My Dress Fits Me Now

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
My Dress Fits Me Now
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 2:30 PM

I bought a discontinued sample that I'm in LOVE with, and it's my size right this minute. They had one other sample in a 10 (mines a 14) but I was afraid that I'd be asking for trouble if I bought a dress I couldn't fit into, even though I have plenty of time to lose the weight.

Here's my dilemma- I've put on 30 (sucks to admit that) pounds since I met my FH, because of what my mom calls "nesting" (sleeping late on the weekends and skipping my workout, going out to dinner a lot, ice cream and movie nights) and just generally spending a lot of time being in love and not as much time exercizing and dieting like I used to. Ideally, I'd like to get back to what my normal weight was before I met FH.

Is losing that much weight going to make it difficult to take my dress in? Is there a point when a dress is simply too big to take in to your size? I don't know how much weight I'm going to lose by the wedding (its 16 months away) but if I lose the full amount what's going to happen to my dress?

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Re: My Dress Fits Me Now
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: SMGray

It's always easier to take a dress in than to let it out. Any seamstress will tell you that. I only have a few years sewing experience, and I can tell you that.

How your dress is affected by your weight loss really depends on what kind of dress you purchased. Can you post a pic?

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: SMGray

It really depends on the dress. Like a PP said, it's easier to take a dress in than it is to let it out - but some dresses just can't be altered. Mine, for example, had to be made-to-measure and couldn't be altered. I was a little nervous about not being able to gain or lose a pound between the time I ordered it and the time I needed to wear it (I think 8 months), but I was the same weight and it fit like a glove. I would take it to a seamstress and ask how much it could be altered if necessary. I agree that it was smart to buy a dress that fits you now, rather than buying a smaller one with a plan to lose weight.

Honestly...if I were you, I would focus on improving my health and not worry about the dress for now. You have tons of time before your wedding. I would revisit the issue 8-9 months before the wedding. See how much weight you've lost and see whether the dress can be altered to fit. If it can, change your focus to maintaining your weight or perhaps toning up a little instead of dropping major pounds. If not, then you'll still have time to sell that dress and find another one in the right size.

You don't need to make major lifestyle changes to be healthier. You can sleep in and work out on the same day - I do it every weekend! You can still eat out - just make healthier choices when you're looking at the menu. And an ice cream night every now and then isn't going to harm you - just try to limit the frequency with which you go, or share an ice cream and let him eat most of it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Hopefully there is a picture of my dress under this. It's got a full skirt and a train with round buttons all the way down the back. What I would think could be a problem for taking it in is that it has some boning in the bodice which is really nicely covered (you can't even tell its there!) and it also has boned boobs- I don't know how to say it in a nicer way than that, if you were to poke me in the chest (please don't) you'd feel a strip of plastic holding the bust of my dress in place. I don't know how a seamstress would alter around those. I'm also taking some of the "stuff" out from under the skirt, I don't think I can manage an entire night in something so large on the bottom, so I need to de-pouf it a little.

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 11:24 PM Go to message in response to: SMGray

Check with the place you bought it... but its a pretty basic design without a bunch of things in the way of the seams so you should be okay.

As for how much weight - I worked out for a year and a half and lost 70lbs. And that was very slow progress from years of lethergy. If your body is used to working out - i would say aim for the 30lbs or the size you were when you first met.

BTW - love that dress. Tried one on like it but it looked horrible on me! :D

Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Edited by: alymar on Apr 7, 2010 11:24 PM

STARYB Posts : 20 Registered: 6/6/08
Posted: May 5, 2010 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

I have this same problem. I bought a beautiful dress in a size 14 but I'm trying to loose 40-50 lbs before my wedding. I'm worried because my dress has a lot of beading. It does have corset lacing though so hopefully that will help.
MBK Photography

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2010 4:33 AM Go to message in response to: STARYB

That is my issue right now. I bought a dress at size 16 that was post pregnancy. I was only a month pregnant but I could fit in it. Now I wonder if I can fit into it.

:) love ya

beachgal2004 Posts : 80 Registered: 2/6/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2010 4:35 AM Go to message in response to: SMGray

As far as losing 30lbs that isn't alot. I say if not do like 10lbs and try your dress on as you go.

:) love ya

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine