Engagement party etiquette

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

Basticatra Posts : 3 Registered: 4/7/10
Engagement party etiquette
Posted: May 15, 2010 8:36 AM

Hi there! I haven't set a date for my wedding since my fiance is in the military, but we figure at least a year before we tie the knot. I was wanting to throw a little 'engagement' and 'welcome home' type party when we get back in the vicinity of our homes, in june. However, we don't have a ton of money and wanted to keep the guest list tiny. We both have huge families. Would it be poor etiquette to only invite the first cousins we are closest to, and not all the cousins? I'd love for a few of my cousins to be there and he plans on having one of his cousins as his best man, but we didn't want to invite ALL the first cousins, aunts and uncles, as that would balloon our guest list to 70+. Thanks so much!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Engagement party etiquette
Posted: May 15, 2010 9:36 AM Go to message in response to: Basticatra

Dear Basta,

"Would it be poor etiquette to only invite the first cousins we are closest to, and not all the cousins?"

Not poor etiquette at all. In a large family, there are bound to be cousins you know very well and other cousins you rarely see. Ask yourself which of your cousins have, in the past, invited you to their events. That might help finesses your list.

I think a Welcome Home and Engagement party sounds like a great idea!

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Re: Engagement party etiquette
Posted: May 15, 2010 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

As the first cousin of people I THOUGHT I was close with, but did NOT get invites to their weddings---I'd think twice before doing it! My cousin's 6 days older than me, we grew up together, his Mom was a second mom to me since she babysat us all summer. I did NOT get an invitation to his wedding 6 years ago and honestly, it STILL hurts! Claims he must have had the wrong address but his younger brother sent his invites out 3 weeks after him and I got that invite--and I KNOW my Aunt gave them both the same address!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine