Bridesmaid Dresses/Planning Colors

Online Users: 1,304 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 4

June2011Bride Posts : 3 Registered: 10/22/09
Bridesmaid Dresses/Planning Colors
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 9:27 AM

I was wondering what everyone did when shopping for your Bridesmaid dresses. I am currently doing this, but I have not chosen my color scheme for my wedding yet. I was going to work it around whatever color ended up being chosen for my Bridesmaid dresses, and going on from there so that everything with coordinate.
Also, I felt bad making all 7 of my girls come shopping in case we didnt find something I didnt want to waste everyones time. There is a dress I am in love with that 3 of my girls tried on at seperate times that they came with me and I was thinking, now that I selected it do I have them all come to see it and get fitted etc... or email them a picture and explain whats happening. I'm just a little confused.

Thanks.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Re: Bridesmaid Dresses/Planning Colors
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: June2011Bride

All of my BMs lived in different states, so unfortunately shopping together was not an option. My MOH came up and we picked the dress together. I chose the color and told the store how many BM's I had and their names. Then I emailed the girls with a picture of the dress and the phone number of the store. They called, gave their measurements and the store ordered and sent them out. Since they all lived far away, they got them fitted on their own.

That's what we did for all of each other's weddings and it worked out fine.

Enjoy and good luck!

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: June2011Bride

There are many ways to go about selecting the dresses and color(s). One is to choose a a dress and have the ladies send measurements, as the PP did. Another is to choose a major manufacturer who is available nationwide, choose a color (or color palette) and fabric, length, and other parameters (e.g. no strapless, or must be tea length, or no sparkles--whatever you wish), then let the girls choose their own best style. Another way is to set a color scheme, send out fabric samples (or paint chips) in acceptable colors and let the ladies choose their own dresses. Many brides do this, especially with black, since there is so much availability and so little worry about matching. The bottom line is that dresses do not all have to be the same, but a coordinated look is nice. I can send you many pictures of ladies in varied dresses--just contact me through my website and I'll send some right out to you.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

June2011Bride Posts : 3 Registered: 10/22/09
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Elbelle77

Thanks so much, I think I have been just overthinking it :) Thanks for your kind answers.

2bmel2010 Posts : 26 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: June2011Bride

I had a hard time with this as well. It ultimately came down to this: I was visiting my parents house (1 hour from me) and I found a full-length dress I liked. It's similar to my dress and isn't fussy. My 2 younger sisters are my BMs so of course I needed to make sure my mom liked it as well, she did. The 3 of us met & they tried it on. In the end we went with a completely different designer, lol. As for my MOH, she lives 2.5 hrs away so it's more difficult. Because the stores by her will charge more she is getting measured, sending her measurements to the store by me & will order it through there. All without trying on the dress.

With that said, for the colors: I knew I wanted a purple (my favorite color) and the purple the dress came in was eggplant. To distinguish my MOH I went with the next purple lighter which was magenta. Then to shake things up a bit I decided on lime green (contrasting color).

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine