As a guest, which favor would you prefer?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

Orbital199 Posts : 92 Registered: 10/12/09
As a guest, which favor would you prefer?
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 3:53 PM

I like both of these favors, but wonder what our guests would prefer. Neither one of them are exactly practical, but the symbol of strength and good fortune with the elephant and the fun playful nature of the pinwheels really caught my attention. If you were attending a wedding, what favor would you prefer?

http://www.beau-coup.com/wood-elephant-favors.htm

http://www.etsy.com/listing/21905580/custom-pinwheels-wedding-favors

Thanks.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: As a guest, which favor would you prefer?
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

The elephants. I have a soft spot for elephant figurines. I'd actually keep this and put it somewhere in my office or home.

The pinwheels I'd keep around for awhile sentimentally for 1-2 weeks, and then I'd toss it out.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

VänTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Definitely the elephants.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Honestly, neither. I have more than enough "stuff" to clutter up my home, and neither of these is something I'd want to keep. I always recommend not spending money on favors, but if you insist, I recommend something edible. The last one that I got was a yummy cupcake made by the wedding cake baker--of course, I chose chocolate from the selection available.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 11:31 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

ELEPHANT!! but I must warn you I'm midely obsessed with elephants. hah

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:16 AM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

Wow, Interesting. I would have thought that the pinwheels would have received the most votes. I don't have a very large budget for the wedding so favors are still up in the air, but I would like to provide them if I can afford it. I think the elephants might work well with our venue too, as it will be at the local zoo :)

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Oh, then definitely the elephant! If possible, you might want to also include a note about their being for good fortune. And with something like this, you can get away with giving one per couple rather than one for each guest.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Ahh, man! I saw the title of this and thought it said 'flavor' at first glance, so I thought we'd be talking about cakes! ;)

Honestly, as a guest, I prefer not to receive favors. Aside from edible ones, which I eat at the reception or the next day at the latest, I never know what to do with them. I feel bad throwing them away because they came from someone's wedding, but I don't have much use for little trinkets. They end up cluttering up my home or drawer space because I feel bad throwing them away. Eventually, they get crushed in a drawer and I toss them - or I forget whose wedding they came from, so I don't feel bad getting rid of them. The only non-edible wedding favor I've ever actually used was a handblown wine stopper, because it was cool AND useful. I probably wouldn't use, say, a plastic calla lilly wine stopper. If I couldn't conveniently manage to leave it on the table, that one would probably find the trash pretty quickly.

Out of the two you've picked (if you MUST do favors), I'd prefer the elephant. That one would merit space in a drawer for a while, and might eventually end up a a future child's toybox, depending on how small it is. As for the pinwheel, I'd probably leave it on the table. If I couldn't get away with leaving it, I'd throw it away when I got back to the hotel. Sorry, but that one wouldn't even make it home with me. Aside from the useless factor, how would people pack it to take home? The elephant, at least, can go into a pocket on my luggage without getting squished.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I must admit, I've never saved any trinket favors from weddings I've attended, so I guess I can't expect my guests to be any different. I really do love the elephants because of what they represent and because I love wooden toys, but as these are for my guests and not for me maybe they wouldn't be as appreciative of them. I like the idea of edible favors but I don't want to go with sweets on top of serving the guests cake. Premium teas are something that are also near and dear to my heart so maybe I could offer that instead. Below is one of the only tea favors I have found so far. I like the elephant much more, but i suppose this would be more practical if I do offer small gifts.

http://www.beau-coup.com/tea_sachets.htm

-Melanie

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I vote for the tea bags. If you have a small budget and don't want to spend a lot, find a tea you really like and make little boxes or bags with it inside. You still have favors that mean a lot and it should cut down in costs. But weigh your options, sometimes being cheaper isn't worth your sanity.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

Another reason I want to provide favors is because I want to use them to dress up each place setting. I think the elephant would look great in the middle of a white plate with a little info card but the tea satchets would work nicely too.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I also think you should go with edible favors. I never know what to do with a couples wedding favor that's not edible, I keep it for a little while, then throw it out. I made little boxes from Michaels and put lindt truffles in them for our wedding. It was great because anyone who left theirs, we got to eat :) What would you do with 10 wooden elephants or pinwheels if they got left?

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: May 11, 2010 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Just as a side note, the elephants are not concidered lucky unless their trunk is pointing up. If it's pointing down, the luck runs out. Kind of like a horse shoe.

turtle2 Posts : 56 Registered: 11/3/09
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

depends on the overall mood of the wedding. If it is formal or serious, the elephant would make more sense. Although it would work at a more laid back wedding also. The pin wheels are fun and if I decided to get rid of them in the future, I wouldn't feel as bad

IDzine01 Posts : 26 Registered: 2/27/09
Posted: May 12, 2010 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

I don't really keep wedding favors either but I would keep the elephant, probably on my desk at work. It is elegant enough to keep around. The teas are a great idea too.
“Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.” -Sex and the City

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine