Toasts/Speeches

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Toasts/Speeches
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:19 AM

It just started to occur to me that generally (but not always) there are toasts/speeches at the reception. And almost all of the weddings I've been to, the bride gives one as well.

This is freaking me out! Obviously public speaking is not the most fun thing for just about anyone, but for me, it gives me hives. I have serious anxiety issues, and have been in therapy for over 2 years for it. The thought of talking in front of my 80 guests almost makes me break out in a sweat!

I will have to deal with it beforehand I guess. But then what do I say? What does the bride usually say in a toast/speech at her wedding?

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Re: Toasts/Speeches
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Honestly, I've never been to a wedding where the bride or groom speaks.

At my wedding, my father spoke to welcome the guests. DH and I thanked our close friends and family at the rehearsal dinner.

If you're not comfortable doing it, I would skip it. Nobody will miss it, IMHO.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Amanda in all the weddings I have been to I have not heard the bride give a toast. Usually it's the Best Man and Maid of Honor. During the rearsal dinner it's the parents that give a toast. I don't think it's required for you to give a toast at your wedding. So don't sweat about it :-p You don't have to give a toast! :)I know I'm not, I HATE public speaking as well.

Photobucket wedding ticker

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Check out my wedding pictures in the photo gallery of my wedding website!!! :)

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

I've had a combination of experiences...at some weddings I've seen the bride and groom stand up together to give a speech, other times it's just been the best mand/MOH or the parents, and once it seemed like everyone and their dog gave a speech as the mike was passed around the room (BAD IDEA!!!)

I think it's a nice touch for the bride and groom to stand up and say a few words of thanks to their families and friends who helped make the day possible and who have supported them throughout their lives. This could be tricky if there are difficult family dynamics (blended families, estranged parents/relatives etc), but in general I think it's nice. And it doesn't have to be long either, just a few heartfelt words from you and DH.

I'm a bit anxious about it too, but I think we'll do it anyway.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Dear Amanda,

"Thanks to all of you for coming. We really appreciate that. And, now, let's toast the man of the hour, my new husband, Eric!"

Short and sweet.

(Incidentally, one never toasts themselves, nor does one drink in a toast to oneself. The person smiles and looks happy.)

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks everyone. It must be a regional thing because every wedding I've been to, the bride and groom both speak, along with the MOH and Best Man, and usually the father of the bride.

I do think that Eric and I should at the very least stand up and thank everyone for coming and to our parents for all they have done.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

"Thank you so much for coming. Now, I don't want to hold up the party any longer; let's start dancing!"

That'll work.

Sidenote: I don't like public speaking either. My husband does, and at our wedding, after both of our fathers said welcome, he spoke, and then he gave the microphone to me, and I didn't much have a choice. Don't remember what I said, but it was something to the effect of "Thank you so much for coming. I'm really touched."

I wish I'd said the words I suggested above! But I was taken off guard. At least that won't happen to you!

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 8:47 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Our Best Man and my brother gave speeches - my MOH would have made herself sick with the thought of giving a speech.

I'm the more outgoing of the two of us, so I did thank everyone for coming and sharing our day - that it meant a lot to us.

I seriously spoke for maybe 30 sec.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine