Well I need some tips

Online Users: 1,336 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

Noelene123 Posts : 19 Registered: 12/21/08
Well I need some tips
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 8:13 PM

So I have been trying to eat better, and give up pop. Well I got some of the pounds off. But I work nights 5:30pm-2am. So i sleep the majority of the day and get up right before work to get ready. Plus I have to always have to clean or catch up on laundry because of my schdule. How can I loose more weight? With out taking pills or starving myself? Any tips??? I want too look sexy in my dress.

dogbride Posts : 41 Registered: 4/22/10
Re: Well I need some tips
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 8:35 AM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

Working that schedule is challenging. Your body has a difficult time adjusting. I would first decide when you are going to sleep your 8 hours. For example, if you work 7am-3pm, then workout/do laundry etc, and sleep from 10-6am. Changing this drastically will cause you to be exhausted and not be able to focus on weight loss.

The other two aspects to consider are food and exercise. Are you burning off more than you are consuming? If your schedule is busy, maybe there are ways to fit your workout into the day-squats when folding clothes, walking your dogs, taking the steps. It would be nice if we all had the luxary of 2 months off to focus on weight loss, but its just not feasible.

Good Luck

wdubin Posts : 49 Registered: 4/27/08
Posted: Jun 28, 2010 8:38 AM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

Of course exercise will make the weight come off easier but a good diet can really get the pounds off. I lost 60 lbs. on Weight Watchers. Once you get used to it it is easy to follow. Meetings help but you don't have to go if you just follow it on your own and don't need the extra support. I know they have a program on line that you can join as well. Also, WW has a variety of foods/snacks that you can get at the grocery store that are low in points and makes the plan easier. Good luck!!

Noelene123 Posts : 19 Registered: 12/21/08
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: dogbride

Thank you. Just to fill you more in on my life. I work my full time job from 5pm-2am pretty much every day. Then my days off are wedesnday and thrusday. I also work part time at my aunts park in town and that is usually on the weekends from 9am-4pm. :P Then any time I get to my self I get to catch up on laundry,cleaning,then to relax I video game. Currently I'm getting back onto weight watchers I have lost 3lbs already within the first week but I know the big think I need to give up is pop. thats a huge thing that makes the pounds stay on.

wdubin Posts : 49 Registered: 4/27/08
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

3 lbs. in 1 week is great!! Keep up the good work with WW.

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

Some tips that I believe have helped me drop a few pounds:

Cut high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) out of your diet if you can. It is in almost everything, so you really have to read labels when you shop. Even things you wouldn't think needed sweetener have it, such as bread, ketchup, "healthy" cereals.

Hold your stomach muscles in whenever possible. This forces your stomach muscles to tone some, and muscle burns more calories than fat!

Giving up the pop is great! When I gave up pop before my wedding, I had to start wearing a belt with my work pants because they were sliding off my hips! If you can, switch to the habit of only drinking water. A slice of lemon in iced water (or just add a few drops of lemon juice), is VERY refreshing!

If you buy coffees when you're out and about, order the smallest size available, and order it with skim milk and no whipped cream. (FYI, Starbucks has an 8 oz size that they don't advertise; it's called a short)

Whenever you're sitting around, like at your computer, have some music playing. I notice that I tend to move around to the music even while I'm sitting. Every little bit of movement you do burns something!

If you watch TV, exercise during commercials or even during the whole show! Great time to do sit-ups, push-ups, use dumbbells.

Try to prepare your meals at home instead of going out. Even if you're craving something like a burger, buying the ground meat (lean, unless you can't stand lean meat), buns (check them for HFCS), and fixin's yourself ends up being much healthier and lower-calorie than if you get a burger from the drive-thru or even a sit-down restaurant.

If you do go out to eat, bring a tupperware container with you and when you're served, put half of the food in the container right away to take home. Eating half of what you're served will most likely satisfy you. Do this at home, too: just take half of the amount of food you think you need and eat that before getting more.

I hope these tips help! They are small changes that are really a longer-term help than a quick fix (except for the pop thing, I saw results pretty quickly when I cut that out). :)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

The tupperware is a good suggestion, or you could also ask your server to bring the to-go box immediately. Remove all but a REAL portion (not the service for five they stick on your plate). That way, you won't feel guilty for not 'cleaning your plate because children in africa are starving' You also won't be tempted to over eat.

There's one restaurant I go to (it's like a piccadilly). I grab the go boxes before I even sit down and portion out the food into them first. The food is good enough I will continue to shovel food in my face until the fork comes back empty (then I'll be hurting).

A lot of places also do those 'shot glass' desserts now. So if you must order a dessert, order one of those. All you really want is a taste anyway, not half of cake. :)

Misty

STBMrsBW Posts : 21 Registered: 7/16/10
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

I have found something that has really helped with my eating habits. I love to eat, not overweight but I do love southern food and it is so not good for me. I've given up on working out the last 6 weeks due to the weather and I gained some weight. I want to keep the weight off and I'm not going back to the gym until late fall. My cousin told me about this drink mix by Jillian Michaels. Its a power packet that you mix with water and drink before you eat. I have lost 5lbs in two weeks just with that. I'm not hungry at all. I eat dinner and possibly a nab during the day. The thing I have to control is my mindless snacking but this really helps. If I feel I want a snack I'll just drink some of the mix and it takes my mind off of it. Plus it has given me an extra boost of energy so I have more energy for the kids and wedding planning. And at night I can sleep, not like with diet pills that give me the shakes and keep me up all night. I highly recommend this stuff. You can get it at Wal-Mart for around $23 for 25 packets (I'm in SC). Oh, and I like the taste too. My cousin has lost over 60 pounds in 3 months, of course she is taking a pill along with it so..... But for me not to eat, not to be hungry all day, is really saying a lot for this stuff. If you don't have time for the gym this is worth a shot.

[

CenturyGuy Posts : 16 Registered: 7/16/08
Posted: Sep 8, 2010 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

I'll throw in my 2 cents here.

I'm a guy, so things might be a BIT different as far as metabolism...but...

I've been doing the South Beach Diet, and it's been pretty amazing. Since the beginning of the year, I've lost 53 lbs. The gist of it is:

Phase 1 - Lean meat and veggies. NO sugar, and you cut out the breads and fruits (they have sugar.) Do this phase for 2-3 weeks.

Phase 2 - Introduce back in WHOLE grains (limited), and fruits (limited.) Do this phase until you get to your target weight.

Phase 3 - "Maintenance" Phase. It's a more liberal Phase 2, where you add back in a few more whole grains (avoid the enriched flour found in so many breads/grains like the plague), and a few more fruits.

You're allowed to "cheat" now and then, and if you find yourself putting back on, you go back to Phase 1.

I started the year at 228.5. I'm down to 175 now.

Exercise is also important. With our busy schedules we have in this society its hard to find the time, but its crucial. I've forced myself to get up earlier so that I CAN exercise. I've done a combination of Nordic Track, rowing (machine), jogging (ran my first 5K in my LIFE back in may), and walking (did 4 miles this morning before work.)

You've got to view it as a lifestyle change. Not a "diet". We as Americans (assuming you are) eat terribly as a whole. We really have to retrain ourselves on thinking about what we put in our body. I really believe the South Beach plan has it right. Protein, veggies, fruits (natural sugars), and whole grains. Sounds like the food pyramid I had growing up that we never stuck to! :)

Enriched flour IS of the devil though...seriously. It's a killer for trying to lose weight. And I agree with whoever said to watch out for the high fructose corn syrup. Need to avoid that too.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: Noelene123

Rosa Clara Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-rosa-clara-c-420_451.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine