Education Registry?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Education Registry?
Posted: May 5, 2010 2:58 PM

Has anyone registered (or known someone who has) with educationregistry.com? Or another site that asks for contributions to the couples' student loans?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Education Registry?
Posted: May 5, 2010 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Dear Elle,

Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

Why not just send an invoice to the guests?

"In honor of me, your share of my student loans is $200. Once I get the cash from you, I'll send you a ticket (admit one) to my wedding reception. $400 will get you two tickets."

If you really want cash for a wedding present, do like everyone else does. Don't register anywhere. If anyone asks you where are you registered, just reply "Nowhere. We like surprises.".

People will get the idea that you want cash, and you don't have to shake them down to get it.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 5, 2010 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Are you serious? People are really out of control!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

Posted: May 5, 2010 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Dear Diva,

Yeah, right, brought to you by the same bottom-feeders who tell you to register for your mortgage payment and your electic bill.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: May 5, 2010 5:12 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Ellejay,

I've seen those registries, and when I was planning my wedding, boy, was I tempted. My husband and I have six-figure student debt. The chances are pretty strong that we'll be sending our own kids off to college before we've finished paying for our own education.

So, believe me, I was really tempted. And if I saw someone who actually did that, I would totally understand where they were coming from. But I'd never actually do it.

It's kind of weird to ask wedding guests to pay for something that you've already done. It's kinda like asking them to pay for your wedding itself. It was my choice to get an education -- I shouldn't ask others to pay for it.

So that's primarily why I wouldn't do it, and would think it was odd if someone did. Just let your close friends and family know, through word-of-mouth, that the gift that would be most useful is cash, and that's what you'll probably get.

But, to directly answer your question, no I haven't done it, and no, I don't know anyone who has.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: May 5, 2010 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Ladies,

It just clicked.

She's having a destination wedding in Athens, Greece, AND wants the wedding guests to pay her school loans, as well as pay for a trip to Europe.

axokay Posts : 6 Registered: 4/16/10
Posted: May 5, 2010 8:24 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

DON'T DO IT!
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of registries that ask guests for money-- honeymoon registries included. If a guest does decide to give you a cash/check gift, you can choose to apply that towards your loans, if you wish.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

I'm with MrsD on how tempting this sounds!!! Mine and FH's student loans started a few months back and oh how I would love if someone would pay them off for me, but this is NOT something you register for. What's next, credit car payoff registries, car note registries, mortgage registries? Hmmm..well if people are gonna pay off my debt I guess I'll do the mortgage registry, that's a tad bit higher than our student loans!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 6, 2010 8:08 AM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

You're kidding me.

Nope, I've never heard of this. And yes, I would have been tempted to do it if I had, as we have much more student loan debt than most people who believe they have a lot of student loan debt. (I recently laughed when one of my interns was complaining about the amount of money she's borrowing to go to school. When she told me the number, it was less than the loan that I consider to be my 'cheap student loan'!)

But no, I would never do it, and I'd think it was pretty tacky if someone I know did it. I would understand their reasoning, but I'd still think it's tacky. As MsD said, it was our decision to get a good education, and the debt that we assumed to do it is our responsibility, not anyone else's.

If you want cash for your wedding, the only polite way to direct gift-giving in that direction is to not register at all. Most people will take that to mean that you want cash. Let a few close family members or friends know that you're not registered and that you could use cash - that way, if anybody asks them, they can say, 'Actually, they haven't registered anywhere and don't really need household goods, but I know they could use cash more than anything else.' You will still probably get a few non-cash gifts, but hopefully they will be fun surprises.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 6, 2010 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

AOTB I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around my wedding guests paying towards my student loans! That is a bit much!

Even though I am knee deep in student loan debt and it sounds tempting, but no I'll stick to china and tupperware for a registry! LOL

I wonder what kind of registries will be available for my 10 month old daughter when she is ready to get married? Any ideas

Lilypie - (8e8A)

Jnikki Posts : 42 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I am pretty relaxed when it comes to wedding "etiquette" I feel like brides and grooms should do what they want, and the guests should enjoy it, not come, or leave if they don't like it. BUT THIS IS PRETTY TACKY!! That is taking it too far. Just don't register at all, take the cash, and put it on your student loans. OP never said she was considering doing it, she just asked if anyone has heard of it so I don't know if you were thinking abot it OP, but I think this is pretty tacky, so even I wouldn't do it.

"So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate" Matthew 19:6   Jamie and Bryan 5-22-10

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

No, I haven't heard of this. Honestly, I find it a little ridiculous that you can register for this now too. I wouldn't do it - and if I received I wouldn't give to one either.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: May 8, 2010 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

According to the website, you can also register to put money toward future children's educations. Hmmmph. Still with the PP's on this one. Flat out tacky, though I can understand why it would appeal to some people.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: May 8, 2010 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Dear Van,

"Flat out tacky, though I can understand why it would appeal to some people."

Greed is universal.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine