RSVP Cards/Online RSVPing

Online Users: 1,272 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
RSVP Cards/Online RSVPing
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 1:26 AM

My FH and I are planning on doing our RSVPs online to save on money and things are getting tight, we are already over budget, but with the increase in our guest list I realized that some of the people on there are not computer savy and do not get online or even own a computer.

Would it be bad to have RSVP cards for specific family members, like my great aunt and grandmother and then have another card we send to everyone else with the website and their RSVP codes?

Heck, I am still trying to figure out how to do the rsvp code card... I have my wedsite thru brides.com that has an rsvp page on it. I figured I would do it on a double sided card - one with the dinner choices (if we get the place we want, we get 6 choices for the main course) and the other side with each name and their code.

Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Edited by: alymar on Apr 10, 2010 1:26 AM

FutureMrsKlein Posts : 164 Registered: 5/2/09
Re: RSVP Cards/Online RSVPing
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 2:40 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

We didn't do the online RSVP, but from i've read here, they don't always work. And from what I can say, we've sent 2 peices of mail with our wedding website and told people about it like crazy. And we've had very few people go to the website. So it could be hard to get people to do there. You may be doing a lot of calling.

Posted: Apr 10, 2010 3:31 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsKlein

Yeah I have heard that. Its just the money for the cards and the stamps for the RSVPs and going over our budget even more then we already have and we still have more to do for the wedding. I need to talk it over with the FH when he comes in next week and see if we can come up with more money somehow. We aren't expecting 80% of the people are inviting to come and know that most of those that are have already let us know they will be there and are making their travel plans.

When is my wedding

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 8:55 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

Well people also don't send back the RSVP cards that you've paid for - people just don't RSVP, so you have to call them.

Personally, I have NO problems with RSVPing online, but I would also include a phone number. That way you cover people who are not computer savvy.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 10:52 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

Personally, I'd save myself the trouble and expense of printing two cards and simply give two options: online RSVP or a phone number to call. Even guests who don't use computers know how to use the phone.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

Dear Aly,

I got married before RSVP cards were common, and way before the internet was invented.

We just put "RSVP xxx-xxx-xxxx" at the bottom of the invitation with my parents' phone number. My parents' return address was on the envelope, should anyone prefer to mail in an RSVP on their own notepaper. (A few did.)

Most just called my mother to let her know they were coming. She kept a list of the guests by the telephone and just checked people off as they phoned in. Some called me instead of my mother, so I just told her when I talked with her every couple of days during the planning process.

That worked.

Posted: Apr 10, 2010 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I never thought of just doing a phone call... which in a way may be nice for people who are needing more information or have questions about the wedding since its a destination event. I really like that idea though! I am sure I design a card with the online rsvp information and phone number.

When is my wedding

Edited by: alymar on Apr 10, 2010 2:15 PM

Madyson31 Posts : 9 Registered: 12/23/09
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

we are doing a save the date online.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

Dear Aly,

" I never thought of just doing a phone call... which in a way may be nice for people who are needing more information or have questions about the wedding"

It worked for us. Besides, my mother was the all-time world's champion phone yakker. She could talk for hours on the phone. I still regret that she died before cell phones were invented. She would have been set up with headsets, Bluetooth, etc!

If you are having a destination wedding, chances are you don't have a giant guest list. A phone number for RSVP would be ideal, assuming someone can be there to answer the phone. Even if you have an answering machine, the guest can still leave a message to say, "Hubert and I will be there".

I'll add this: In my opinion, the wedding stationery companies have created a bunch of products that are really unnecessary. Nothing wrong with that - everyone's in business to make money. However, I suggest you stop and think that for generations, a simple invitation was all that went out to wedding guests. No Save The Dates. No RSVP cards. No personalized napkins.

All the bride really needed were invitations, a supply of thank you note cards and envelopes.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

FH and I decided not to do RSVP cards to save on paper and money, plus I've often heard that a majority of invited guests don't send them back and you'll end up calling them anyway.

We're enclosing a separate piece of paper with our invites for RSVP info. At the top is those four letters in a huge font, followed by a brief message encouraging guests to let us know if they will or will not attend through a phone call, text, or e-mail, followed by both of our contact information. We can print these at home, probably on bright orange paper, hehe.

We're assuming that most people are on their cells or computers 24/7, so given those options we're hoping people actually respond. I don't care HOW they do it-- they can even use Facebook or tell me to my face-- I just want to know! crosses fingers

FutureMrsKlein Posts : 164 Registered: 5/2/09
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 12:03 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

It never even occured to me to put a phone number on it for people to call. God I wish this thread was up about 3 months ago. :) Wonderful idea.

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

thank you aotb! And I agree, many of the things are just not necessary to me.

I spoke to my mom and she said she would be willing to field calls for me on the RSVPs - she works in education so she will be free in the summer and my schedule is unknown at this time with my move and everything.

Rose217 - we are going to print our own insterts as well. I want to get a nice sage green card paper to make them. With the RSVP information on one side and the dinner choices on the other.

When is my wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine