Crater of Diamonds, Arkansas... ?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Crater of Diamonds, Arkansas... ?
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 8:28 AM

Hey ladies!

I was talking to a friend of mine who had just come home from visiting family in Arkansas, and he mentioned something called the Crater of Diamonds State Park. I'd never heard of it, and asked him to elaborate. He said it's a state park where you can mine for diamonds yourself. Anything you find is yours to keep, you just pay $7 admission for the day to dig.

Has anyone else heard of this place? I lived in America for over 16 years and never heard of it once, but it sounds like it could be fun! Has anyone ever been there?

ETA: It says on the website that most of the diamonds found there are too small to be cut, but they can be mounted in jewelry while uncut. Could be kinda fun to make your own ring/necklace, if you're the type to worry about blood diamonds.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Crater of Diamonds, Arkansas... ?
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Dear Van,

Oh, yes, been there done that.

We went, years ago, with the kids and had a great time. We didn't find any diamonds, but when you have 8-year old boys, dirt, mud and rocks, it's no-fail fun.

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I had never heard of it, but that does sound like fun. I wouldn't be counting on finding any diamonds, but I think the "what if?" factor would make it kind of fun. :)

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Aug 28, 2010 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

Oh yes, I don't think that finding any truly valuable gem is likely, I just think it could be a fun place to go for a day if you happen to be passing through Arkansas. I'm one of those people who likes to go out and get a little dirt smudge on my cheek now & then.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

aea1 Posts : 27 Registered: 10/10/10
Posted: Oct 10, 2010 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Van,
I've been there! It is quite fun! Probably more enjoyable with children but still fun if you go as a couple. I would recommend a trip. Don't go in the dead middle of summer though--it will be way too hot, in the high 90s, nearly 100. You are digging in an open field of dirt. Oh and be sure to wear tennis shoes.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine