Distance between the Venue and Hotel

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

laurenm0423 Posts : 2 Registered: 3/21/07
Distance between the Venue and Hotel
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 10:28 AM

Hi All,

My fiance and I are getting married next October 2011 and need some advice on hotel accommodations. The area where we are getting married does not have many hotel options nearby. The closest one is in Fishkill, NY which is 25 minutes away from our venue. With that being said I wanted to make the wedding weekend unique by staying at an inn with our wedding party and immediate family. The closet inn large enough to accommodate us is 48 minutes away.

Please keep in mind we would be booking a shuttle bus to bring guests to and from each location (Fishkill Hotel and the Inn) in case people wanted to have a few drinks.

So two questions for all of you brides out there:

Would it be strange if our wedding party and close family stayed at a different place the night of the wedding then all of our other guests?

Is riding in a shuttle bus for 48 mins to and from your wedding too long?

Any help and or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Edited by: laurenm0423 on Jun 18, 2010 10:36 AM

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Re: Distance between the Venue and Hotel
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: laurenm0423

Staying at another hotel isn't a big deal, but the 48min shuttle ride is way too long IMO. I recently went to a wedding where the shuttle ride was about 30min from the hotel to the reception and everyone was complaining.

Your wedding will be unique without the stay in the inn, so I'd personally suggest going for a closer hotel.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: laurenm0423

My vote is 30 min dressed up for a wedding is the most you want to sit in a car for. If you can get closer and in a couple of hotels that would be fine.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: laurenm0423

Staying at a separate hotel isn't a big deal, but keep in mind that you might actually want to spend more time with your guests than you can at your reception. We ended up at the hotel bar with most of our guests after the reception, and it was great to have a chance to really sit down and catch up with people that we only had a brief chance to chat with at the reception. And it was nice to see everybody at breakfast the next day, too (we did not do a brunch the next day, but we saw mostly everyone anyway, except a few who left really early). If you don't have many OOT guests, this might not be a big consideration for you, but since 80-90% of our guests were coming in from OOT, we really wanted a chance to spend more time with them than we could at the reception, and we wouldn't have gotten that if we had been at a separate hotel.

As far as the distance goes, if there really aren't any closer hotels, it'll have to do. As a guest, I don't really like long shuttle rides, but if the hotel and venue aren't within walking distance of each other, I really appreciate the shuttle. At most weddings I've been to, the shuttle ride is 10-15 minutes max, so 45 minutes is really excessive - but if there aren't any closer hotels and you can't change the venue, there isn't a lot you can do about it. It sounds like it's too late for you to change the venue, but I'll say this in case other brides are reading and can learn from this: When choosing a venue, make sure there are hotels nearby because 45-minute shuttle rides suck.

We did go to one wedding where there was a very long shuttle ride, but I understand and appreciate why they planned it that way. They chose a hotel near the Long Island Railroad because they had a lot of OOT guests and wanted the guest hotel to be accessible from the airport and NYC without guests having to rent cars. I appreciate that, though the 35ish minute shuttle ride to the venue still sort of sucked, especially at the end of the night.

One more question: Since the distance is so far, will the shuttle only make one trip at the end of the night? If that's the plan, you might want to think about getting two shuttles and having one make a loop to pick up early and late guests, with the other shuttle in the middle to leave right after the wedding ends. That's one thing I disliked about that wedding I mentioned above: the shuttle only made one trip back, at the very end of the night. I understand why it did that, since the round-trip would have been over an hour, but we were REALLY tired from traveling and it was a LONG wedding, and we actually would have liked to leave about an hour before the shuttle trip. Not to make your life more difficult, but that was my experience as a guest in a similar situation.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: laurenm0423

Totally unrelated, but I used to live about 45 minutes from Fishkill :)

Anyhoo... a 48 minute shuttle ride in wedding gear is a bit long. I would opt for the shorter ride.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: laurenm0423

Save up to 28% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $236.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sheath-sweetheart-neckline-strapless-chiffon-wedding-dress-style-marion-p-33799.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: laurenm0423

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45677.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine