Wedding Date

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 8

Montaya Posts : 4 Registered: 6/14/10
Wedding Date
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 11:25 AM

Okay so this is my very first post I just got engaged on 6/20/10. I think that we both already have a wedding date in mind of 1/1/2011. I just wanted to know do you think that is a reasonable date for everyone to attend because it is New Years day. I am just worried about everyone not being able to attent because of the date that it is on. So what do you girls think?

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Wedding Date
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: Montaya

If that date is what you and your fh want then go for it! Those that will want to see you two get married will go see you. But since it's a holiday I would suggest you tell people ahead of time.

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: Montaya

Hi Montaya,

My wedding date is the same! I love the date, but struggled with it at first because of the holiday. Keep in mind that because it is a holiday, many places are closed... so if you are thinking you or your guests might need to stop at the store or the post office or bank... that isn't going to happen.

I also found that airfare is more expensive during this time because of Christmas being so close as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that most people's children are off from school during this time... and some people off from work as well so it would be wise to let people know at least 4 months ahead of time in case they have a vacation planned.

We are having our ceremony abroad in Europe, so are only expecting 15 or so guests... this made the decision to have it on NYD easier, but every so often I threaten to change the date when I think of how crazy things will be in the cities for NYE.

You may also want to talk with the venues you're considering to see if they plan on charging more for the holiday rates... as well as the vendors. Sometimes they'll take any opportunity to charge a bit more. I found that in booking photographers that some vendors prefer to spend their holidays with their families and not taking pictures of mine!

Good luck!! It's a great date, just make sure you consider the downsides of it.
Etta Alpha

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: Montaya

Doing anything on a "holiday" will be more expensive. The venue, catering, photos, all of that will be charged extra, and if it will be be a destination wedding it might make things harder. But, just keep all of this in mind and add extra time into your planning and announcments. If this is date important to you than go for it.

lissagettingmar... Posts : 22 Registered: 5/29/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: Montaya

It depends on your crowd. My crowd wouldn't mind - well, most of them, because they don't really celebrate New Year's Day or they all have children so they wouldn't. My fiance's crowd usually spends the entire night at church so they might have more of a problem.

However some people may be pissed. The week between Christmas and New Year's may be their only vacation time for a while and they may resent having to use it to travel to see you get married - although they may not. It just depends on your group.

The biggest things you'll have to worry about are:

1) people will already have plans by the time you tell them, but you can avoid this by using save the dates. However, you've only got 6 months until your date, so you're already running low on time!

2) flight prices will be really high around that time of year, as will hotel prices, especially if you're getting married near a big New Year's celebration place like New York. I see you're in AZ though. In addition to the flight and hotel prices being more, your guests will likely have to fly on New Year's Eve in order to make it to a New Year's Day wedding. A lot of airlines may have this as a blackout date, and even if they don't a lot of things may be closed - food, banks, etc.

3) the prices of many vendors - especially venues, caterers, and photographers - may be very high, because it's a holiday and they usually rent it out for holiday parties. This will be especially bad because New Year's Day for 2011 is on a Saturday. It may not be as bad because you're getting married January 1 instead of December 31 (when most of the parties are actually booked) but you will face competition from other couples who realized that January 1 was a Saturday before you. You only have 6 months, too, so you may find it difficult to book a venue on that day.

SpideyBridey Posts : 66 Registered: 5/17/09
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: Montaya

I would definitely not plan a wedding on Jan 1 for a number of reasons. First, it is going to cost you SO much more. Since venues are not normally open on this day, they will absolutely charge you extra - PLUS they will need to pay their staff overtime since they are working on a holiday. Second, you have a very good chance of not having the type of crowd that you would want for a wedding. If everyone is having their typical New Years Eve type of night, they are not going to be drinking and partying on your wedding night as much as they would any other night(since they just did it the night before). Third, when would you have the rehearsal dinner? On new years eve? In my opinion, its kind of selfish to ask your guests to give up their new years eve plans to attend your rehersal.

You have to think about this from your guests point of view. If you were invited to a New Years Day wedding, how would you feel? For me, I would be a bit annoyed. People value these sorts of holidays to be able to make plans with friends and do as they please. I understand that you want to choose a day that has significance, but there has to be some other day you can plan your wedding on...

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Montaya Posts : 4 Registered: 6/14/10
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: Montaya

Thank for all of the advice. The wedding in set for 1/01/2011 we have actually found so many deals and have a good amount of people coming and they are the people who really want to be there. Thanks girls

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Montaya

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45684.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: Montaya

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine