Waxing Vs. Bleaching Upper Lip (or just not doing anything...)

Online Users: 1,273 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

amdjelly Posts : 48 Registered: 8/7/09
Waxing Vs. Bleaching Upper Lip (or just not doing anything...)
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 10:09 PM

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and was always on the pill to help with the symptoms (weight gain, acne, crazy insulin, crazy cycles, male pattern facial hair, etc), but about a year ago I had a huge blood clot in my abdomen. Now BC is way too risky for me. I'm able to control the weight thing fine because I have to watch what I eat anyway while on blood thinners (can't eat a freakin salad though...), and too much lazing around can create more clots. I'm pretty strict about taking care of my skin so the acne isn't a problem. But recently what used to be baby fine pale barely noticeble hair on my upper lip is now coming in a bit thicker and darker. The last few times I got my eyebrows waxed the lady asked me if I want to wax my upper lip as well because it's "dark". I don't want to wax it because then it really will come in dark and I'll have to continually wax it, which I don't want to do. I do have to look kinda closely in the mirror to see it, and I know that we all notice things a bit more in ourselves that no one else would ever really see. Does anyone know if bleaching would be a good alternative? Or should I just leave it alone? My wedding is in about 2 1/2 months and I want to try it once or twice before then to make sure my skin reacts ok to the bleach if that ends up being the option I go with, since I have fair sensitive skin.

Thanks for any advice or comments! If you know of other fairly inexpensive options, I would love to hear about them too!

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Re: Waxing Vs. Bleaching Upper Lip (or just not doing anything...)
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: amdjelly

Hi amdjelly!

Well you've got your options - you could leave it be if it doesnt actually bother you but girly if you keep sticking your face in every mirror you pass to "look" at your lip pretty soon you'll think its super obvious from a normal distance :) we are our own worst critic! But if thats something that bothers you then Id say waxing - you could TRY bleach since its not something as permanent as waxing but especially with you being a more sensitive skin type - just about everyone does get irritated by it - think about - chemicals on the skin? Also, theres a chance it could actually look a little "whiteish" afterwards which would b just as much of a problem as dark.

With waxing, a lot of times most of the smaller itty bitty hair follicles dont even come back in after the first one when you're working on an area like the face - and it doesnt necessarily come back in darker but when you've walked around for a couple weeks with nothing there, it will obviously feel like it looks a lot more obvious and darker. What some of my clients who get their lip done regularly do is just tweeze those couple hairs that just seem to stand out too much in between waxings so they feel comfortable but then get the rest waxed!

Wow how did this turn into a novel from such a simple question?? Sorry!! lol :)

FutureMrsKlein Posts : 164 Registered: 5/2/09
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: amdjelly

I never thought I needed to get mine waxed since it was so light. Just a few dark hairs. But i've had it done twice now and it makes a huge difference. And it isn't growing in darker. So I would say go for it.

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 3:32 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsKlein

Its actually a myth that waxing will make the hairs grow back draker or thicker. The myth came around because most hair will naturally thicken and darken over time (after puberty) and women would just automatically assume that it was due to shaving/waxing etc. Anything is going to feel thicker or darker after not having hair there for awhile! I would suggest waxing over bleaching that way you don't have to worry about the hair there at all...or if you could afford it you could always go for laser, luckily the upper lip area is a small area so it would be fairly inexpensive compared to other areas!

If you do get waxed, do it a week ahead of time :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

TheeBride Posts : 130 Registered: 1/17/10
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I agree, I'd just recommend waxing a week or so before the big day...in case you have a reaction to the wax or anything. For instance, one of my friends is usually red for a couple days.

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in
my heart. I am never without it, anywhere
I go you go, my dear..."

E.E. Cummings

Daisypath Wedding tickers

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: amdjelly

I started waxing my eyebrows when I was about 17. Around that time I also started getting my upper lip waxed.

I go about once a month and get them both done at the same time. I actually find the eyebrow waxing more painful than the upperlip waxing. The aesthetician at the spa I go to is always shocked because I don't as much as flinch. There isn't really bone there and the skin is loose so I don't find it painful at all.

I went away for a summer and was living in a remote area and didn't have any access to a place to wax it. I'm pretty sure nobody else noticed but I started internally freaking out because I was convinced I had a stache. Just me being my own worst critic.

I am 21 now and the hairs aren't any darker or thicker than they were 4 years ago when I started waxing it. It makes me feel so much better about my appearance when I get it done. It definitely eases my mind.

If you start noticing it and it starts bothering you--just get it waxed when you next get your brows done. If anything my hairs have started coming in lighter and finer.

I have never bleached though--so I can't do a comparison.

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Thanks ladies! I think I will try the waxing. I have a pretty high tolerance to pain so I'm really not worried about that. And I'll definitely make sure to do it at least a week before the wedding. Thanks again. :)

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Brighter - started at 17 and have been keeping up? Good for you - I have sooo many clients who have been regularly getting waxed (any kind of waxings really) and at this point theyre only in their late 20s and I seriously wax off like 3 little hairs when they come in (well ok 6 when its a brazilian lol) and theyr all set!! it keeps ME motivated haha.

OP, lip isnt comfortable to get waxed but really its like 2 strips, 3 at most, and you're done! just keep your lip taut, which your esthetician will make sure you do :)

twixy Posts : 3 Registered: 5/22/10
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

A little late to the topic, but have you heard of threading?

I've tried bleaching, waxing, tweezing and threading.
Threading removes the hair from the root and works the best of all the methods IMO.
I'd say it's the same amount of pain as waxing.
The beauty therapist has more control and accuracy, and it's quick and no more expensive than waxing.

communitynameis... Posts : 15 Registered: 5/13/10
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: twixy

I second the idea of threading! Waxing is pretty bad for your skin, as it pulls on all the area AROUND the hairs as well. Threading grabs only the follicle and pulls it out. I've been getting my eyebrows and mustache threaded for several years now; my skin is also very sensitive and I hate getting waxed because it makes my skin so irritated.

I would try it this month, before your June wedding, that way you have an alternative! I WILL say though, that threading is much harder to find in some areas of the country. I used to live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, where threading is pretty common. I just recently moved to the midwest, and live in a big city of over a million people, and have only found one salon that offers threading.

Posted: May 27, 2010 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

I've never heard of it, but I'll check around.

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 17, 2012 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: amdjelly

A-line Saphhire Floral One-shoulder Drape Side Slit Backless Floor-length Prom Dress
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Prom Dress,the price is just $149.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-saphhire-floral-oneshoulder-drape-side-slit-backless-floorlength-prom-dress-p-31718.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine