Hey I was curious. Whats the deal w/ women who buy the dress b4 engagement?

Online Users: 1,322 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Noelene123 Posts : 19 Registered: 12/21/08
Hey I was curious. Whats the deal w/ women who buy the dress b4 engagement?
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 3:47 PM

So I have been watching Yes to the Dress lately. And I have seen a ton of women who buy a wedding dress way before they get engaged. May I ask why would you buy a dress and not be engaged? It seems like its just asking for the other to be scared off. I can see if you and your partner talked about getting married but then can't afford an engagment ring yet but then you want to get your dress. But even before talk of marriage I think is just asking for trouble. I am just curious and wanted to ask. I don't mean to be offensive its just seems a bit odd to me.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Hey I was curious. Whats the deal w/ women who buy the dress b4 engagement?
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

Ladies,

I've heard of women who plan their entire weddings, down to the caterer menu and napkin colors, before they even meet the groom.

"I don't know who I will marry, but when I do it will be at this hotel with this food and this DJ and this florist..."

If I were a guy and I heard my new girlfriend had all this worked out, I would RUN FOR THE HILLS as fast as my two legs could carry me.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 1:18 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

Dear Noelene,

One problem is the dress might go out of style between now and when it is actually worn. The bride walks down the aisle in 2015, and some guests think "That dress is SO 2010.".

Worse - a guest might recognize the dress as having been sold five years ago, and deduce the bright bought it at a thirft shop or garage sale. "Only worn once!".

Noelene123 Posts : 19 Registered: 12/21/08
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Exactly! Why get a dress early because one its going to be out of style. and I think its just asking for any guy to be like. ummm ok your odd.

mermaidqueen85 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/7/09
Posted: Aug 2, 2010 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

I have actually done this; twice! My first engagement was to my ex who I was with for four years. I left him for my now fiance. but, I wanted a different dress. I looked at over 1,000 dresses online and only found one I really liked. I had to get it, because the dress was only available for a certain amount of time. We argue sometimes, but are still planning getting married. As to why, I can say if you and your boyfriend are discussing marriage, you can get really excited about planning. If the subject of marriage hasn't even come up, then no, I don't understand. And yes, even if you are discussing marriage, it does seem to scare them a little, lol!

"Love is not selfish."

Starqueg Posts : 17 Registered: 10/30/09
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

I've been planning a bit, but I'm at the point where my ring is hidden somewhere in my apartment. I used to have tons of dresses and floral arrangements saved on this site, and was so sad when they all got deleted. I haven't gone to an actual store or bought anything, but I'm getting ideas.

Rachel

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine