May 2012 brides. Anyone out there?

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 105

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Re: May 2012 brides. Anyone out there?
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 8:51 AM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

Oh and we were planning on having a Saturday evening reception but now we are going to do a Friday afternoon reception. My first date choice is 5/11 and my second choice is 5/4.

We switched to a Friday because of our reception venue's prices. The price goes down about 50% for a Friday!

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

Well I got a few things accomplished this morning. I got the price quote for the cake from the bakery and I also got the quote for the flowers. I also ordered a few sample invitations from www.123print.com. I like this invitation a lot: http://www.123print.com/Wedding-Invitations_Charming-Elegance_Design-BABBDIDA

futureswedishbr... Posts : 115 Registered: 7/27/10
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

It's going alright. There's a wedding show coming up towards the end of September that I would like to go to. I may have to find a new photographer because the one I had orginally wanted to go with is kinda ignoring me. I did find the Dj I wanted. She's only going to charge me 600 bucks and the deposit is only going to be a hundred bucks. Still trying to figure out the rest of the Hors D'ouvres menu. I also think i'm going to have tangerine orange as an accent color. Do you think that would look alright with my colors of Cornflower Blue and Watermelon Pink?

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: futureswedishbr...

Yeah I think that it would go nicely with your other colors.

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

I think I will use it then. I have what kind of cake we want. A 3 tier strawberry cake with banana filling and buttercream frosting. Although, we are not sure if we want to stick with the Hors D'oeruves buffet or get the 2 entree selection menu. The 2 entree selection will cost us considerably more than the other.

Posted: Aug 22, 2010 6:52 AM Go to message in response to: futureswedishbr...

The venue that we're looking at has one lunch package and a couple of different dinner packages. The lunch package includes: A cup of soup or salad, a selection of rolls, 3 entree choices, coffee and ice cream or rice pudding. They also have the appetizers broken down into little groups and you can add them to you package as well.

Are you going to have a cocktail reception? I would have loved to have a very late ceremony and reception and then have a dessert buffet instead of a full meal.

What will your cake look like?

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

Well we are now shooting for a May 4th date instead of the 11th. It's a loooong story but I guess that the bright side will be that I'll be on my honeymoon on my birthday now!

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

I do not know if we are going to have a cocktail reception or not. The cake will be strawberry with banana filling and buttercream frosting. It'll have 3 tiers that are round shaped. I want a ribbon of color on the base of each tier but I am not sure which color I want for the ribbons. I'm thinking about using the watermelon pink.

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: futureswedishbr...

Uh, well we've had to change our date again but this time for an ok reason. My FH and I are both going back to college next week and we're both scheduled to graduate with our degrees in early May 2012. So we thought that it might be for the best to change the date for the end of the month instead of the beginning. The plans for the wedding are going to change now too since we will not be working as much as we are now once classes start. I'm thinking about renting a local park and doing a brunch reception now. Idk??

On a side note, the samples that I ordered from www.123print.com came in the mail and I LOVE them! I think that I am going to order from them when that time comes. They're about $20 for 50 which would be perfect for our now TINY budget.

Your cake sounds like it will be really elegant and yummy!!

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

I like the wedding in the park idea. I'm trying to decide between leaving my reception start time at 4 or at about 7. The reception will be at the top of a 22 story tower and the view is amazing especially at night. Both the view during the day and the view during the night is amazing! Also i'm left to plan the wedding by myself for the next year because my fiance got deployed to Afghanistan with the Army.

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: futureswedishbr...

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I mean I totally respect the sacrifice that all of them make but I don't like it. I hope that made sense.

My FH was inches from joining the Army this summer but it didn't work out and honestly I was so happy that he couldn't go. He would need a few more college credits for the job that he wanted. He's going back to college, he actually starts on Monday, but he's not going for the Army. He's not going to try and join again. There was a lot of issues with the recruiters leaving out information or giving him mis-information and he got fed up with it. And yesterday he got a HUGE PROMOTION at his job and he's really happy about that so he wouldn't want to go now anyway. His promotion was so big that I quit my job today! Now I can just concentrate on college. I'll be starting this Monday or next Monday. I have to wait for my admissions counselor to call me and let me now, hopefully sometime today.

I'm not totally thrilled with the park idea but we need to cut the budget down since we'll be going from two paychecks a week to one. And unfortunately we still have lots of bills! LOL

I think that I would pick the later time over the afternoon but they both would be amazing! Have you made any other plans?

When does/did your FH leave? Do you know exactly when he'll be coming home?

SlvrSpecVgrl Posts : 5 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 6:33 AM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

We decided on May 19, 2012! It was between that date and June 2 but decided on May since it would be a little cooler outside.
I think I might be in a little over my head with the planning though at least when it comes to the reception. Us and are immediate family live in Orlando, Fl but we decided on having the wedding in Iowa(near the Mississippi River). It was very important to me to be married in the same church that my grandparents were married in May 1957, St. Francis Xavier Basilica. I had looked for other Catholic church's in or near Orlando and nothing comes close to the Basilica, I get this incredible feeling when I walk in. But for the reception I have no idea, I do know that we do not want a "party" we would be happy with just a nice lunch/brunch and the typical first dances.
The other issue is that I'm extremely close to my big family who all live in either Iowa or Illinois and he's only close with his mother, grandmother and siblings (a younger sister and older brother). He talked to his immediate family and they all said the same thing, "I'll go wherever you have the wedding". I made a quick guest list and I feel that my family is "taking over" (my 60 vs his 11). Is this normal?!?!??! I know its far away but still, sorry if I began to ramble....
Since we've only been engaged for a month the only thing that we decided on so far is that we want a modern retro feel, i.e: channeling the 1950's!!

Posted: Aug 27, 2010 10:03 AM Go to message in response to: SlvrSpecVgrl

Oh that will be so special to get married in the same church as your grandparents did! I think that a lot of people have that mis-matched guest list issue. I know I do! LOL My FH has a very large immediate family and he's close with all of them and I have a tiny immediate family and we are not quite as close.

Right now we are either going to do a breakfast/brunch reception in a park or have an intimate lunch reception with just immediate family (about 30 people) at a room in a restaurant. We could not afford to have a big wedding with all the trimmings and invite EVERYONE.

I'm 95% sure that we are going to go with this invitation:
http://www.123print.com/Wedding-Invitations_Charming-Elegance_Design-BABBDIDA
That's all that I've done so far though.

SlvrSpecVgrl Posts : 5 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Aug 27, 2010 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

So we had to change the date again...its going to be held on May 12, 2012.
I def. like that idea of an intimate family affair for the reception, I think if anything we can go out at a different time to celebrate, maybe something not so formal...With my mother's side of the family I have a lot of younger cousins...and those invitations are really nice...we haven't decided on invitations yet but have looked at save the date cards, we plan on using vintage postcards.

Posted: Aug 28, 2010 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: SlvrSpecVgrl

We changed our date a bunch of times too. I think that we've finally settled with the 19th. Crossing my fingers!

I like that idea for your save-the-date cards! Are you going to make them yourself or order them?

I have been thinking about maybe making some paper flowers to use as decorations for the reception and maybe even for the centerpieces.

Like this...

Photobucket

I've almost made up my mind about my color scheme too. Did you decide on what colors you're going to use yet?

I bought a DIY invitation kit a couple of months ago and my mom thinks that I should just use that since I already bought it. It was only a few dollars too! I may buy some ribbon and maybe make some small paper flowers and play around with them and see if I like the finished product. If I don't like them then atleast I haven't wasted a ton of money on them and I can just go ahead and order some.

I bought the Wilton kit in ivory:
Photobucket

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine