Newly engaged trainer here to answer your Qs!

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11

skye425 Posts : 10 Registered: 4/19/10
Newly engaged trainer here to answer your Qs!
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 10:45 AM

Hey ladies,

My name is Marie and I recently got engaged! I have been lurking around the forums for the past couple of weeks and there has been a lot of information that has really helped me. I'd like to try to give back by answering questions from my expertise: fitness and nutrition. I am a student and Level 2 Crossfit Trainer out of Crossfit on the Move in Atlanta, GA. If you haven't heard of Crossfit- you should try it! www.crossfit.com I could go on forever about how amazing it is and how it can change your life ect.

But I am not here to sell. I really wanted to take some time to answer some of your fitness/diet related questions with everyone upcoming big day! So please- pick my brain, ask me questions, while I go pick yours in other forums about planning a wedding.

----

Engaged 4/15/2010 

DeanaPearL Posts : 3 Registered: 5/4/10
Re: Newly engaged trainer here to answer your Qs!
Posted: May 4, 2010 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: skye425

Congrats Marie!!! I'd love it if I had a personal trainer!! I'll be sure to check out that website! I recently got engaged also, and in the past few years I've gained weight. now i'm losing it again by running, lifting weights and eating a HEALTHY 'diet' :) yay! i feel great... my question is........ right now i am 5'5" and i weigh 140 lbs. i use to weigh 130..... before college. i have alot of muscle biceps measure 10" and my hips are i think..... 36" my thighs are just big.. i lifted alot of weights in high school and college...... okay, anyway. my question is should i alter my 'diet' at all, eat less protein..? because I'm not trying to gain anymore muscle... i'd like to run some muscle off if that's possible... hopefully this makes sense.. plz help :)

Posted: May 4, 2010 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: DeanaPearL

Okay- question. What is your body fat percentage? It is very likely that you are 'thicker' than you would like to be not because of muscle but underlying fat. I would highly recommend that you get a measure of your body fat % before you decide to lose muscle. The most reliable way to do this is with hydrostatic body fat testing (look it up in your area, it usually runs around $30-40 dollars).

It is true that if you go and run for hours you will lose muscle (check out those marathoners!) but do you really want to look like that? Personally, if you have a healthy body fat percentage- as a woman- it is very difficult to change the amount of muscle (size wise) your body retains. It is highly based on your hormone balances (particularly the amount of testosterone in your system). Fighting against nature and genetics is very hard and it is usually an unhealthy process- like running for hours on end. I know it isn't something you would like to hear, but if it is truly just muscle I think you need to embrace your body type.

In conclusion, I would say get your body fat % and see if you have inches to lose through body fat loss. If you do, I can give you tips to rein in your diet more. But I do not recommend trying to lose muscle, it really tends to be a slippery slope. I know it isn't much, but I hoped I helped some.

----

Engaged 4/15/2010 

DeanaPearL Posts : 3 Registered: 5/4/10
Posted: May 27, 2010 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: skye425

Thank you for answering my question. You're probably right.. it's most likely both fat and muscle and I probably do need to embrace my body type more. I've recently lost 12 pounds (running, lifting and eating healthier) and I see a difference.

Another thing I'm wondering is...... when I'm lifting should I be lifting light weight alot of reps to tone and not build? hopefully im right on that.... body builders lift alot of weight maybe not as many reps, correct?

Any tips for the diet besides more fruits and veggies/less sugar?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deana

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
Posted: May 28, 2010 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: DeanaPearL

Hi :) Congratulations on your engagement! You must be so excited :D

I've just recently started a 'power walking' routine with my mum to actually get fit for my wedding (I have a year or so to go). Our plan is to do the power walk in the park (around 35 min a day for now, as we get used to it, slowly increasing the time), but I wonder if there's something you would recommend to add to it.

My mum isn't a great runner, and I, for health reasons, would hurt myself running (the impact would be terrible on my back bone). Now I don't need to lose a huge amount of weight, but I'd like to tone my legs and lose a bit of wobbly bits at the waist. What kind of food should go with this routine to make it more effective? Do you think it will work at all?

Thanks!

kellylaprete Posts : 1 Registered: 6/2/10
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: skye425

Hi, I've been trying to lose weight for a while but I'm having no success

It's mostly diet stuff, I hate exercise. So far I've cut out all the junk food I've been eating, substituting for the "low fat" versions. I also stopped drinking coke, drinking a lot more fruit juice now instead, much healthier. What else can I do? I really don't like to run, but maybe I could try going for walks?

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 4:35 PM Go to message in response to: DeanaPearL

Deana- the light load for lots of reps vs. heavy load for little reps is a myth. 'Toning' is also a myth. What most people perceive as 'toning' is fat loss. The reason that this has come about is that if you do a lot of reps of anything it will become 'cardio' (aerobic) and lead to fat loss. The reality is, no matter what amount of weight you lift you will NEVER look like a body builder. The female bodybuilders you see in magazines are on steroids and hormones in order to increase their muscle build. You do not have the level of testosterone to get 'bulky'- so don't be afraid of lifting weight. The most important thing is knowing how to lift weight properly, so you need to work with a KNOWLEDGEABLE trainer. If you do this, I highly recommend you lift weight. It will help you build muscle that will look good when you drop any extra fat covering it. In addition, life tends to just be easier when you are stronger.

----

Engaged 4/15/2010 

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: kellylaprete

Kelly- it is very possible to tackle extra weight with diet alone (it may take longer and you may not have the muscle you are looking for but you will lose the fat). Here are a few basics to start off with:

First off- DO NOT BE AFRAID OF FAT. In fact, you need fat. Lots of it. This is because fat has very little effect on hormone levels, particularly insulin which is the primary fat storage hormone. If you do not have enough fat in your diet you will end up eating more carbs, which spikes insulin levels and causes fat storage. In addition, spikes in insulin levels is what makes you sleepy and causes you to 'crash'. Carbs are also digested quickly and make you hungry faster. Leading you to eat more. The solution is to add fat to your diet, which takes longer to digest and will leave you fuller for longer. I recommend avocados above all. Also good is any type of UNSALTED nuts- particularly macadamias. Olive oil is great too. These are all examples of unsaturated fat- the type you should be eating. Stay away from saturated fat, that is the "bad kind".

Second- your substitution of fruit juice instead of coke does very little for you in terms of weight loss. It is true fruit juice is healthier in terms of the vitamins and minerals you are getting (assuming it isn't from concentrate, which is probably is). In reality, fruit juice usually has as much sugar if not more than coke does. Once again, this is a whole lot of carbs and empty calories in your diet.

Overall, cut the carbs (particularly empty sugars such as juice, candy and starches such as bread, pasta) and up the unsaturated fat. Make sure you are eating tons of good protein (meat, fish). I recommend you look up the Zone diet if you are further interested in learning the balance in your macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat).

----

Engaged 4/15/2010 

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

Mik- there are tons of thinks you can do with limited impact! For food advice, look at my post above for the basics. In terms of exercise-

1) throw in 10 squats and 10 push ups after each 2 minutes of walking. Do these as fast as you can and get back to walking! Make sure you do these with proper form.

proper squat form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdwETDQXCw

proper push up technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_zvnm8C04

2) After each 3 minutes of walking, hold a plank for 30s-1min. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2iRusnnc Choose the type that is challenging for you, and do it.

2) Mix it up often. You do NOT want to get stuck doing the same thing everyday. This is the most important thing. Keep your body guessing what you are going to do.

Mix up exercises such as squats, push ups, sit ups (NOT CRUNCHES). If you are part of an LA fitness or another large gym it is likely they have a Concept 2 Rower. Go row instead of run a few days (it is BRUTAL on the legs and no impact. very efficient). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88kUfmy-Apk

Don't be afraid of trying new exercises and new things, that is the most important part. Don't underestimate yourself and make it hard. Go hard, rest well.

----

Engaged 4/15/2010 

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 5:46 AM Go to message in response to: skye425

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: skye425

Sweetheart Neckline Strapless Cathedral Train Taffeta Wedding Dress Style Monalisa Royale
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: skye425

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1912 is just $329.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine