Birth Control Question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Birth Control Question
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 10:40 PM

I will be talking to my doctor about this but I just want some opinions!

I'm currently on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and up until recently they had a generic version which they no longer make due to a lawsuit. The generic version won't be available until 2015! I was spending about $30 on the generic and now I'm spending $70! For a young couple like ourselves that's an expensive jump. I began looking into alternatives and I really like the implant!

It's about $300-500 for the implantation and it lasts 3 years. We don't plan on having kids for another 6 years. Doing the math that means we'll will potentially spend around $5,000 if I stay on the pill but only $1000 if I switch to the implant.

My FH is selling his boat so that initial cost is covered and we won't have to pay anything else for 3 years.

Has anyone been on the implant or switched to the implant from the pill?
27000_357855012861_529642861_3534868_1049818_n

To love another person is to see the face of God.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio

Teachers Posts : 12 Registered: 5/18/09
Re: Birth Control Question
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 11:17 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I use to use BC pill, but switch to the mirena IUD in Oct. 08. I love it. I have also tried the depo shot. I did not like the shot when I was coming off of it. Mirena lasts for up to 5 years and can be removed at anytime. I enjoy it because I no longer get my period. Once a month I will spot for one evening and then it goes away. I know that normally they suggest waiting to implant an IUD until after you have become pregnant. I'm not sure why that is, but that is what my doctor said. I live in Canada so I'm not sure if the price of Mirena is the same as USA but it cost $385 for 5 years. Way less than the cost of the pill over 5 years. I would go with it if your doctor thinks it's good for you. Good Luck

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 21, 2010 11:29 PM Go to message in response to: Teachers

Mirena is not recommended for anyone who has not yet had a child - I'm not sure of the reason, but a good thing to consider.

I haven't personally tried the implant. I was on BC pills and just switched my script if needed. I never had any problems.

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 4:06 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

You said you're paying $70???
Wow.
I just got Ortho Tricyclen Lo from Planned Parenthood for $3 per monthly pack.
Now, I don't yet have health insurance, and my dH is the family supporter and doesn't make a whole lot - plenty for us, of course, but we're not rich!
The Planned Parenthood people had us fill out forms, then took all that information and figured out how much of a discount we qualified for. Also, the nurse told me the most we'd pay (even with insurance) would be $25.
So, if after what previous posters have said makes you rethink the implant - maybe give Planned Parenthood a try.

HollyElise  

21. Canadian. Stay-At-Home Wife. Living in Hawaii.

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

I'm sorry. Let me clarify. I'm talking about Implanon. It's the birth control implanted into the inner arm. Because it isn't in the uterus women who have not yet had children, like myself, can still use it.

Holly: The closest Planned Parenthood to me is in the next state. =) Not very feasible. I could probably go to the health department but the stories I've heard isn't something I want to experience.
27000_357855012861_529642861_3534868_1049818_n

To love another person is to see the face of God.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Planned Parenthood, Holly. I tried going to them about five years ago, when I had a job that didn't offer health insurance, but found that my meager salary at the time was high enough to put me on the top of their sliding scale. It ended up being cheaper for me to go through my regular doctor and just pay out-of-pocket for the pills. Without insurance, I think I paid about $30/month for a generic. I was really shocked that Planned Parenthood wasn't able to help me, as I was barely able to pay my rent on the salary I was making with that job, so it's nice that they are helpful to some people who need it.

Anyway, Rebecca, I would do some serious research on the arm implant thing - and talk to your doctor. Personally, I am VERY hesitant about new forms of BC or ones that haven't been adequately studied. This is true for other medicines besides BC, but these things are pushed through testing SO fast and I don't like the number of problems that show up several years later about a new medicine - or an old one that hasn't been studied much. But that's me. If you and your doctor are comfortable with it, then it may be a good option for you. (Also be sure to how quickly it is reversible, if you change your mind and want kids sooner than you think. You might be sure, but people change their mind on these things every day).

Personally, in your case, I would switch to a similar pill that has a generic. There are many pills that are quite similar to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, and I'm sure your doctor can recommend a good one. But that's me.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

JessyNChris Posts : 120 Registered: 4/3/08
Posted: Mar 23, 2010 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I'm on the pill right now. I'm on an generic too. Mine costs $27 for one pack. Lately Walmart has been putting in 3 packs which is over $70.
I had been thinking about doing the Implanon (the arm thing) after we get married. My doctor even suggested it. We don't want kids ever. The thing I fear is the bad cramps that is a side effect of the Implanon.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting  Waiting to be Mrs. Styskal 

waiting2bemrs Posts : 9 Registered: 3/22/10
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: JessyNChris

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo is the BC that I was taking about 3 years ago, and currently am taking the generic version of the pill "Tri-Nessa". I think it costs $10? $30 without health insurance. Is this the generic brand that you were using? Or were you using Tri-Sprintic (or something like that?) I took it for a while, but switched over to Tri-Nessa because I moved my prescription over to Wal-Greens. So there is more than 1 generic brand out there for the Ortho Tri- Cyclen Lo.

To my knowledge Tri-Nessa hasn't been discontinued - but I am just about to buy my new monthly pack tomorrow - so I guess I'll find out.

Alright, so I was worried and called my Wal Greens and they still have Tri-Nessa. It is a perfectly acceptable generic form for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, and I have been using it for a year now. I have not gained any extra weight, nor have I had mood swings. It acts the same for me as Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo did. Perhaps ask your doctor about Tri-Nessa?

Edited by: waiting2bemrs on Apr 1, 2010 12:21 AM

amdjelly Posts : 48 Registered: 8/7/09
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

The best thing to do would probably be to talk to your gyno about your particular financial situation, and when you plan to have kids in the future. My gyno gave me a 6 month supply of bc pills (Yaz) in samples for free after I told her exactly what I was looking for. I never took them all though, because I ended up with a fairly large blood clot in my abdomen, and can't take bc or any hormon therapy at all. (Not to worry, the clot was not necessarily due to the pills. It is a possiblilty, but unlikely. Won't know for sure until I stop taking blood thinners in a couple of months and have genetic testing done.)

SarahSarah Posts : 93 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: May 14, 2010 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: amdjelly

You can get an IUD even if you haven't had a child. There is really no logical reason why not, other than it MAY hurt a little more than if you'd had a child already. Some gyno's won't do it, some will.

If anything, the people who need an IUD most is people who don't want children and don't need to have children (teenagers, etc.). That's the feminist in me talking!

I had one for 5 years, and it was wonderful. Never had a period, and my health insurance covered it. My friend got one after she had a baby and she said it was painful being inserted and she ended up removing it. I only felt a 'pinch'.

wilt Posts : 2 Registered: 6/6/10
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

oh this is a really tricky question

Edited by: wilt on Jun 6, 2010 11:44 AM

springorchid Posts : 176 Registered: 4/8/07
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I take the generic for seasonelle and have been really happy with that. Most birth control pills have a couple different generic versions (I have gone to CVS and gotten one, Target and gotten another), so perhaps your doctor or even a pharmacist would be able to talk to you about that.

I was on the depo shots for awhile until new studies started to come out about how it can depleate bone calcium and lead to ostioporosis. The moral: like Art mentioned, stay away from anything "new" to the market, and by new, I consider any medication that is less that 10yrs old to be new. The doctors discover lots of things over time and when you have safe alternatives there is no reason to take a chance with your health or with your potential to have kids (the IUDs have been show to cause infertility in many cases). You seem to have no problem with the pill, other than the money, so I would try to stick with the pill because they have the best, and longest, history.

QueenCandiss Posts : 1 Registered: 4/1/11
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I have actually used Implanon for a year now and LOVE it! I switched to it because I just couldn't remember to take pills at the same time every day, NuvaRing messed up my libido and the patch wouldn't stay on. I stopped having a period within the first 3 months, although recently I had a random bleeding episode. The doctor gave me pills to take and it stopped. It's so great because no one knows I'm on it and I don't have to deal with it constantly. I would look into family planning, I was able to get mine for only $250 saving a lot of money and a lot of aggravation. I didn't experience any weight gain or cramping. It has been a really good experience. Of course that is my personal experience and could be different for you.

P.S. They numb your arm really good so it doesn't hurt too bad, but be prepared to have a ugly bruise for a few days

sarahkayfa Posts : 7 Registered: 4/10/11
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: Teachers

Oh, I'd rather get the Mirena IUD. The cost is similar. A friend of mine gained a great deal of weight with the implant and I'm so weirded out by any skin things on my body---being able to feel it under my skin would freak me out.

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45679.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine