throwing rice.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
throwing rice.
Posted: May 13, 2010 11:13 PM

First of all before I get any replies that say that one shouldn't throw rice at weddings because it kills birds, that is a myth, don't buy into it.

Now, onto my question. I am going with the more traditional send of throwing rice but I dont know how I should package it. I don't want to do the little tulle bags. Right now I was thinking about having several bowls full of rice mixed with small flowers (to add color) and people can just grab a handful before we leave and throw it. Is that weird or crazy? Also, have you seen or do you know any cute and easy ways to package rice?

Thanks in advance.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: throwing rice.
Posted: May 14, 2010 12:47 AM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

good luck with that... a lot of venues won't allow you to throw anything at all... not bird seed, not rose petals, and certainly not rice.

Why? because it is messy and 99% of us won't clean it up.

This is the real reason that a lot of people use sparklers or bubbles or horns -- venue requirements. Bird seed at least will be eaten.

now: to answer your question.

I had a friend (who used bird seed) who created cloth roses. They were stems with basically an open ended bag on the top. The bird seed was put into the bags, which were then tucked, and looked like roses. The guests then flicked the stems towards them, and the seed was released.

Misty

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 14, 2010 4:38 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

It just so happens that my venue is owned by family and I can do whatever I want to. Secondly, birds and other animals will eat the rice, they like it and it does not harm them.

On another note, thanks for the idea. Its cute.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: May 14, 2010 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

Then you're good!

Misty

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 17, 2010 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

That was very restrained. :)

I'm off to work in the yard, I own the house so can do whatever I want.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine