Reception Line

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Chattaroy Posts : 1 Registered: 6/18/10
Reception Line
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 2:01 AM

I am getting married in the same room as the dinner and reception will be. We will need to leave the room for 15-20 min after the ceremony to set up tables for dinner. There are nice enough grounds outside the building, and the only thing I can think of to do in order to clear out the room is to have everyone come outside for a reception line. Can anyone think of anything a little more creative, or something to do in addition to a reception line? It is a very small wedding - about 80 people.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Reception Line
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 8:29 AM Go to message in response to: Chattaroy

Dear Chatt,

How about "Attention everyone! We need to clear out for a few minutes while they set up for the reception! Follow me."

FairyTaleBride Posts : 52 Registered: 9/20/07
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: Chattaroy

I think the reception line may get everyone outside well, but I can not really think of another way to GET them outside. What concerns me, though, is KEEPING them outside. It may be a little hot in August and I know at my brother's wedding everyone went back inside on their own to escape the heat. Why not give them something to do out there for a few minutes? One thought I had, as it does not seem you are having a cocktail hour out there, would be to provide light refreshments, like water or a juice spritzer. People are usually thirsty after a ceremony, especially if they are going outside. Perhaps have a few little games to play? Croquet, or hula hoops, or something similar. Another option I have seen done is have the reception set up and let them sit at the tables during the ceremony. I dont think I would like it if after a ceremony I had to get kicked outside and wait for the reception to get made. They may not feel as much like they got kicked out if there is something out there for them.

Also, definitely ask the venue's planner/caterer what is usually done in this instance. They may have a solution that has already been done by another bride.

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: Chattaroy

How about putting in your program, "Please join us outside for cocktails before the reception" Or something of that nature?
Just a suggestion.

When is my wedding

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

http://brettandkayla.ourweddingday.com

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

OP- I went to a wedding just last week where they did had the same thing. Ceremony inside everybody out, reception in the same room. This was in Arizona so it was around 100 F. Basically they had chair and unbrellas and a refresment bar along with some little snacks. Crackers and cheese, the usual. It was really nice. The bridal party went off for pictures and all the guests mingled. It's really no different than a cocktail hour.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Jun 18, 2010 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: Chattaroy

Have your officiant announce that refreshments will be served outside right after the ceremony. As for a reception line, informal mingling is more modern and more pleasant for guests than having to wait online to speak to you.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine