would work awesomely. Just as colorful as orchids but more desert-y. You could also try protea, though those might be harder to work into an arrangement.

If you want to get funky, you could have some arrangements of colorful potted cacti and succulents, or incorporate some dry, twisted branches for a sleek mid-century look.

If you're in the area, I think it would be fun to check out the Moorten Botanical Garden for inspiration, or go hiking around Tahquitz or Indian Canyon.

OK clearly I am beyond excited about your theme, I want to hear about what you guys are wearing and everything!

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 9:28 AM Go to message in response to: basodie

Basodie,

Thanks! We're not dressing especially "Palm Springs". The venue itself is so wonderfully mid century, I don't need to do much & want to avoid being too theme-y or gimmicky.

The bird of paradise, I hadn't considered but it's a good suggestion. I'm avoiding the desert cacti in favor of flowers. The room needs softness to balance out the wonderful classic rectangles & squares.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine