Tiffany Legacy Engagement Ring

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 61

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Tiffany Legacy Engagement Ring
Posted: May 19, 2010 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

For me, with the OP, it was that it just didn't make sense. SHe explained it, and daddy's paying, which is fine. That daddy is paying SO much for a ring, so it can come in a blue box, won't beunderstood by many people.

I frankly don't care, just think if daddy wants to blow that much money, then so be it.

As far as big rings/small rings, who cares?? I've seen people with either in miserable marriages or happy marriages. For me personally, I don't like big jewelry, of any sort. DH knows that, and always gives me things that he knows I'd like. What I find truly obnoxious, though (in real life, not on some anonymous board) is a person who just got engaged, shoving her hand in my face and then telling me the size and the cost. Ring aside, this person is probably obnoxious all the time, with other purchases/belongings, and I ignore them.

Personal preference for me? I prefer the family rings we both have, as opposed to other rings. But that's personal to us, and on another note, I find that this thread is even still continuing just, odd.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Posted: May 19, 2010 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

TrustLove,
Well it looks like you're planning on going in the direction that I did, except I did not go for the additional doctoral program. For me there was no reason to add the Dr. to my name; the pay was not going to be any different, which many times is the case. Getting your doctorate has certain advantages in specific situations, but in many cases the title doesn't get you much more than my degree would.
Opening a private practice is tricky nowadays. There's a lot of red tape involved, moreso depending on the state you are from. My father started his own practice 25 years ago on his own, and today he has a practice with 5 therapists, a psychiatirist, a nurse practitioner and a learning center. He has built a reputation over the years, and that is part of why he became so successful. It takes years of experience to do what he did, so I would suggest focusing your energy on getting in a great practice and getting the experience once you get your degree. Have you started your degree program yet? I'm sure it's in the thread, but I don't feel like looking. Just take it one step at a time, and be prepared for a long road ahead. It's worth it if you can stick it out. Good luck!

Posted: May 19, 2010 5:48 PM Go to message in response to: Nmahoney82

Huh?? What?? All that was in response to me saying that the word unneccesary was a little ignorant? Really?
First off, never said YOUR ring was small - just made a general statement - and I'm defensive? And if you'd like to read it again, I said that there is nothing wrong with a small ring, or a ring of any size for that matter.
And DOLL, if I may call you that, it's not about proving anything, or him not loving you enough - but I would like to thank you for adding those things that I OBVIOUSLY missed in my post (or putting words in my mouth, whichever way you'd like to think of it).
Yikes.

TrustLove Posts : 73 Registered: 3/7/08
Posted: May 19, 2010 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

Woostabride,
I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degree in Psychology (graduating a year early) at the end of July. My masters/doctorate program begins late August. Not much time in between receiving my BA and starting graduate school but that's ok. I know I have a long road ahead but it is so worth it to me in the long run. How many years have you been a therapist? Does it usually take a while after you get licensed to find a job at a practice (I'm guessing that the places I do my practicum and internships will allow me to have some good contacts, hopefully). I know the licensing test are different for each state, is it true that if you take the licensing test in California or New York it is easier to become licensed in other states if you move.?

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: May 19, 2010 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: Nmahoney82

I LOVE you. Thank you for making my shift at work so entertaining. We would get along just fine. Welcome to the forum by the way!

Posted: May 19, 2010 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

I started my graduate program directly following my undergrad because I knew that if I took the time off it would me much more difficult to get my butt in gear again. I have only been licensed for a little over a year (I'm 28) The procedure is relatively different from state to state, and I'm not postiive about the whole California/New York advantage. I know that if I were to move I would have to be re-licensed, and also complete any specific state preferences in the field that I may not have had to complete previously. In my case, it didn't have to wait at all after I was licensed, because as I mentioned my father has his own business and I had always planned to work with him. I also did my 3800 internship hours prior to licensing there as well. It depends on how much of a go-getter you are as to how long it will take you to get a job. Like you said, your internship could prove to be a good contact, or even a possible employer post licensure. As I mentioned before, I've seen many people who have gone on to get their doctorate and have received little to no benefit over someone will a master's degree in the same direct field. As you near the end of your graduate studies it may be in your best interest to do some research into possible future job opportunities.You may find that they extra schooling won't pay off.....or you may luck out. It's worth putting some time into.

Posted: May 19, 2010 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

That must be nice working with your dad at his practice. Thank you for all the good info. I was under the impression that you couldn't be licensed without a doctorate, but it is nice to know that you can. Hopefully the extra years will pay off for me. This is kind off topic but still related. FH and I would like to start having kids in the near future around 26, so in about 5 more years. I know it's possible to work and have kids, but I was just curious to hear about someone's experience who is a licensed psychologists who works and has kids as well. I'm not sure if you could help me out with that topic, but I just thought I would ask.

Posted: May 21, 2010 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

No, you don't need a doctorate to be a licensed therapist. In my state we have to complete a CAGS certificate program post graduate study and then do the intern hours, but doctorates are not mandatory.
Sorry, I can't help you out with the whole kids/working thing because I don't have any yet. Luckily for me, I will be able to get whatever time I need off when that time does come, because I work for my father. I plan to have kids within the next few years, and I'm sure it will work out just fine. I basically make my own hours, so when I do have children I will be able to work my schedule around theirs.

Posted: May 21, 2010 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

Good to know about the licensing. Thank you again for answering all my questions.

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: May 23, 2010 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

Wow! The Brides.com boards are full of drama-rama this weekend, lol.

C'mon ladies, let's not fight over something as personal as engagement rings. The general civility is what makes the Brides boards much better than the Knot.com.

Just as a smaller diamond doesn't mean that someone's fiance loves her less, the same could also be said that a man that chooses to buy a bigger diamond doesn't mean he is irresponsible or wouldn't make a loving husband for someone else.

As for those asking about why someone would choose to pay more for Tiffany, I would like to politely add my 2 cents. I agree that a better diamond could be had less elsewhere (though, branded cuts are still pricier than non-branded and cut is the most important C since it affects the sparkle of the diamond). But Tiffany settings are flawless and have a distinctive simple, American look to them. If you like everything about the ring's design (how the diamond lays, the shape of the prongs, the proportion of the knife edge, the symmetry) and you can afford exactly what you want without having to wait 10 weeks for a closely identical custom ring to be made locally, then it may be worth it to you to go for the little blue box.

Sometimes, it's not just the value of the raw materials but the inventiveness of the design and a desire to own a licensed/well designed piece. Fiberglass is cheap and plywood is cheap... but isn't there something special about an Eames chair?

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: May 23, 2010 10:33 PM Go to message in response to: BlueBoxBlueShoes

I have no problem with OP wanting a Tiffany ring. They make gorgeous jewelry. Personally however, I would not be comfortable knowing my dad paid for it. My parents have bought me beautiful jewelry and I cherish it all, but my rings are only from DH and that makes them incredibly special. Sure, we could have used the money my parents offered for the wedding towards my ring, but honestly I didn't even think of that. My DH bought the ring that he knew I would love AND that he could afford. When I look at it, I think of him and only him and it represents where we are at this time in our life. A bigger diamond that daddy chipped in on too, wouldn't be the same.

lissagettingmar... Posts : 22 Registered: 5/29/10
Posted: May 29, 2010 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

TrustLove,

I came to agree with the other posters in that you can get a 2.5 carat cushion-cut diamond for less somewhere else - if you were not already aware that Tiffany charges a large mark-up for diamond engagement rings. The Legacy setting is a very popular one, and there are many places that sell similar settings or will make one for you (and it shouldn't take 10 weeks). HOWEVER, you seem well aware of that fact and are willing to pay the mark-up for the blue box, so power to you - get what you want from where you want. It's your $44,000 to spend.

But in CASE you're interested, I encourage you to check out diamond wholesalers - both brick and mortar ones in your area and online through respected sites such as Blue Nile and James Allen. I checked up Blue Nile, for example, and you can get a high-quality 2.5 carat cushion-cut diamond for around $24,000. Even if you got a $6,000 setting, you'd be saving over $14,000. And in my experience, no one asks you where your engagement ring is from...well, sometimes other brides do, so they know where to get similar styles, but casual admirers do not.

I also came to contribute that I THINK you may be mistaken about the time to degree in your program. I'm in a psychology doctoral program myself and I have lots of friends in clinical programs, and a few in clinical-community (two at DePaul, one at UIC). The program takes 6 years total if you want to get licensed. The MA/PhD part usually takes 5 years (2 years coursework, 3 years of quals/comps and dissertation research) and the internship generally takes a 6th year. It's very unusual for someone to complete JUST the PhD (remember, you don't need to finish an internship to get the PhD - you just need it to get licensed) in less than 5 years, and sometimes it takes 6 years depending on the dissertation topic and other life issues (health, children, death in the family, etc. - life.) Also to answer your question about licensure...you don't need a doctoral degree to be a licensed therapist but in many states you need a doctoral degree before you can use the term psychologist if you are licensed. It's sort of an arbitrary distinction, but the APA has fought for it. The one exception to this is school psychology, because NASP has fought harder than APA, lol.

corac715 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/28/10
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: Elbelle77

"a bigger diamond that daddy chipped in on wouldn't be the same"....I totally agree. The engagement ring should come from your fiance only.....with exceptions to heirloom pieces.

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 12:19 AM Go to message in response to: lissagettingmar...

After thinking it over I decided that I could get way more for my money if I went to a private jeweler. So that's what we are going to do. While I still love Tiffany their e-rings are extremely overpriced. Not mention I have absolutely fallen in love with oval shaped diamonds and I'm not very fond of the oval diamonds e-ring selection there.

Lissagettingmarried-The grad program I am about to start is 5 years including a one year internship. It can be a 6 year program if you decide you only want to do your internship for half a year instead of one full year. It's a Psy.D. program. I will still need 1500 hours post doctorate before I can become licensed.

FifiLaLa Posts : 11 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 12, 2010 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: TrustLove

I'm totally late to this thread, so sorry. Yeah, if you have the $$$ to burn and have your heart set on Tiffany's, then go for it. However, being around your age, I'm in awe that two people in their (very) early twenties could afford a ring of that cost. I fell in love with a ring a SIXTH the price of that one, and it's going to take about two years before we can afford it. We went to a private jeweler who said, and I quote, "A ring like this from Tiffany's would cost around $14,000." The private jeweler was selling it for less than $10K.

I also feel that a ring coming from a father or parents takes away from the sentimental value of the ring. I would feel a little weird if I knew that my family helped my BF to pay for it. The ring should come solely from the man alone, I feel. And it doesn't matter how big or small the diamond is - the real "diamond" should be the man you're marrying. I'd say yes to a twist tie if my BF proposed with one.

I also feel that while it's OK to get engaged while you're still in school, I definitely would not get married until you both have graduated. Trying to earn a degree is hard enough without the added stress of wedding planning.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine