Tragedy

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Tragedy
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 12:59 AM

I went with my husband this weekend to visit his parents, and so that he could race with his dad. He races microsprings, has since high school. His parents just celebrated their 50th anniversary, and were happy and in love just as they were in the beginning.
tonight, todd and I just got back to his parents house after being released from the hospital.
On the way to the races, a 23 year old male ran a stop sign at a blind intersection and hit my FIL's truck, drivers side, doing well over 50. We were also doing about 50, though I don't remember details.
My wonderful FIL died on impact, it took them over 2 hours to get him out. DH and I were in the back bench seat, and when the truck stopped rolling, the front seat passenger side was on me, and I was on Todd, and when we woke up (it felt like a dream at first) all I could see was blood, all over my DH. He was ok, he woke up. I was ok, I woke up. Neither of us have any permanent or even very serious physical injuries, and although we are sore and can barely move, we will recover soon. My MIL will also recover, physically. She has a broken pelvis, broken wrist, and seriously bruised face though thankfully does not need the surgery they initially thought she would. DH had surgery on his foot, as he had a deep laceration above a break. He is up, walking, and no permanent damage. Mostly, for us it was just bruises.

But...our lives, our families lives, friends lives, all irrevocably changed because someone chose to drive drunk. He is in jail pending charges.

It is surreal, and I sincerely hope our memories of the accident never return. What we did see and hear was bad enough.

Please, if anyone ever wonders if its ok to drive, remember this. it happened in an instant, and can never be undone. To my FIL, you will be missed and were very, very loved by all.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: Tragedy
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Oh, Cyndi.

What terrible, terrible news. I'm so grateful that this accident did not bring further tragedy to your family, but, frankly, that seems like cold comfort in the wake of what it did take away.

Much love to you and your loved ones; and as for drinking and driving, I hear you and I will share your story.

Again, seriously, all the love in the world to you and your family.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 11:25 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I had chills reading your post. I'm so very sorry for your loss. There is nothing else to say, except I hope that you and your FIL and his family's physical wounds heal quickly, so that you can begin to heal the emotional wounds.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Dear Cyndi,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cindy, that is horrifying. My deepest condolences.
Out of curiosity, was anyone wearing seatbelts? I hope so. It sounds as if things could have been a lot worse.

Two years ago, I was driving a few blocks from home when a 16-year old ran a stop sign, crossed four lanes, and T-boned my car.Fortunately, injuries were minor, but the car was totalled. All of this happened in seconds. The police, the court that convicted her, and the insurance companies all found me not at fault. And the best part? I just found out that she's suing me, for what I have no idea!!

myra@classysassyweddings.com

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I am sooo sorry for your loss. This makes me mad and always has made me mad that people drive drunk! I always hear about innocent people getting hurt, dying, or losing loved ones because of some jerk who drives drunk. I have no pitty for them and I do not feel one bit sorry for drivers who drink and drive. It makes me sick to know that those people get behind the wheel of a car drunk not caring or knowing that they can kill innocent people. I hope that guy that ran into you guys suffers forever knowing that he took someone's life away and ruined lives of those loved ones.

I am deeply sorry. I don't know you personally but I feel like I know you because of the forum and you've given good advice to me in the past, so I feel deeply sorry you, for your MIL, and your husband and everyone else in your family. I wish there was something I can do to make you feel better but there isn't :( Just remember to surround yourself with friends and family in this time of need.

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cyndi, Words can be so very inadequate sometimes.You have my deepest sympathies.

That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cyndi, I too am sorry for your loss.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Thank you everyone. DH's mom hopefully can come home today, she has a long road of recovery and may never recover her eyesight. But she is alive. DH and I are alive. We went to see the truck yesterday, alone. After that, we are certain that my FIL did not suffer, he couldn't have. We are also certain that our lives, are a miracle. No one should have walked away from that truck. We will not forget that.

We are recovering, slowly, but we will. We will also pursue the case, as FIL should not be forgotten and we will push hard for a trial. That won't bring him back, but people have got to stop this.

Thank you all for your kind words, they help a great deal. DH and I finally slept for 6 hours straight last night, in a bed, which is so nice. Family should start arriving today, and the memorial is Saturday. So for now, we will just stay together and I will help DH get through the services. I understand his pain, having already lost my dad and grandpa, but understanding that means I know it will take him a very long time to get through this. MIL will have family, friends, and as much support as she can accept for as long as she needs. This is a wonderful family, and I'm forever grateful to have had FIL in my life. Thanks again to all of you here, I know it's a message board, but it still feels like a community to me, one I've been part of for quite some time and so your words and support truly do help. Please, share our story. If even one person chooses NOT to drive drunk, it's worth it. And, to stop at stop signs, in the country, they are there for a reason even if people don't think so.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

JessyNChris Posts : 120 Registered: 4/3/08
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

That's so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.
My FI's father also was killed by a drunk driver when he was 14. He was also in the car when it happened, and he was injured. I didn't know Chris when it happened, so I didn't get to know his father.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting  Waiting to be Mrs. Styskal 

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Jul 22, 2010 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

My deepest condolence goes out to you. It is not fair that one person's choice changed all of your lives. I'm so deeply sorry.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine