Does any one else....

Online Users: 1,307 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

KatieM Posts : 9 Registered: 8/23/10
Does any one else....
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 10:06 AM

I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and I'm already trying to start planning for the big day (which will be next summer). However, my mom and my fiance's mom both keep saying I should just go to the courthouse... Now the thing is, I don't want anything fancy or super expensive. That isn't my or my fiance's tastes. But i do want some kind of celebration for our friends and family to come to. And both my mom and my fmil had weddings when they got married.... I want them to get excited and stop trying to pressure me towards the courthouse.... Does anyone else have family members and friends telling them they shouldn't have a wedding?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Does any one else....
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: KatieM

Dear Katie,

" Does anyone else have family members and friends telling them they shouldn't have a wedding?"

Are you paying for your own wedding? If so, then just tell them to go pound sand.

Here's your script: "Thank you for your suggestions."

Want to be a bit snarkier? "We will take your suggestion and give it all the consideration it deserves."

If you are not paying for your own wedding, then you pretty much have to do what the wedding funders want.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: KatieM

Following up on what Aunt is saying, they may be pressuring you to go to the courthouse because they cannot contribute much money (if any) to your wedding, and so want to get out of feeling any obligation to spend lots of $$. Just something to think about.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

But to add to MrsD's post - If you and your FH are able to pay for what you want, then do what you want.

angiebgreat Posts : 11 Registered: 8/20/10
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: KatieM

I agree with everyone else!!! I married when I was 32 and my Husband and I paid for the entire thing. My mother is very controlling so when she couldnt put "something" towards it she realized that she had to go along with it and enjoy the day!

I have a blended family (5 step brothers and sisters and this will be a 3rd dad for me) so talk about trying to please everyone, blew up in my face!

I had a lot of out of town guests come so to make it easier for everyone, in their hotel rooms I had some fun ideas to go and do while they were there, as well as I had planned some fun night get togethers, which were optional and I wasnt going to get my feelings hurt if no one showed it was just a way for everyone to arrange some time to get together with who they wanted to be around in addition we were going to be there anyway!

Weddings bring the best and the beast out in someone no matter what just dont let it be you and hubby, remember your doing this for you two to start a life together and asking them to come and help "jump start" your life together.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine