Opening wedding presents with the family-thoughts?

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 6

communitynameis... Posts : 15 Registered: 5/13/10
Opening wedding presents with the family-thoughts?
Posted: Jul 11, 2010 9:57 PM

Ok, so I have a dilemma. My FMIl (two weeks from today!) really really wants my FH and I to open presents with her whole family and my mother the day after we get back from our honeymoon.

Normally I would love to open presents with the family. However, my fiance and I live 1800 miles away from our families, and any/all presents that are not shipped to us will have to be packed into our SUV and driven home with us, on Thursday (the day after she wants to open presents).

We will have quite a bit of stuff with us, between the gifts we received from our shower (still in our hometown), and then any wedding gifts, plus our own luggage and such from my month long stay at home and husband's 15 day stay....

I am most definitely willing to compromise and open SOME presents-if there are any gifts that she really really wants to see opened, I would love to accommodate her and open those gifts. Even with 25 gifts (which out of our 125 person wedding seems pretty normal/reasonable), it will be difficult to repackage and stuff everything back into the storage area of our vehicle.

How do I diplomatically tell her that her wish, while lovely and thoughtful, is impractical for our circumstances, without getting things off on the wrong foot? If we didn't have to travel the very next day, I would understand-but we can't delay our trip home even one day because of jobs...

thoughts, ladies?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Opening wedding presents with the family-thoughts?
Posted: Jul 11, 2010 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

Dear Comm,

Well, on first glance I would think it more efficient to open the presents, then repack them without boxes, wrapping, bows, etc. A set of bath towels can be wrapped around some dishes, for example.

If you really don't want to do it that way, just tell her "Sorry, no, that's not possible.".

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

"How do I diplomatically tell her that her wish, while lovely and thoughtful, is impractical for our circumstances"

That's exactly what you tell her (that is, what HER SON tells her.)

myra@classysassyweddings.com

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Dear Myra,

" (that is, what HER SON tells her.)"

Another speechless robot groom.

I agree, FH should deal with his mom.

SpideyBridey Posts : 66 Registered: 5/17/09
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

Tell her to come to you!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 12:56 AM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD.
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine