Paper Lantern Help

Online Users: 1,297 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 6

Orbital199 Posts : 92 Registered: 10/12/09
Paper Lantern Help
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 9:14 AM

I want to create a dramatic look with paper lanterns suspending from the rafters of our ceremony area, but I'm not sure how to do so without the lighting system looking tacky. I want to achieve this look.

http://www.luminousld.com/chinese-paper-lanterns.htm

I'm afraid if I use a light string kit like the one below that the white cord is going to be unattractive.

http://www.paperlanternstore.com/25soc7liw.html

Has anybody used this in the design of their wedding reception? If so, how did you manage to suspend and light them?

Thanks.

Re: Paper Lantern Help
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

To anyone who's also interested in paper lantern hanging techniques, I just found this great tutorial.

http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-ideas/diy-wedding-challenge-2010-lighting-paper-lanterns#Introduction

Looks like what I'll need is the paper lantern cord kit that will allow me to hang them at different levels. It's a little pricey at, $178, but that includes everything except the paper lanterns.

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Depending on time and people helping you, you can hang your lanterns with fishing line and use "candles" the ones with batteries. The only issue with that would be turning on all the candles. Another thing would be to look into the possiblity of using tulle to hide the cordes. If you don't want to use what you found online.

Posted: Aug 19, 2010 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: chris42005

I'm going to consider the fishing line option as well. I just wonder if the battery operated candles would last the length of the evening or if they would fade by the end of the night. If I do end up going with the drop down lighting kit, hopefully I could sell it after the wedding. Fingers crossed.

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Aug 21, 2010 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I'm not sure how long the batteries would last. Maybe time for a test run.

Good luck with all of it.

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 2:04 AM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I'm glad you liked my article. If you have questions after reading it, you can contact me via the form at this link.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

angiebgreat Posts : 11 Registered: 8/20/10
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I was in a wedding last year just about this time and I live in AZ and had to tell you what we did because there was alot of us helping on this project. The bride had about 50 or so of the laterns and wanted to hang them so here is what we did.

We first created a grid of the string across the ceiling. You have to make sure that when you lay the second row of string that you go over and under technique in order for the laterns not to droop. Also she had lighnting so we didnt use any lights inside the laterns and Im tellin ya it looked really cute..Im going to try and insert a pic so you can see them ..and its not working so email me and Ill send you the pics..as you will see they were different sizes as well so we were able to adjust the their lenghts..I would tell you this took about 1.5 to 2 hrs to hang...did it day before the wedding.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine