anyone know how to do a honeymoon registry?

Online Users: 1,260 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 46

ShanesGal333 Posts : 11 Registered: 3/3/10
anyone know how to do a honeymoon registry?
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 9:55 PM

Hey guys!
My fiance and I are moving to Ky this month, and we are getting married in a year. We are already going to be buying our new couch, table, plates etc and we dont really need too much from the registry. My mother brought up a good idea of having a honeymoon registry, and i was wondering if anyone knew how to start that up and how to address that in the invitations?
Thank you!

"Ever thine, Ever mine, Ever Ours"

wedding websites

Edited by: ShanesGal333 on Apr 11, 2010 9:56 PM

KathrynGetsHitc... Posts : 8 Registered: 1/30/08
Re: anyone know how to do a honeymoon registry?
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 5:12 AM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

We recently used Traveler's Joy and REI for our registries and our guests loved it! We ended up adding 6 days to our honeymoon because our friends and family gave such wonderful experiences and activities. From an etiquette standpoint we only listed our registries on our wedding website. We then printed the wedding website information on the information card in the invitation. This way our guests could easily find more information on the wedding and our registries when they visited our website. I think mentioning your registries directly on an invite or within the invite is tacky. Hope this helps!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

Dear SG,

Ignore the fake rave from the vendor obvioulsy plugging her own site.

Honeymoon registries are absolutely unnecessary, and in my opinion they are downright tacky. A honeymoon registry is a thinly disguised request for cash.

Think of it for a while. Anyone who wants to give you money to put towards your honeymoon can simply hand you an envelope with a check or cash inside, and a note on the outside that says "For Your Honeymoon". They don't have to sign up with a website, turn their credit card number over to some unknown party and pay a fee in order to give you money. They can, if they are so inclined, give you the money directly.

Think, further. What does it take to put a honeymoon registry on line? A web design, then they just take money from A, transfer it to B and take a cut out of each transation. If someone gives you $100, you see only $93 of it. The rest goes to the website owner.

If you believe you will have all you need by the time you get married, there's a simple solution. Don't register at all, nowhere. If anyone asks about your registry, just say "We like surprises.". That's it. End of story.

People will give you gifts, then you write sincere thank you notes. Many of those will be gifts of cash, in which case you write a sincere thank you note, then spend the cash however you like.

"and how to address that in the invitations"

The expectation of gifts is never mentioned in the invitation. No store cards, no URLs. Nothing. You do not treat your guests like human ATM cash dispensers.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

Dear Moron Sammi girl,

You have 4 posts on this site, all of which plug your own honeymoon registry. Do you not think we can spot a fake rave when we see one?

Go away.

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

you will be surprised on the things you find that you may want for setting up your home that you could put on your registry as you get closer to your wedding.

I know a lot of people do give cash at weddings and that may be your best bet. If you do not do a regular registry... just let your mom know that if people asks, this is something you would like? I am not 100% sure but I def wouldn't put something on the invites saying you want cash only for gifts.

I used myregistry.com and used their add to myregistry.com button to add
gift certificates for the hotel we are staying at for our detination
wedding to my registry with them. It lets people know that if someone
wants to give us something for our honeymoon that the money will be used
during our trip and only our trip. This gives people the option of
giving us something like this on top of other things. Just like when you
register with target and other places have the option for gift
certificates. But I like them for this... you can use it to add things
that you want for activities as well and if someone wants to buy us
snorkling time, they can buy that specifically without worrying about
some site taking a portion of the money. But they also have the ability to set up an area for people to send you cash thru paypal... you just have to have an account thru paypal. I do not think they take a portion because it just kicks you to the paypal website. Just like when you buy something on your registry there thru target or williams-sonoma.

BTW, I found out about
myregistry.com thru here when I was setting up my wedsite, I am not
trying to sell anyone on my personal site... I am a full-time student
just passing on what I found.

Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Edited by: alymar on Apr 13, 2010 8:44 PM

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

Ha, don't worry alymar.

I'm pretty sure you have posted enough here for people to realize that you are not a vendor.

ShanesGal333 Posts : 11 Registered: 3/3/10
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Ok, so I am not supposed to put any kind of registry on the invitation? I thought that was what you did so people knew where to go. I am in no way trying to tell people to give me money, I just thought thats where you put where youre registered at. How are they supposed to know where youre registered at? We already sent out save the dates a little while back. Early I know but I have family across the country that needs lots of time to save money to come to the wedding.

I am going to do a honeymoon registry, i just wanted some help with which one to pick and how to let people know about it.

"Ever thine, Ever mine, Ever Ours"

wedding websites

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 11:12 PM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

Generally people just ask where you are registered. They ask you or someone in your wedding party or family. I am going to a wedding this weekend and just had my FH ask the groom so I could go pick up the gifts.

You can also build and put it on your wedsite if you make one. There is a page on there set up already I know on the ones thru here and you can put your wedsite address on the invite because it will have all the basics on there about the wedding and updates on plans, etc. For me this was the best way, my mom used it for my bridal shower this past weekend and no one had a problem finding the registeries.

Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Edited by: alymar on Apr 13, 2010 11:12 PM

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

Dear SG,

" How are they supposed to know where youre registered at? "

They ask, if they want to know. If they have some other present in mind, they don't bother asking. There's no reason for you to proactively put your registry in the face.

I got married in 1976. In those bygone days, there were just a few means of communication: phone, postal mail and face-to-face. Today there are many more ways to get in touch with someone: email, IM, chat, Facebook, cell phones, voice mail, etc., besides good old phone, postal mail and face-to-face.

We managed to get presents off our registry without advertising that registry in the invitation. You can, too.

You do need to be aware that some people (including myself) find a honeymoon registry to be distasteful. Thus, you might have fewer guests participating in the registry than those with store registries.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

I'm a big fan of putting registry info on a wedding website, as mentioned above. Then, include the wedding website on your invitation. Your wedding website should have lots of info besides the registry info, like directions, hotel recommendations, stuff to do in the area.

Otherwise, I would forgo registry info on the invitations (some people don't like to be reminded that they are obligated to buy a gift) and just let it travel by work-of-mouth.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

mariewedding Posts : 13 Registered: 5/11/10
Posted: May 11, 2010 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I'm new here, but I mostly agree with the posts - I plan to do a free honeymoon registry (one where people just print out certificates and give it to you with their check or cash) but I also plan to do a traditional registry along with that, and include both of them on my wedding website. I've had some friends who did that and it worked well - if people were put off by the honeymoon registry, well, then they just get you something off of your regular registry. My fiance and I plan to move fairly soon after we get married (a year or two) so we don't want a lot of things to travel with - but we do plan to register for things like nice new bedding, pillows, some basics...

I think giving people options is always a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: May 24, 2010 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

My fience and i are hoping to go on a carnival cruise for our honeymoon and luckily last night i discovered they have a registry! it's great for the cruise becuase we were just planning on doing it on the cheap (basic cabin, few drinks, minimal shopping) but now we were able to register for a few extras. if our guest decide to get them for us, awesome! if not, we'll stick with our original plan. I don't think it's any worse than any other registry and i'm already finding people are bugging me for registry info. i set up our wedding as an even on facebook and we have a website. those have both been great places to pass on the info.

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: May 25, 2010 8:25 AM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

I am going to agree with the others who commented that, in 2010, there is really nothing wrong with a honeymoon registry. I can't remember who said it, but I agree with the line of thinking that no matter what kind of registry you have, you can (almost) always return the gift for cash. So whether it's bath towels you take back to the store, or a honeymoon registry that gives you cash despite the fact that your guest "bought" you a massage... the end result is the same.

However, I wouldn't advertise that you don't plan on using the money for what the guest intended it for. If someone bought you a couples massage, I would thank them for exactly that.

Lastly, do not put the registry info on the invitiation, no matter what. Registry info is spread by word of mouth and such.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

Moxiebaby Posts : 24 Registered: 6/18/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: ShanesGal333

I'm using a honeymoon registry for our upcoming wedding.

A huge advantage of a honeyfund is that you can combine multiple vendors on the same site. Our honeyfund includes honeymoon items, as well as items from JC Penney, Home Depot, Gothic Cabinet + Craft, Target. It would be really rude to have 5 or 6 different registries, but on a honeyfund it's just one. And you can link to the actual item you want from each store so the guest still has the satisfaction of seeing the item. In our case, as each item is sponsored it is being purchased.

Another huge advantage is no big ticket items. If you register for a bedding set on a department store registry, you're registering for a single that could potentially cost $500 or even more! And honeyfunds are nervy?! With a honeyfund, you can take that same bedding set, and break it into $50 increments or less, and get the funds for it that way. These are more comfortable numbers for people.

To rebut some of the negative comments :

1. The guests give you $$ and you can use it on rent instead of what they think they bought. Answer: Yes, you could. Or you could respect that guest's wishes and spend the money as intended. If it turns out you need rent $$ that badly you should register for rent $$. You friends and family don't want to see you homeless, right? There's a house icon and everything. Some people register for mortgages. In a time when people are foreclosing left and right, why is it so outrageous for young newlyweds to ask for new home expenses as a gift?

2. "It's tacky." For all of you who said it's tacky, I gather you had your guests make charitable donations in your name for your wedding instead of accepting gifts. I think that's awesome - more power to you. In fact that is a very easy thing to arrange, and very generous indeed. I strongly agree with the poster who stated a store registry is as much a grab for cash as a honeyfund is.

We did not put our honeyfund info on our invitations. It is on our wedding website. However, the invitations do include our wedding website url as that site includes maps and directions to venu as well as hotel info for out of towners.

Anyway, I'm loving my honeyfund. I got the idea from another couple who's wedding I attended who honeymooned in Australia. And I'm a huge fan. Btw, no matter where or what you register for, you will still get some creative gifts you had not considered.

Edited by: Moxiebaby on Jun 11, 2010 1:20 PM

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: Moxiebaby

Dear Moxie,

"I'm using a honeymoon registry for our upcoming wedding. "

As you yourself said in another message, you have no sense of etiquette.

Registering for money is a greed fest.You can doll it up anyway you like, but registring for money is greedy. Why not just sell tickets to the event?

If I was invited to a wedding and if the couple indicated any kind of money registry, I would absoultely ignore the money registry and get them something tangible. I would not say anything about being offended at being treated like a human ATM, but I would have a lowered private opinion of the couple's ethics. If I felt the couple would be less than delighted with an alternative present, then I might just skip the whole thing and send a congratulatory card with my regrets at being unable to attend.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine