Favorite Beauty Products!!

Online Users: 1,240 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 15

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Favorite Beauty Products!!
Posted: Apr 20, 2010 1:24 AM

I am a total and complete product junkie as well as a makeup artist (BAD combination lol) so I like to try just about anything that I hear good reviews on - from the cheap stuff to the more expensive! So I would love to hear what your favorite "go-to" things are! - Mainly makeup but really, anything goes :) - I need some new things to try!!

amdjelly Posts : 48 Registered: 8/7/09
Re: Favorite Beauty Products!!
Posted: Apr 20, 2010 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I LOVE Burts Bees chapstick. My lips get so dry, and it's the only thing I've found that really works for me. Also, my favorite lipstick of all time is Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. It looks really dark in the tube, but when you put it on, it goes on really sheer. Clinique came out with a new mascara that I'm liking so far too... High Lengths. If I think of anymore I'll come back lol!

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 20, 2010 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I was a big fan of the Pro-Activ skin care line, though it seems to be really hit or miss with some people, from what I've heard.

I don't wear makeup often, but when I do, I use Smashbox eye shadows. They sell some really great, dramatic colors. For foundations and lipsticks, I stuck with Mary Kay cosmetics. I can't remember serial numbers and names at the moment, but I bet you I could pick them out of a display case! Haha.

Bed Head products from Tigi have been my life saver when it comes to styling my huge head of hair (my hair is down to my waist!), and of course, good old Aquanet never fails.

Perfumes are my guilty pleasure. Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is my current favorite scent. Very dark, won't overwhelm your nostrils, but still a bit feminine. Reminds me of something a Film Noir heroine would wear. I also like J. Lo's Glow (it's inexpensive, in comparison to most) for a quick spritz to freshen yourself up. My mother used to wear this perfume that was enchanting to me, as a child. The bottle simply said "Skin Musk", and I'm fairly positive you can still find it at local pharmacies. But that scent has stuck with me my entire life - it's the epitomy of femininity, in my opinion.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I'm a big fan of Benefit makeup, I LOVE their rose lip balm. Also, I put their eye makeup base on before I put anything on my eyes and I could sweat, cry, wash my face, and sleep and my eyeshadow will stay on. Their mascara is the best too, I won't use anything else. It's called BADgal Lash.

It's funny because I really love the clinique sheer lipstick in Black Honey too! I have like 4 tubes of it because I'm always afraid Clinique will discontinue the color.

I use Body Shop stuff for skin care, their Tea Tree line has been the only thing that works for me. I also really like their makeup, the eyshadows come in really pretty colors and blend well. I'm pretty clumsy and give my possessions quite a beating, anything in a compact that doesn't crumble and crack when you drop it on the bathroom floor is a favorite for me... all of my eyeshadows from the Body Shop are somehow still intact.

Nars blush in "Orgasm," I don't usually put much on my face other than tinted moisturizer (Neutrogena) but when I feel like doing more I put on a little blush. No matter what I do, I never look too blushed when I put it on (I have fair skin so it's easy to mess up with bronzer and blush, a lot of them are WAY too dark on me and make me look like my face look dirty or overly made up).

I wear Juicy Couture perfume most of the time, I also have Chanel No.5 and Chance when I want to switch it up. During the summer I wear Calgon Hawaiian Ginger body spray (they may not make it anymore, I stockpiled a few years ago), because it's really light and summery smelling :).

I have a lot of makeup at home, because I love to buy it, but I don't wear very much most days. I generally like things that are foolproof- I don't have too much patience when I get ready, so if I slap something on and it looks good, that's the product for me. Anything that requires too much time or attention I never use more than once.

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: SMGray

No way, Hawaiian Ginger was the first body spray I was allowed to use! I think I was like 12 or 13 at the time, and just beginning my crazy passion for perfume, and had found it in the cosmetic aisle at WalMart. I begged my mom for about a half hour to let me get it, and finally, she agreed. I loved that stuff! I'm fairly positive they still make it, as my little sister still uses it.

Crazy coincidences.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Haha - ladies this is kinda funny but I have a tube of black honey lipstick by clinique in my room at the spa as well as one at home!! Its just one of those amazing colors that you can put on using no mirror and being on the go and its a quick "picker-upper" :) SMgray Im gonna have to go out and get me some of that eye makeup base as I dont think Ive really been 100% happy with some of the things Ive tried.

I looove Illuminating Mineral Veil by Bare Minerals even thought I dont like taht like of makeup very much. I like to put it just on top of my cheekbones where the light hits and it looks amazinggg. Along the same lines I love the Mac lustre drops and do the same thing or just mix into my moisturizer and slather it all over :D Perfume - I love chance by chanel, euphoria by calvin klein, and viva la juicy by juicy coutour!!(sp?). The first two FH got me hooked on.

For skincare I think ESPA has amazing products but I also think some may find it too rich for them. One cheapo product that I love - true match concealer (the liquid one). I think it has amazing coverage!!

I use a mixture of sugar and olive oil as a body exfoliant and find it amazing as well :)

Keep it coming ladies! :)

kellyheartsjeff Posts : 66 Registered: 2/25/09
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I swear up and down on YSL (Yves St. Laurent) mascara. It is pricey (I think $27 a tube) and you can only get it at higher end department stores (Nordstrom) but it is SO worth it! I have tried a number of different mascaras that are a little bit cheaper and easier to purchase, but I always go back to it... I did try teh BADgirl lash by Benefit - it's decent, but I'm going back to YSL. And they have some type of minerals/vitamins in the mascara that actually helps your lashes grow longer! The only other bad thing about the mascara is it dries out kind of fast - think 2 months.

MrsS - the illuminating mineral veil you were talking about - is that kind of like a blush? I use BareMineral products (I love them, better for your skin than liquid foundation but still gives you decent coverage), but I haven't used the illuminating mineral veil - only the regular mineral veil... I will have to check that one out next time I'm at Ulta though!

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: kellyheartsjeff

Haha you sold me on the "makes your lashes grow" part!! Mine arent super short thankfully but right at the point where you wish they were JUST a bit more longer!

The illuminating mineral veil isnt like a blush but its basically like all their other veils just with a slight shimmer to it, thus being "illuminating" hehe. You dont need a lot and and I dont know if I would want to put it ALL over someone's face like the regular veils but just the places you want to kinda highlight and brighten. Like I said, I just swept it across my cheekbones on top of what I had on already and that was it although I can see it being used in other places as well if you wanted to. Try it Im sure you'll like it esp since you already use bare minerals. And FYI I do agree about it being good for you and I think it gives GREAT coverage with some extra buffing where needed (I looooove their flat tipped brush) I just like to try a lot of different things and for special occasions such as weddings I wouldnt want to use it.

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I am a Bare Minerals junkie. I have all 4 of the diamond collections: champagne, pink, yellow and black. My favorite are black diamonds. I love their eyeshadows, but they don't last very long unless you use a primer.

As far as skincare, I have very sensitive skin. I use a brand called MyChelle. It works very well for me.

I'm not a big fan of fragranced products, but I do like some of the perfumes at Victoria's Secret. I love Sexy Little things and Pink.

kellyheartsjeff Posts : 66 Registered: 2/25/09
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Thanks for the info Mrs. S! I will try out a sample of the illuminating mineral veil the next time I am at the store... I understand what you mean about Bare Minerals not being the best for wedding day makeup - their stuff does come off easier than others - better for every day makeup than for special occasion days.

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: May 2, 2010 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: kellyheartsjeff

Ha, I'm a product junkie and MUA too! Have you checked out makeupalley.com? This is my other fave website besides brides.They have reviews for literally every single product on the market. I LOVE it! I guess I can list off some of my favorite products-

Face- Clinique skincare system (I use the acne prone,I have SUPER oily skin) and dramatically different moisturizing gel (nothing else like it out there!)

Eye cream - Fresh Lotus Eye Gel

Face Primer = MAC prep n Prime +SPF50

Eye Primer = Urban Decay Primer Potion

Foundation - MAC studio Fix Liquid, MAC Mineralize Skin Finish loose powder

Havent found a fave concealer yet.

Mascara - Drugstore= Lash Blast, High end= MAC plush lash

Eyeshadows= I mostly use MAC, cant live without Amber Lights for sure!

Lips = my holy grail red lipstick is MAC russian red, other than that I use every color lipstick, gloss, you name it. Mostly from MAC though.

Fragrance= my favorites right now are Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy or True Religion for women

Other than those products, I pretty much use everything. I'm a sephora and MAC junkie for sure!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

vintagegirlygirl Posts : 4 Registered: 7/28/10
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: mrscreamer2be

I'm a total BareMinerals Junkie too! I'm obsessed with how it feels on my face, it doesn't feel like I'm wearing any makeup. Sometimes I can go out with just my foundation on and a little blush and I'm not embarassed! And that's funny cause I'm not a fragrance person either -- although I'm obsessed with Victoria Secret's scents by the Body line. So natural and FI loves it :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

jessc2010 Posts : 19 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

shampoo - paul mitchell: tea tree lemon and sage
conditioner - john freida: root awakening
skin care - neutrogena: skin clearing pink grapefruit cleanser
body wash - bath and body works: warm vanilla sugar cream body wash
foundation and concealer - sheer cover
eye shadow - cover girl: exact eyelights
eye liner - cover girl: exact eyelights
lip gloss - Bath and Body works: C.O. bigelow
fragrance - Jessica Simpson: Fancy

seeclaire Posts : 1 Registered: 2/23/11
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Has anyone tried "Miss Marisa" for their wedding day perfume? Or as bridesmaids gifts?? I LOVED it and it was such a hit,(it's very unique and feminine, with sophistication)that I bought it for all my bridesmaids! People couldn't stop talking about how good we all smelled! haha. It was definitely my special day secret weapon :)

It's by Ebba Los Angeles. I bought it on their website.

~Claire

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: amdjelly

I love burt bee's chapstick!

:) love ya

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine