What Was Your First Dance Song?

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

HereComesTheGroom Posts : 9 Registered: 8/20/10
What Was Your First Dance Song?
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 10:23 AM

I thought it would be fun to hear what people chose as their first dance song. There are so many options and so many reasons to choose a song, I thought this might help the people who haven't made a decision on a song yet.

My partner and I are using the song "I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton John. We both felt it was appropriate because we got engaged in 2005 in New York after seeing a performance of "The Boy From Oz" with Hugh Jackman. In the musical, there is a lovely moment between Peter Allen (HJ's character) and his partner where they sing this song. It carried so much emotion for us, that we just HAD to have it!

"I love you. I honestly love you..." - ONJ

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: What Was Your First Dance Song?
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

Dear Groom,

That's a beautiful song.

We did not have dancing at our reception, but we did have "Wedding Song" by Noel Paul Stookey played as we walked out to get married.

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Oh my!
Was there something wrong with the guests? I was just at a wedding where there was little to no dancing by the guests and it was awful. I'm not quite sure whether it's the responsibility of the DJ or the wedding party itself to make sure that the dancefloor is full the entire time.
At any rate, we aren't able to be legally wed in our home state yet, so we're just planning for the day we will be able to tie the knot.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

I don't think AOTB planned on having dancing at her wedding - not that no one danced (well they didn't but it wasn't set up that way).

Anyhow, we had Keeper of the Stars by Marc Chestnut.

But I like the song you and your partner have chosen - and love the reason even more!

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thank you! And the same to you. What a lovely song choice! Did you have a story behind it as well?

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

Dear Groom,

"Was there something wrong with the guests?"

No, we just did not have dancing. We did not have a DJ, either. We asked two friends with an electronic keyboard to play "Wedding Song" at the beginning of the wedding, and that was it.

My wedding was in my parents' back yard, and was similar to other (many) parties they held in their back yard.

Cocktails, smoozing but no dancing. I have nothing particularly against dancing, but it just did not take place at our wedding.

My wedding was, by my choice, rather minimalistic. Would you freak if I told you I had no limo, no garter, no bachelorette party, no aisle runner, no hair stylist, no makeup artist (in fact no bridal makeup at all), no child attendants, no videographer, no meal served, no rental menswear, no Save-The-Date cards, no favors and that my dress cost a whopping $85 (in 1976)?

The whole tab came to about $1000. My parents could have afforded a lot more, but that's what I wanted.

I'm still married, to the same guy, 34 years later. We had a big 200 bucks budgeted for our honeymoon. We went camping.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

Groom - No there was no real story to it aside from the fact that I felt like it summed up our relationship and so did my DH when he heard it. :-)

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

PharmToxGirl - That's story enough in itself!

AOTB - Backyard weddings are a breed of their own! They are instantly more intimate and such a great idea for tight knit families. The sky is the limit with what you can do with them and I am a huge fan of them.
Unfortunately for Jim and I, our families haven't spoken to either of us for some time. This is why we decided on a destination wedding with some close friends instead. It's sad because I had my Mother/Groom song picked out ("Something Good" from the Sound of Music) and Jim has a song picked out that he wanted to dance with his father to ("Be Italian" from the musical Nine). A backyard wedding is so special and I am happy that you were able to experience that, AOTB!

kellyheartsjeff Posts : 66 Registered: 2/25/09
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

I was STRESSED about finding "our song". Originally there were two songs we really liked, but we couldn't use them due to some other friends using them for their weddings. Then we just kept disagreeing on songs, FH was VERY picky when it came to picking a song...

We went to a wedding in May and "Unchained Melody" came on by the Righteous Brothers and we both looked at each other and said "I love this song!" So that's the one we're going with :) We both love the movie Ghost - FH always cries when he sees it (and he is NOT a crier!) so the song really works for us!

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

Dear Groom,

"Unfortunately for Jim and I, our families haven't spoken to either of us for some time"

That is unfortunate.

Last year, during the brief period of time same-sex weddings were legal in California, I attended two weddings for two lesbian couples.

At one wedding, a gajillion relatives of both brides showed up, pleased as punch their "girls" were getting married. The church was packed.

Same church, next week, no relatives of either bride showed up. Lots of church members did, though.

I was there, for sure, in my lavender and lilac, sobbing my little sentimental eyes out.

I have various gay relatives and friends, and would absolutely, positively attend their weddings, should I be invited.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

My wife and I couldn't decide between two songs, so we played the both.

Can you Feel the Love Tonight? and Its a Whole New World. The connection, Disney.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Dear Howard,

"The connection, Disney."

Oh. No. You're one of "them".

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Great Disney selections! I figure with having a destination wedding at Disney, we could do other songs of meaning for us. Luckily, though, when I walk down the aisle I will have "Someday My Prince Will Come" playing. No exceptions on that one!

AOTB: That's so refreshing to hear that A) the weddings were legal, even if only for a brief time B) the families were so supportive. I do think there is something to be said about families being more supportive of two women being together vs. two men. sad

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Aug 20, 2010 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

We did a swing dance to Leonard Cohen's, "Dance Me to the End of Love." Both of us love the song, the beat worked for swing dancing, and it is one of the few love songs that is not conspicuously a male-female thing.

Oh, and HereComesTheGroom, I'm sorry to hear about your families. We were fortunate that everyone in our family was quite supportive, with the exception of one brother-in-law. The BIL tried to tell my sister (his wife) that she shouldn't come to our wedding because of its being a same-sex wedding. Fortunately, for once in her life, my sister stood up to him.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: HereComesTheGroom

dear Groom,

" A) the weddings were legal, even if only for a brief time"

The marriages, themselves, are still valid. Prop 8 did not invalidate existing same-sex marriages, just made it impossible for new same-sex marriages to be established.

We are all holding our collective breath about the Prop 8 court case. It could be just a matter of weeks before same-sex marriages will, again, be legal in California. Even though I'm a straight, married woman, I absolutely support full civil rights for homosexuals.

" I do think there is something to be said about families being more supportive of two women being together vs. two men. sad "

I can't comment on that, except to say that the two same-sex weddings (legal weddings) that I have personally witnessed both involved women. One wedding had lots of relatives there. The other did not.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine