Day of Timeline (can't find earlier thread)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Day of Timeline (can't find earlier thread)
Posted: May 11, 2010 1:54 PM

I know for a fact that this has been brought up before but this website and I just don't seem to go well together. I tried searching and it gave me everything but what I wanted.

So here it is, I am putting the finishing touches on my timeline. Granted, I have come to realize that this timeline I am spending way to much time on will only be a general guideline the day of, I just want some sort of plan in place.

I can't seem to get the flow right. The ceremony is done but the reception is being a pickle. Do we dance, toast, then eat? Or eat, toast dance? I'm just confused. Here is the order I have for the main parts of the reception and please feel free to critique!

Hors d'oeuvres served
DJ announces entrance of wedding party
First dance
Guests are seated and buffet is opened
Toasts are given
Traditional Dances (father-daughter, mother-son)
Open Dance floor for all guests
Cake-cutting ceremony

Thanks and sorry for the length!

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Day of Timeline (can't find earlier thread)
Posted: May 11, 2010 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I think your timeline sounds fine, if that's the order in which you want to do things. I like that you're breaking up the 'special moments' and that you don't have too many of them planned. It can get boring to sit through a bunch of special dances or toasts all in a row. Conversely, it can get annoying if the party keeps getting stopped for various special moments or ceremonies, so it's good to do a couple together and keep them brief.

The only thing I'd think about changing is maybe the dances. Traditionally, the bride and groom dance first, and that opens up the dance floor to everybody else. In your timeline, you are still dancing first, but you're not opening the dance floor up immediately. Later on, after dinner, you will open up the dance floor by dancing with your parents, not with one another. If that's Ok with you, go for it. If you don't like it, then move your first dance to that point, move the parent dances earlier to just after your first dance, or do the parent dances at a later point. I've actually seen that at a few recent weddings: after a few songs for everybody, they clear the dance floor and do the parent dances. Or they announce that they're dancing with their parents and ask everybody to stay on the dance floor. That's a nice option, especially if you or your parents don't like the spotlight.

Personally, I like it when the couple is announced and immediately starts the first dance. I think it's a nice entrance and it gets one of the formalities out of the way early in the evening. That's what we did - but we wanted the formalities over early so that we could socialize with our guests without having to worry about sticking to a schedule.

This was our timeline:

-Cocktail hour
-Our introduction (we didn't do an introduction of each member of the WP or our parents)
-First dance
-Parent dance (we did a combined father/daugher and mother/son dance to cut down on the number of special dances)
-Salads served
-Toasts
-Dinner served
-First song was an Anniversary Dance (every married couple is asked to dance, with the DJ first asking those married less than 5 years to leave the dance floor, then 10 years, etc until there is only one couple left.)
-More dancing for about an hour
-Cake cutting
-I gave a little speech, as I wanted to send my bouquet home to my grandmother, who was in assisted living.
-More dancing

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: May 11, 2010 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

You could also consider moving around the cake cutting. I realize many people like to leave this later since it's "dessert", but my mom and dad had to cut their cake right away because it was falling over (oops!). My mom says a lot of people liked the fact that they got it out of the way instead of getting everyone up dancing, then having to stop for the cake. Then trying to get everyone dancing again.

I'm sure a lot of people think cake earlier is weird, but just a thought I figured I share. There's no set timeline you have to do everything. Think about what you want, and what makes sense for you. Then go with it. Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: May 11, 2010 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: KCI

Hello,

Funny you should ask about this. I recently posted two blog entries on my blog on this very subject. The first covers the weding day until the reception and the second discusses the reception itself. They can be read at http://blog.mmpix.com/

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: May 11, 2010 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Thank you all.

Art- I thought about that and I'm completely fine with not being the last one on the dance floor before my guests.

I made a moc timeline. Do you all think this works? My ceremony is at 6 and it is a buffet reception.

6:45 PMHors d'oeuvres served7:31 PMDJ announces entrance of wedding party7:32 PMFirst dance7:45 PMGuests are seated and buffet is opened8:30 PMToasts are given8:45 PMTraditional Dances (father-daughter, mother-son)9:00 PMOpen Dance floor for all guests9:30 PMCake-cutting ceremony10:00 PMBride tosses bouquet to single women10:05 PMGroom removes garter from bride's leg10:30 PMDistribute bubbles to toss over couple10:45 PMBride and Groom make grand exit
Does this seem to long? I would just hate if guests went hungry or got bored.

Again, thank you all for your responses.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

JaredRey Posts : 7 Registered: 4/13/10
Posted: May 12, 2010 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

This timeline looks good to me!

---------

Married my beautiful wife on 7/7/07 @ 7 p.m.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine