Wedding attire and Butting Heads with FMIL

Online Users: 1,265 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Wedding attire and Butting Heads with FMIL
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 3:04 PM

Ok so Eric and I are planning a more relaxed (but not completely casual) wedding, on a Sunday morning at a park. The ceremony will be in an old barn, and the reception in the rest of the site, including big open grassy areas (we will have lawn games, bounce house, etc), and a shelter that has a stage. We decided that we wouldn't have the wedding party in real "fancy" clothes- like, the guys would be in a nice pair of Wranglers, haven't decided on the tops yet.

Well my FMIL told my FH today that she doesn't understand why we aren't having tuxedos and wouldn't we rather??

Am I wrong in thinking that a wedding in a barn, on a Sunday morning, could very well warrant a less formal dress code?

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

smileyface Posts : 19 Registered: 8/15/09
Re: Wedding attire and Butting Heads with FMIL
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 2:51 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

of course not, its your big day and it should be special and memorable to the two of you, and if both of you decide thats what you want then i say you should totally go 4 it :), you just gotta remember, its YOUR wedding not theirs :)

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Tuxes would look ridiculous at a Sunday morning barn wedding. Your FMIL needs to get a clue!

myra@classysassyweddings.com

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:01 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Thank you thank you thank you! I just wanted to make sure I had a clue. I guess I do, now she needs one. LOL

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Too bad about your FMIL. I think your idea sounds just fine!

It was important to us that our wedding party have clothes they could wear again, not to mention were comfortable in.

Our groomsmen wore black dress pants (every man has that in the closet!) and dress shirts and ties bought at JCPenneys. Even if they don't wear the shirt and tie again, it cost a fraction of what a tux rental would have!

Also, our wedding was outdoors in June. Tuxes would have been too formal and likely too hot.

kharntb Posts : 13 Registered: 3/29/09
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Your idea sounds about right and sounds like the two of you have a great plan. You are doing something fun and different that is for both of you. I would say that do what you want. Also if she is still posing an issue that both of you should sit down and explain that this is why the guys shouldn't be in tuxes and say that this is your decision and why it is. Best of luck and have fun.

pancakes

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine