How soon do you start looking for a dress?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
How soon do you start looking for a dress?
Posted: May 26, 2010 7:42 PM

I'm not getting married until next summer, so I think it's probably too soon to start really looking for a dress (my weight may change, my mood may change, all of those things). There is one now that I really like, but haven't thought seriously about it.

How far in advance did you start choosing? (as in going to shops and trying on dresses). What would you recommend? How early did you buy your dress?

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Re: How soon do you start looking for a dress?
Posted: May 26, 2010 8:55 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

I was engaged December 2007, went dress shopping and found the dress Feb. 2008 and was married July 2009. So I did start looking far in advance. I was just so excited for all the planning, I started right away. I am also not a procrastinator at all, if I have something to do, I get it done right away. This worked great for me because I knew I had plenty of time to find the dress and didn't stress out at all.

Some people might advise waiting because your taste could change, but that all depends on who you are and what you're looking for. I'm a pretty traditional person, not looking for the latest trend or anything modern and I usually know what I want when I see it, so I had no problems looking early.

In the end, it's up to you and what you're most comfortable doing. If you look now and find the dress, great, if not, you still have plenty of time.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: May 27, 2010 8:35 AM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

Its never too soon lol. I'm getting married this October and I bought my dress July of 2009! So I bought it about 14 months in advance.

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

NissySokol Posts : 22 Registered: 12/23/09
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

i agree its never too soon. I got engaged about a year ago and bought my dress 4 months after getting engaged. my wedding is this july so i bought mine about 8 months ago. the sooner the better so you can get the dress expenses out of the way.

Wedding Tickers

Future Mrs. Sokol

Posted: May 27, 2010 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Yeah, I'd like to start looking, but my mum keeps telling me it's too soon. Do you know when the 'off season' is? Are dresses normally cheaper at different times of the year? I assume that summer would be high season for weddings (especially in the UK), but I'm not sure. You girls have experience with this?

Posted: May 29, 2010 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

Ohh, that's a good thing to point out, crystal! That's something I hadn't thought about. If I buy my dress now, it'll have to withstand not only VERY reduced closet space, and then moving to another country. So I should probably get the moving out of the way first...

Sad, that means no dress before January :(

I should stop looking at catalogues and pictures, I'll only get more excited.

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: May 29, 2010 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

I got my dress in September 2009 and will wear it in October 2010. :) Got it just 2 days after my guy proposed!

Nicnak Posts : 27 Registered: 12/26/09
Posted: May 30, 2010 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

I got engaged on christmas '09 went and picked out my dress in feb '10 and im not gettin married till 9/10/11! So yeah go do it!! I was going to just look and fell in LOVE with my dress and couldnt leave withoout ordering it! I'm so happy I have my dress now, its one less stressful thing to worry about.

Our beautiful daughter, Jaylynn!

wedding planning guide

Posted: May 30, 2010 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: Nicnak

Part of me wants to go get it now, part of me wants to wait, so for now I'm waiting. I bought a magazine today (the UK edition of Brides, actually), and it turns out there's a wedding fair in October, so I'll go to that and see what's on offer.

At least I think I've sort of narrowed down the kind of dress I want. That should help when the choosing comes :) Thank you all for your continuing replies!

springorchid Posts : 176 Registered: 4/8/07
Posted: May 30, 2010 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

You really should start looking 10-12 months before your wedding. This is so that you not only have time to consider what you like/don't like, but because manufacturing for specialty dresses can take a significant amount of time. Also, if you are buying a more complicated gown (lots of beading, seaming, etc.) it can take a considerable amount of time to do alterations. As for moving, I would suggest shopping in the country that you will wear the dress (since it sounds like you will be moving there). If you go to a good salon they should be able to work with you about the timing of your move/wedding so that the dress is properly stored yet still ready for the day of your wedding. As for size, don't forget that it can often take up to 15 lbs in weight change to shift in sizes (this is most true in larger sizes) and most every dress will need some alterations to fit perfectly.

Good luck!

crystalgirl Posts : 4 Registered: 5/28/10
Posted: May 31, 2010 10:30 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

Don't be sad, Mikaylak. Please simile and enjoy your big day. Everything will go well. Good luck!!!

Edited by: crystalgirl on May 31, 2010 10:31 PM

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

A-line Orange Sweetheart Open Back Mini Prom Dress With Sequins
Save up to 38% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $99.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-orange-sweetheart-open-back-mini-prom-dress-with-sequins-p-32107.html

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

Black Strapless Sweetheart Layered Drape Hi-low Prom Dress With Beads
Save up to 31% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $178.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/black-strapless-sweetheart-layered-drape-hilow-prom-dress-with-beads-p-32379.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine