handwrite or use printed labels on invites?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

Misstnt Posts : 26 Registered: 5/21/10
handwrite or use printed labels on invites?
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 3:27 PM

I had already ordered the designer to make address labels for me and then I thought maybe the invitations should be hand addressed. What is everyone else doing? Should it be done only if you have nice handwriting? Which I don't LOL

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: handwrite or use printed labels on invites?
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

If you have the time, then go ahead and handwrite them. Don't worry too much about handwriting -- you'll eventually have to write Thank You notes, so you might as well get used to it now.

That said, I did not handwrite mine. The woman who created my invitations went ahead and pre-printed the envelopes with addresses on them, which works fine for me, as I do not have the patience to handwrite addresses if I do not have to. I do that every year at Christmas; I'm not going to do it if I can get around it.

But officially -- you should handwrite them, as that is good etiquette. Also, many people get a lot of junk mail, even junk mail that resembles wedding invitations. Handwriting them is a way to make sure your invite does not end up in the trash.

So, to sum it up -- if you have the time and inclination and want to be etiquette-perfect, handwrite them. But if you don't, not a big deal in my book.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: handwrite or use printed labels on invites?
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

Dear TNT,

You'll get a lot of answers on this. Many people think that machine-printed labels are OK.

I do not.

I see wedding invitations as personal, not business, correspondence. Machine-printed addresses are for businesses. Hand-written addresses are for personal correspondence.

The handwriting need not be the bride's personal writing. Any legible handwriting will do. Can you do a huge favor for a friend in return for her addressing your envelopes?

I've heard all the excuses:

-It's more efficient.
-I have a gazillion guests and can't possibly address each envelope.
-I don't have the time.
-Handwriting font looks nice. (Note: I can spot handwriting fonts a mile away. I get junk mail like that daily.)
-My handwriting is terrible and the post office will get confused.
-I get terrible writers cramp.

To all these excuses I have three words: Thank. You. Notes.

You will need to write all the thank you notes for your gifts with your own sweet little hand, or that of your new husband. You cannot machine-print thank you notes. You cannot farm it out to someone else. The hand holding the pen that raves about the Lava Lamp from Aunt Martha must be that of you or your husband.

If you don't have time to write a gazillion wedding invitations, then you certainly won't have the time to write a gazillion thank you notes PLUS the address on the note envelope. If your handwriting is so awful that no post office employee can possibly decipher it on your wedding invitation, then how do you expect the post office to decipher it on the thank you note? If you suffer from crippling writers cramp when writing only the addresses, how can you expect to write all those thank you note?

There's a real practical use to avoiding handwriting fonts and other machine-printing. It makes your envelope look like junk mail. I get time-share junk mail all the time. They are really weasely about making the junk mail look like "real" social invitations. They use handwriting font. They put only a return address on the back. I am in the habit of shredding all my junk mail.

A few years back, I got a wedding invitation with a handwriting font address. I dropped the envelope in the shredder, and was just seconds from dropping the rest of it, when I happened to catch the last name of one of my friends (the father of the groom). The invitation was, literally, 2 inches above the shredder when I pulled it back, looked again, and realized it was a wedding invitation.

Since I had already shredded the outer envelope, I no longer had the bride's parents' address and had to go to some trouble to find that for the RSVP.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine