*bump**bump*

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: TIPS FOR THE NEWBIES - Very long
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

bump

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Someone mentioned abbreviations earlier in this thread. I've caught almost all of them now, but what does IH mean, in terms of your husband? I've seen it posted a few times here, and I feel like a total dip not catching what it means. It's probably something obnoxiously obvious that I hadn't thought of. *:P

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Honestly, it's probably idiot husband depending on the context.

The other newbie thread I bumped has a lot of abbreviations in it - but I haven't seen that one used a lot.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

IH -- Intelligent Husband

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

LOL @ Howard - Thank You. You are probably right, but it's all in the context - like EH (i.e. excellent vs. ex-).

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 2:19 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

but it's all in the context

Context is in the mind's eye. IMHO I'm an Intelligent Husband.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

bump bump

communitynameis... Posts : 15 Registered: 5/13/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'm not trying to be rude, or attack "oldies but goodies" but the reason no new people like myself are responding is because it was worded pretty aggressively and seems to take an attitude that new people are just stupid and are wasting your time...

I came here for advice, like lots of other new brides. We just aren't responding to this thread because it had a negative tone, and when all the other more experienced posters responded with a "YEAH, and THIS bothers me too" it just made it more negative.

Hopefully no one will jump down my throat for expressing my opinion, I'm just saying why nobody truly new is responding with a heartfelt "thanks for all the advice," is because it wasn't very welcoming for brides, like myself, who might truly want advice on a hairy issue.

communitynameis... Posts : 15 Registered: 5/13/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

and please note I said "seems" not "says" that new people are stupid....Just responding with the general impression I received.

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 6:05 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Here's a question from a "newbie." At what point does one no longer quaify for "newbie" status? :D

I did read your tips though, and thought they were quite good, as well as all the other advice given. Any time one joins a new message board it takes a while to figure out the rules, so to speak. And Kelly's sample post was hilarious.

Moderator Posts : 211 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

Hey there,

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that new people are stupid. It's just that forum regulars see the same issues time and time again and are trying to make it easier for new folks to assimilate.

-Allison, Moderator

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: communitynameis...

There have been a slew of newbies signing on - a number asking the same exact questions.

That's why I bumped it up. It always gets buried and then the same questions get asked over and over again.

You don't like it - that's your perogative. There is good information in here that is meant as a support as the Moderator indicated. (Thanks for that Allison.)

As with everything on the site, you take what you want out of it or you ignore it.

Elle - As for when is someone no longer a newbie, it's hard to say. LOL Sometimes I think it's more a state of mind than anything. Like I don't consider Van a newbie anymore, but she hasn't been on here that long. It's all in the perspective.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Currently wiggling a little happy dance under my laptop here, Pharm! *;)

Thanks for the "non-newbie" confirmation!

I would just like to add that I lurked through these threads for many hours before posting the first time, so I was already aware that certain topics were powder kegs, while others weren't. I made use of that really helpful Search Bar up there under the advertising banner (and the Search Forums bar) by looking for topics that were relevant to my question before posting. And I didn't get offended when someone thought an idea of mine sucked, or immediately jump on the defensive when someone disagreed with me. It's all a matter of maturity, getting to know the boards, and treating everyone with the amount of respect you want to be regarded with.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Wow Van, I didn't realize you have over 300 posts - you definitely aren't a newbie anymore. LOL

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine