Need adivice ASAP!!!

Online Users: 1,307 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

JoelsPrettyPres... Posts : 41 Registered: 12/2/09
Need adivice ASAP!!!
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:09 PM

I just got off the phone with my fiance and turns out the manager above him was fired, and they want to promote him now. This is great! It has been what my fiance wanted for a long time. However they are switching his days off to Wednesday, Thursday, instead of Sunday Monday.

This wouldn't be a problem except we are driving to Prescott this weekend because we booked an appointment with the photographer I have been waiting to meet forever on the 11th! We also have an appointment with our reception venue right before the appointment with the photographer!

So whats the problem? Our daughter Katie. When we booked the appointments it was for the 11th a Sunday, meaning my father would be off work and willing to babysit. Also I don't have class on Sunday so it was perfect. Now this has happened and I don't know what to do.

I feel like we shouldnt bring Katie. We never have on any other appointment, it just didnt seem like the best idea, if you were or are the parent of a four year old you know why. So what do I do? I don't have a babysitter, I don't really wish to bring her, but we want to put our last deposit down and ask our questions to the venue and photographer. I really want to get this done, and I have been looking forward to it.

My niece has school and can't babysit, and I am actually skipping out on my sociology class to go on Wednesday instead of Sunday. My fiance tried to explain to his boss but they won't give him Sunday off. Urg! I am frustrated cause I can't think of a solution.

Anything anyone has to say would really really help cause I have no clue what I should do.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Need adivice ASAP!!!
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: JoelsPrettyPres...

Wait - so his schedule is being changed, effective immediately? And you've already changed the appt from Sunday to Wed so that he can attend, but now that means you don't have a babysitter?

Personally, I would have gone on Sunday without him, but if that's already been changed, then it looks like your only options are to find a babysitter or to take your daughter with you. You mentioned a few people who often watch her, but do you know anybody else who could watch her for a few hours? You said you're skipping class to go to this appointment - who usually watches her while you're in class? Or do you know anybody who might have a number of a good babysitter? If not, then pack some stuff for her to do and take her with you. It's either that or reschedule the appointment again.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: JoelsPrettyPres...

You have two options.

A. Bring your daughter. Give her a book or a toy or something that keeps her distracted. The vendors are going to have to deal with her on the wedding day anyways!

B. Get a babysitter. You don't have one now--but that doesn't mean you can't get one! I'm sure there are tons of responsible teenagers out there looking for a few extra bucks. A lot of the time I got babysitting jobs by word of mouth. Ask around.

Make sure your fiance gets your wedding date off! I see it's on a Sunday ;)

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Sorry if that was confusing. Yes his schedule is being changed immediately, due to the manager above him being fired rather abruptly i believe.

And as much as I wish I could attend without him, I cant, my car is in the shop for two weeks, and I cant drive his (its stick, yes I know its sad I cant drive stick) also he really very much wants to be there. I have not called as of yet to cancel or switch days, but I know both have open appointments on Wed and Thur.

I'm trying family up in Prescott to see if they can watch her for a few hours but it seems like they are all working. So still open to advice lol

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: JoelsPrettyPres...

Dear PPB,

Between me and my husband, we have a policy that say "Work Comes First (within reason)".

No, we are not work-o-holics.

Yes, we are interested in earning a living and getting a promotion is a really important part of earning a living.

A lot of people feel the same way.

If the appointments you have right now don't fit your FH's new work schedule, and if you cannot get any kind of babysitter, then you will just have to change the appointments or bring your daughter along.

Here is my suggestion.

Phone the two vendors and explain your situation. "I have two options. I can change the appointment or I can bring my four-year old daughter along with us. Which do you think is best?"

(The option of leaving your child alone, obviously, does not exist.)

Then, let the vendors make suggestions. They have been through this before, probably many times.

One might say "I'll bring my teenager along and she can look after your daughter while we go over your photography needs." Or, one might say "Bring her along; no problem. That happens all the time. I have a toy basket in the office to engage clients' children." Or, one might say "Actually, that original appointment is a bad time for me and it would be much better if we could reschedule."

Once you know how the vendors feel about it, you can make an informed decision.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Okay, I agree with the PP's. I babysat all through my teen years, and still babysit full time for my older brother, who has four kids. That said, I'm going to give you some tips on where to find the good babysitters that you can trust with Katie.

• Churches. Call up any local church, or look in their bulletin boards. I can personally guarantee you'll find at least two teenage kids posting looking for sitting jobs. There are also teenagers who help out in the nurseries during church service/mass for community service hours; I'm sure you could get their numbers.

• Local clubs like Women's Club (I don't know if you have one in your community, but I'd be surprised if you didn't), all of them have daughters/granddaughters who babysit, or can recommend good sitters from their daughters.

• Look for girls at your college (yes, YOUR college) who are specializing in child care/development (or even fellow nursing students).

Once you find a girl that you trust, write her a note that leaves her your cell number, your FH's cell number, and the numbers for all nearby family & friends who normally take care of Katie, along with any vital info, such as your address (I once had to run outside to check the address of a house I babysat for, and almost got locked out by a prankster kid. True story!). Start an easy dinner, like Mac n Cheese (or something else Katie likes) and have that just about ready by the time the siter gets there. Tell her where you'll be, and not to hesitate to call if she has any questions.

Most importantly, if she does a good job, tip her well, and SAVE HER NUMBER: You never know when one of your other family members may not be available to watch Katie again, and it's vital you leave her with people she is familiar with, not constant random babysitters.

Good luck!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Thank you Vantill, my main concern was that I have never ever left Katie with someone other than family, however you have given me a new avenue, I believe I will call up the church if no family members can watch Katie, thats seems best to me. And something I never thought of, thanks for that.

I will also, as AOTB suggested, try actually telling my venue the situation, they are going to have to deal with Katie being there at the reception anyway right? The photographer appointment though I feel would be to long for her to be still and quiet.

Thanks everyone. Still trying to sort it out, but I'm sure I will now.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: JoelsPrettyPres...

Hello again,

If you were coming to see me and told me of your problem, I would (and have) tell you to bring your 4 year old daughter with you. I have three kids (ages 3, 6, and 9) plus a wife. When we meet at my house, my wife will supervise the gang of kids. I guess that what I'm trying to say, is let Brooke know you have a child care issue. She may actually have a solution already in place.

Just another thing to think about, but your daughter is going to be with you on your wedding day. That means she is going to be around when the photos are taken etc.... You may want to make sure Brooke is able to get along with your daugher as well as yourself. An hour or two appointment is nothing compared to a complete 8-10 hour wedding day.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 6:34 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

I think Howard has made an excellent point about the photographer getting along with the child on the wedding day worth thinking about.

That being said, I still think it would be an excellent idea to find a non-family babysitter. I'm somewhat biased, as I babysit throughout high school, college and law school to earn money, but I think it's really important for children to be accustomed to being watched by someone (trustworthy) other than a family member prior to entering school. To me, it's worth the occasional investment in a non-family sitter for this as well as the convenience of an extra option when things come up.

Building on a couple of Van's suggestions, consider contacting the student center of a religious group at your local college. For example, during college, several of my babysitting jobs came where local parents would call the Catholic Student Center at my college to ask if they knew of any college kids interested in babysitting. (They did - me!) College students are great because they tend to have somewhat flexible schedules. I babysat a couple days a week from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm when I had afternoon classes, which let the mother run errands/work part time/etc.

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Just wanted to say I got what I wanted both ways! I asked FH grandma to look at the churches board of babysitters, she did and I called what she believed to be the best. We spoke and turns out she is my FH 2nd cousin by marriage anyway! ha ha , must be because it is a small town. Anyway Katie had a blast with her. I prepared them both a picnic basket full of goodies and great sandwiches, they played games and had a great time together. Just so happens her cat had kittens recently and Katie had the most wonderful time playing with all of them. What four year old girl wouldnt love to play with five kittens all to herself.

Thanks for the advice it worked out great! We had a great day wedding planning and eating lunch (while having a nice beer) in town, and Katie got to enjoy her day as well.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine