Handicapped Father/ Daughter dance...

Online Users: 1,280 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Emmac386 Posts : 2 Registered: 6/16/10
Handicapped Father/ Daughter dance...
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 12:06 AM

Hey Ladies,

Very new to the website but I am having a huge dilemma that I have been putting off since I started wedding planning...My Dad is confined to a wheel chair so I am completely lost on what to do as far as getting down the isle and even more importantly our father/daughter dance. PLEASE HELP!

Emma

JBC123 Posts : 16 Registered: 6/1/10
Re: Handicapped Father/ Daughter dance...
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 12:27 AM Go to message in response to: Emmac386

Can someone push him down the aisle behind his chair while he holds your hand? That way he can escourt you down the aisle. You should definitely arrange for that, unless his chair is motorized, and he can work the chair with one hand while holding your hand and you walk beside the chair.

And for the dance, can you hold his hands and kinda sway to the music while he's in the chair? I know I saw something like that on TV or in a movie when someone "danced" with someone in a wheelchair. If his chair is motorized, he can move the chair back and forth while holding your hand and you can have your dance that way.

You can definitely improvise these two important moments to work around his chair. I think it would be beautiful and I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the house. Either way, he doesn't have to miss out on these two moments just because he happens to be sitting down.

Lots of love to you all! G--d bless!

JBC

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 5:37 AM Go to message in response to: Emmac386

It is such a coincidence that I found this question today - I watched a reality show last night where a girl got married, and had a handicapped father, & she adressed these very issues! Here's what she did:

• They walked down the aisle together. Her brother pushed her father's wheelchair, and she walked beside the chair, holding her father's hand. After the bride was "handed off" to the groom, the brother wheeled the father over to an empty spot in the front row (they'd taken out the chair in that row so he could just sit in his wheelchair without having to uncomfortably maneuver him out of it, and distract people from the starting ceremony).

• For the daddy-daughter dance, I started to tear up a little. The father had switched to his motorized wheelchair, and the daughter sat in his lap, while they spun around to the song. I know this next picture isn't completely appropriate to your situation, but I'm including it as an example of how the girl was sitting:

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Wedding/WeddingWC3.gif

I hope this helped!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 6:47 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I just got married and my dad is in a wheelchair. When spacing things out be sure to take into account that you will need enough room for your dad's chair and your dress. You don't want the chair to get caught up on your dress. Other than that, my dad rolled himself while i rested my hand on his shoulder. Is that a possibility?
wedding tickers

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: Emmac386

Dear Emma,

The PP's suggestions are all great. The aisle issue is a no-brainers. Just walk alongside your father, holding hands.

Wait wait, I just had an idea. It may be stupid, but I had a vision.

You and dad both in wheelchairs, side by side, both getting pushed and your arm under his arm.

Your wheelchair is decorated for a bride - white stuff, flowers, etc. After you get the the altar, and past the "Who gives this woman..." stuff, you get out of your wheelchair and stand with your groom. The "bridal" wheelchair is pulled off to the side, then it's brought out again for the father/daughter dance.

Pitch or toss. That may be the world's dumbest idea, or it may be brilliant.

Back to Reality: My best suggestion would be to talk to your father. See what he's comfortable doing, after all, he knows his own limitations better than anyone else.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine