Cake or cupcake? Or other options

Online Users: 1,260 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Misstnt Posts : 26 Registered: 5/21/10
Cake or cupcake? Or other options
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 2:11 PM

I have been set on having cupcakes instead of a cake. I loathe the whole cake cutting thing and like the look of a bunch of pretty cupcakes. But, my aunt said I'll have a "hot mess" on my hands if I do cupcakes becuase they're messy to eat. I'm not having a traditional sit down dinner. We're having 60 for hibachi upstairs from the hall in the restaurant. So, cake or cupcakes won't be served there and can't be eaten there. After dinner I imagined that we'd all go downstairs where there'd be coffee and cupcakes and cookies and people can enjoy them when they're ready. Any thoughts on the cupcake thing? Or are there any other alternatives to cakes?

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Re: Cake or cupcake? Or other options
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

I have seen some beautiful cupcake displays. I have also seen instead of one big cake, lots of lil cakes decorated as presents. Do want you want and what would work for your venue.

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

I definitely want to do cupcakes! I highly recommend them. The main reason I am doing cupcakes is because our venue doesn't have servers or caterers or event managers. So who to cut the cake for the guests? I'm sure a family member could do it but cupcakes are beautiful and can be done nicely.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 7:29 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

Well, you can counteract the "hot mess" by providing plates, forks and napkins! :) Cupcakes can be messy to eat--especially when topped with lots of frosting and/or decorations....

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: jmd22

That's what I said to her! That I'll provide forks and plates. Her response was "really?" Sigh. Don't you hate when you get opionins that you did not ask for! Humph! So, I am still open to cupcakes and cookies or a cake. We'll decide which one once we meet with the bakers and see the different options.

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

Mini cakes are great, but you'll spend more money on them than you would for cake or cupcakes because of all the work involved.

You can have simple slab cakes and skip the cake cutting part of things if you don't like that. I was at a wedding recently where they had a few different kinds of cheesecake on the dessert table and people just helped themselves. I think the cakes were pre-cut into slices though.

But you'd definitely need plates and forks if you go that route to avoid the "hot mess" =)

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

Haha, well, some people will just never be satisfied. I don't see the difference in eating a slice of cake off a plate, or a cupcake off a plate. Now, if you were serving cake, with no plates or forks, THAT would be weird! :) Do what you wanna do, and your aunt will deal with it- your wedding, not hers!

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

Don't you hate when you get opionins that you did not ask for!

Yes! So, I have a solution to that problem--IGNORE HER!
myra@classysassyweddings.com

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

Go for the cupcakes. I love the idea for two reasons. 1) I freakin love cupcakes and 2) No "cake-cutting" fee! (depends on your venue).

I'm off to eat a cupcake now.

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: ElleNChuck

HAHA! I'm still leaning towards cupcakes! But if not, our venue doesn't charge to do the cutting/serving so that's nice just in case we go the cake route. We'll probably save money by doing cupcakes though.

swtcheeeks Posts : 6 Registered: 6/24/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

You should definately do cupcakes! i love cupcakes!! You should have a little cake as well so that you and the groom can actually cut into it. and when it comes to having a piece of the cake everyone will have a cupcake instead [:
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 5:42 AM Go to message in response to: Misstnt

A-Line Straight Neckline Strapless CockTail Beading Empire Waist Zipper Chiffon prom Dresas
Save up to 30% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $118.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-straight-neckline-strapless-cocktail-beading-empire-waist-zipper-chiffon-prom-dresas-p-32013.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine